PETS!

Started by oggotale, May 20, 2019, 05:01:26 PM

May 20, 2019, 05:01:26 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:22:38 PM by oggotale

Fennec Fox

Look at that desert qt.
There are other small mammals that have evolved to exist in the desert ecosystem, although Zalanthas only seems to have big-bad bois up and about.

It might be interesting to have coded beasts that can be hitched, but not mounted, and can't hold anything, but can can enter interiors, and also occasionally make idle emotes the same way mounts do, except cuter emotes.
They could act as pets for nobles, or the soft-spot of otherwise rugged and crusty raiders, not only do they add a good amount of flavor, nobles might commission hunting squads to look for one of them (these missions seemingly being a lot more common to create plots than exotic mounts because of the zero coded advantages/disadvantages to having the pet around, and the possibility of having them around to show-off during indoor events).
Maybe an enemy noble beheads a naughty noble's beloved fox and throws its head in their bed to show they mean business. Or maybe their favorite cat goes missing, oof "what a tragedy", the plotter says.
Maybe a stray pet ends up becoming a lone-foot celf's only friend.

Seems to be loads of ways this can add flavor for socialites or others (which inevitably has the potential to spill-over as plot/hook options for other groups), what do y'all think?
I couldn't find this discussed before, was it?

Problem: Realistically, not every single person has a pet. They're hard to take care of, that's what stops people. On the other hand everyone in MMOs has pets because they're fun and have zero OOC cost. It might be the case here that if pets were introduced EVERY social char would want one, maybe, and it'd be a shit-show if everyone of them roams around with their mini-mammal behind them, making Red's a petting zoo (since it isn't unrealistic for THEM to own it, but it's just unrealistic for EVERYONE to own it, and, who doesn't want a qt fox really. It's a bad equilibrium). If they were ever introduced (pipe dreaming) they'd have to be pretty rare, and expensive.

May 20, 2019, 05:16:23 PM #1 Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:18:06 PM by oggotale
Del.

it has happened before and some players basically poo-pooed it as immersion breaking and so it remains rare to get any pet that doesn't fit in your hand.

Go get yourself some desert lizards or birds in the meantime.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on May 20, 2019, 05:39:31 PM
it has happened before and some players basically poo-pooed it as immersion breaking and so it remains rare to get any pet that doesn't fit in your hand.

Go get yourself some desert lizards or birds in the meantime.

B-but I can't show them off in taverns.
I can see where the immersion breaking thing comes from now that I think about it (although I think having them be very, very, rare counteracts this). Is it still codedly possible to get room-living pets though, even if they're extremely rare?
And I don't mean a as-good-as-dead-grasshoper that lives in your inventory (cough-pocket-cough).

The people who can afford pets already have them: they're called aides.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 20, 2019, 05:48:19 PM
The people who can afford pets already have them: they're called aides.

No, I'm talking about the kind you CAN'T mudsex.

...unless you're a Fale.

You Mudsex anything if you try hard enough.

You can mudsex everything if you just fade to black.

>em arrives, FTB's with the whole room and falls asleep satisfied.
>quit
The attractive curly-haired aide exclaims, in southern-accented sirihish, "I'm pregnant."
The tall black-haired man exclaims, in southern-accented sirihish, "Am I pregnant?"
Someone says, from behind a potted plant, in southern-accented sirihish, "....I didn't consent to this."
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."