Not New, but Seems Best Place To Ask

Started by BrokenRomance, May 21, 2019, 01:02:40 PM

Does anyone know how to made wordpad format to the exact width to write for the form on the MUD to apply for a character? I feel so rude every time finding out that I sent in a description that the staff had to format for me because it was the right size in my notepad, but not in the game.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

If you hit .f

Then .s it will format it and show it to you before you finish the editor.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 21, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Does anyone know how to made wordpad format to the exact width to write for the form on the MUD to apply for a character? I feel so rude every time finding out that I sent in a description that the staff had to format for me because it was the right size in my notepad, but not in the game.

I usually use notepad and type out 77 characters as a range to keep

Like this:

..and then try and make the description stop or new line after the edge.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This thread has some useful tips for using the editor: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,54513.msg1027629.html#msg1027629

All of the tips for boards, scrolls, etc. apply to the character editor, tdesc, or anything that activates the editor.

Be sure to use a monospace (fixed-width or unispace) font (where every letter takes up the same amount of space) such as courier, courier new, lucida console, monaco, and consolas.

I also suggest Notepad++. It will keep track of line numbers (amongst other things) so you can confirm you have a full line break at the appropriate places.

BEHOLD!

http://tools.zenverse.net/word-wrap/
http://appincredible.com/online/word-wrap/

Insigne found these, not me, but I wish it had been me. I use them like crazy.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Definitely don't use a "hard return." People viewing with different font sizes or different
types of
fonts would end up seeing things look something like this.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]
Using a hard return is fine
as long as you do not
exceed the line buffer.

It's when you do exceed the buffer and use a return or do not format that
you
sometimes see an auto format appear or word wrap in unexpected
places.

This is based on character count, not visible location
which is why monospace font is important when
composing.

May 25, 2019, 09:04:24 AM #8 Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:16:02 AM by path
For me, when I'm entering anything into the mud text editor, hard return is ideal as long as the buffer length is correct, because then I don't even have to fuss about reformatting. It goes much faster.

But when I do format, I always use .i
This indents your paragraph. You can use it on scrolls, and also in tdesc, as well as the rare times when you're submitting a new character mdesc. .h will show you all the different text editing options, including a spell checker.

I wanted to add, .c
Which will clear whatever you've already written. I use that to make multiple paragraphs by submitting the first paragraph, indenting it (using .i) then I paste it into separate notepad and clear it (.c) then repeat with the following paragraphs. Finally I can paste what I've put in the notepad and it will come out perfectly indented with the right character count.

This is especially nice for scrolls, but I mainly use it in backgrounds.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?