Author Topic: The MASSIVE crafting echo open call!  (Read 1113 times)

Shabago

• Administrator
The MASSIVE crafting echo open call!
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:55:12 PM »
Hi there!

As you, the reader, are likely aware, we're undertaking a sizeable project that we're just calling "The Economy". Here's the thing! There's only so many ways I can think of to describe crafting efforts, and there are a LOT of crafts going into the game. Just on armor alone, we're looking at an additional 400 more to be made. When all is said and done, with those + weapons + clothes + tools + jewellery and so on, it'll be a good few thousand additions!

Help!

From the custom-craft help file:

Crafting echos:

$n is a short description, $e is he/she, $s is his/her, $g is his/hers, $l is him/herself.

Example:

Crafter Success: You carefully carve a skull into the piece of bone you were holding. Room Success: $n carefully carves a skull into the piece of bone $e was holding within $s grasp. Crafter Failure: You break the piece of bone, causing white dust to waft all over you. Room Failure: $n breaks the piece of bone, causing white dust to waft all over $l.

What I'm looking for are generic craft echos that can be applied to an assortment of items!

Success to crafter:
Working with the (leather, bone, shell, chitin, wood, obsidian) you complete the _________
Success to room:
Working with the (any given material here), $n completes the _________
Failure to crafter:
You ruined the (any given material here) while trying to make __________
Failure to room:
$N ruins the (any given material here) with rather clumsy efforts.

As you all don't really know what the complete item would be, don't worry on the ________ blank portion. Arilou or I (or any other victim on staff) will fill that in for you!

Let your creative juices flow, craft-loving sorts! Use your $n $l $e and so on to your hearts content! It will be dearly, dearly appreciated.

Submit a Game related: Question request, attention Shabago with as many as you like!

Much thanks, guys!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:45:31 PM by Shabago »
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
Re: The MASSIVE crafting echo open call!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »
Submit a Game related: Submission request, attention Shabago with as many as you like!

Is this a staff-only category?  I only have Website > Original Submissions for submissions, which doesn't seem appropriate.

Maybe a Game Related > Question request?
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Shabago

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
Submit a Game related: Submission request, attention Shabago with as many as you like!

Is this a staff-only category?  I only have Website > Original Submissions for submissions, which doesn't seem appropriate.

Maybe a Game Related > Question request?

Game related Question sounds perfect. Maybe my own request tool is acting funky - I have the option and showing as not locked behind 'Staff'. Time to bug a coder! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

James de Monet

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:22:58 PM »
I realize I would probably do better to just submit to the call, but I’m on my phone, so FWIW, I prefer room failure messages that leave space for interpretation.  Something along the lines of “$n is unable to shape the (material), setting aside the useless scraps.” or something.  That way the crafter can RP the failure to their skill level (human error, material failure, tool failure, etc.). It’s always awkward being a coded “master” crafter and having room fail messages that paint your PC as a novice. (Like “$n mangles the (material), failing to make anything useful.”)
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Riev

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
I realize I would probably do better to just submit to the call, but I’m on my phone, so FWIW, I prefer room failure messages that leave space for interpretation.  Something along the lines of “$n is unable to shape the (material), setting aside the useless scraps.” or something.  That way the crafter can RP the failure to their skill level (human error, material failure, tool failure, etc.). It’s always awkward being a coded “master” crafter and having room fail messages that paint your PC as a novice. (Like “$n mangles the (material), failing to make anything useful.”)

The master-chef drops the succulent steak into the dirt.

+1 to the above. Give room to allow for PC interpretation while also not just saying "$n fails to produce anything useful"
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Shabago

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
Double noting here:

First: For those of you who have already submitted in one fashion or another - THANK YOU. You'll be hearing back from me soon. Any/all I receive will surely see usage with how many we have to work through, in one fashion or another.

Second: The feedback on the echos is received. I'll try to work with it as best I might on these new ones going in.

Pretentious

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »
Are you still looking for more submissions here as well?

Shabago

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 09:44:31 AM »
Bring it on.