Author Topic: General, realistic, combat techniques. Help.  (Read 217 times)

oggotale

General, realistic, combat techniques. Help.
« on: May 27, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
I know the docs mentioned that Zalanthan physics can be different, and folks don't like to get too "anal" about the specifics of combat techniques.

Having said that, I'm really struggling to emote anything specific in combat situations beyond "eM STICKS ~BIG.LIZARD WITH THE POINTY END" or stuff that basically boils down to that. At the same time, I'm aware that there are some intricacies to the techniques used in combat in real life, albeit moreso in medieval times. It'd help me paint a better scene if someone could share any videos/resources that dwell into these techniques as practiced in real life, in terms of the specific actions involved in say, deflecting, or counter-attacking, or weaving to dodge, or whatever.

Resources for less-cool weapons (i.e. not-swords) would be useful too, say spears or warhammers or clubs.

P.S. I know there are already some nuances to the difference in say, northern and southern fighting styles, but I'm looking for more basic/universal tips that can help me portray realistic actions in combat as an alternative to "hit with pointy end" "hit again while smirking wickedly" "...grunt?" as I do now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:35:10 AM by oggotale »

MeTekillot

Re: General, realistic, combat techniques. Help.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 01:02:20 AM »
Watch martial arts movies if you want inspiration for emoting about being a badass. Watch fight videos if you want inspiration for emoting about jumping someone in an alleyway. Get beat up if you want inspiration for emoting about taking a beating.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

Krombat

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 01:07:20 AM »
Can confirm as a martial arts expert who jumps people in alleyways and has taken my fair share of beatings, I've never ran out of things to emote through personal experience.

MeTekillot

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 01:15:38 AM »
em tucks his chin to his chest and grimaces, eyes squeezed shut as he throws flailing punches.

em throws his shield against %opponent weapon arm, using the opening to gouge with %spear end.

em lunges forward and halts on the balls of ^me feet, jabbing down at %opponent leg instead.

em waggles the end of %spear and feints a few jabs before whipping his off-foot into %opponent ribs.

em steps from the shadows and smashes both maces into either side of %opponent head, lifting one again as !opponent crumples.

em tangles arms and legs with %opponent in a brief bout of grappling, sweeping ^opponent legs at the crux.

pemote feet dance about each other, obfuscating his intended next movement.

pemote body twists sinuously, keeping %opponent in arms reach while he dodges blows and lands bloody ones with ~dagger.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:21:30 AM by MeTekillot »
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

MeTekillot

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 01:25:35 AM »
em wheels back with his body arched away, batting %opponent blade with %axe haft as it zips too close.

em measures %opponent with a stony look, ~spear hefted while #me circles.

pemote feet stagger dangerously for balance after %opponent blow to his neck.

pemote lips pull away to bare ^me teeth, ~axe hacking bits of %opponent shield with a clamor.

oggotale

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 02:34:20 AM »
I appreciate the emotes! Good food for thought.

Okay so, I'm not shitting on folks that draw inspiration from cinema, but I meant to ask for techniques that were "realistic" in our world. It just irks me to portray my character otherwise, personally.

For example although I'm not interested in HEMA in particular, in so far as Im looking for realiatically viable techniques that are documented, something like http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Paulus_Hector_Mair is helpful

seems like a nice video too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:00:10 AM by oggotale »

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 08:31:59 AM »
Just gonna go ahead and alias all of those. Thanks MeTekillot. A good day's work.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?