What exactly is the class-lifestyle relationship?

Started by oggotale, May 20, 2019, 11:26:38 AM

From the helpfile, "A class is a term used to describe the lifestyle which a person has selected."

Is it considered exploitative to say, pick a Stalker as a nobleman just for the scan and listen, without any regard to how your character, given his lifestyle and background, is picking up the entire packet of potentials that come with being a "stalker"?

I.e. is it considered bad play to pick a class without regard to your character's background.

Have apps been rejected because of such dissonance? Or is this not a concern and your class is seen as purely OOC.

Pick the class/subclass with the skillset that you think most accurately reflects what your character would be able to do, given their background.

I'd question why a noble would be a master at wilderness listen, but sure:  if you think the most important thing about their background is being very perceptive, miscreant, stalker, or laborer would be fine choices, regardless of the remainder of the skills.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 20, 2019, 12:10:05 PM
Pick the class/subclass with the skillset that you think most accurately reflects what your character would be able to do, given their background.

I'd question why a noble would be a master at wilderness listen, but sure:  if you think the most important thing about their background is being very perceptive, miscreant, stalker, or laborer would be fine choices, regardless of the remainder of the skills.

Right, so, let's say they're very perceptive, is it okay to choose laborer then? Even if they haven't say, worked a day of hard labor in their life?

This would mean seeing the classes as just different "bundles" of skills, and you choose the bundle best able to reflect your character, independent of the flavor text regarding their descriptions (which would usually align, except in these exceptions).

Is this alright to do though, I THINK I remembered some doc about how your background should reflect how your character aligns with the entire subguild he's chosen.

So if, my character realistically picked up the ability to have kick, subdue, sap, flee and bash. But is in no way a "Thug", say he's a goodie goodie lawabiding citizen, it's still okay for him to choose the Thug subguild?

Yes. That's okay.

Classes and subclasses are just skillsets.  They aren't guidelines or restrictions on how to play your character.  Pick your class and subclass based on the skills you think your PC should have, based on whatever background you invented for them.  If they have no reason to use any of the extra skills, then don't use them, and don't worry about it.  End of story.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: oggotale on May 20, 2019, 01:13:20 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on May 20, 2019, 12:10:05 PM

Right, so, let's say they're very perceptive, is it okay to choose laborer then? Even if they haven't say, worked a day of hard labor in their life?

This would mean seeing the classes as just different "bundles" of skills, and you choose the bundle best able to reflect your character, independent of the flavor text regarding their descriptions (which would usually align, except in these exceptions).

Is this alright to do though, I THINK I remembered some doc about how your background should reflect how your character aligns with the entire subguild he's chosen.

So if, my character realistically picked up the ability to have kick, subdue, sap, flee and bash. But is in no way a "Thug", say he's a goodie goodie lawabiding citizen, it's still okay for him to choose the Thug subguild?

I once played a Sergeant of the Arm that had the 'Outlaw' subguild, and he was, for a while, was a big huge champion.

Subclasses are names, for the most part.

Outlaw doesn't mean you are literally an outlaw.

Gladiator hella doesn't mean you are a literal gladiator.

I literally chose an extended sub-guild that did ZERO for my character, purely because it was the only thing really fitting with the background I had. So I'm down a karma point (no idea how the system works now) for absolutely no benefit except for a very small boost to skills at the start which became obsolete within five days playtime. No regrets, it's what my character was about.
Free your hate.