Author Topic: Playing an elf in Red Storm  (Read 818 times)

Eyeball

Playing an elf in Red Storm
« on: May 19, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
EDIT: Nevermind. City elves can only start in Allanak now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:17:06 PM by Eyeball »

Nameless Face

Re: Playing an elf in Red Storm
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
Why?

There are elves all over.

oggotale

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:16:23 AM »
Is it lore-treason to have your celf shift out to Red Storm?
I remember hearing someone say it's canon for celfs to get super uneasy in any non-I-was-born-here locations.

EDIT: Disregard actually, the above wouldn't make sense unless all the elf NPCs in storm are secret breeds.

Cabooze

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:36:27 AM »
Is it lore-treason to have your celf shift out to Red Storm?
I remember hearing someone say it's canon for celfs to get super uneasy in any non-I-was-born-here locations.

EDIT: Disregard actually, the above wouldn't make sense unless all the elf NPCs in storm are secret breeds.

The Celf philosophy: If there's walls, it can be home.

The Delf philosophy: If there's walls, it can't be home.

oggotale

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »
I guess celfs can virtually be born and raised in Red Storm, but PCs don't have this opportunity.
Not sure why this'd be the case though? I'm actually curious.

Riev

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
I only just recently had a city elf who was based out of Luir's, back when it was still Luir's.

I think it made sense as to why they were there, and for a time, they even thrived.

City elves can set down roots in any walled place. But with the caveat (to me, at least) that they aren't suited for desert travel so they are basically citybound. Allanak offers a very large area to be city-bound in. Red Storm does not.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Dar

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
Not too long ago there was a special apped elf family that were allowed by staff to start in Red Storm. I wasnt part of it, but I got the impression that "nobody" was happy. For Celves to start in RS, is very conducive to those celves becoming gimped delves and playing completely unlike celves. That's the impression I got from the remote distance.

So at the very least. The question did come up. The staff did willingly, or unwillingly "tried" to allow celves start in RS and it ended up a shitshow. So my guess would be that the reason celves cant start in RS is not due to theme, or canon, but sheer playability reasons.

Miradus

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »

We allow city elves to join the Byn and in effect become "gimped delves" and spar-bots. Why not allow a city elf to start in Luir's or Red Storm if that's what they desire?

Yeah, they're going to have to deal with a smaller play-area and a harsher crimcode and smaller pool of potential victims ... but that's player choice.

As to the elven app family that started in Red Storm, I wouldn't hardly consider it a "failure". Lack of longevity isn't failure. They had a good run, involved themselves in many things, and are remembered today in game. The obstacles they had to overcome were just due to the in-game situation at the time, not particularly limitations of code.

I dislike the perception that "these other guys failed so let's limit all future attempts." There's no "failure" in a collaborative storytelling game. Everyone, no matter how short-lived, played a part. Even if it was just "this guy I overheard talking in the bar about spiders." But specifically, the perceived failures of others often inspires new attempts.

Krath

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
Shouldn’t city elves be able to start in any city/outpost/village?
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

ghanima

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:28:53 AM »
According to the racial RP on elves, all elves (including the city variety) are nomadic in nature. The way this manifests in a city elf is that they can sort of shift around throughout the different districts. They can effectively disappear in a giant city-state where populations swell.

In a village or a small outpost, where everyone knows everyone else's business and no one has any privacy, this isn't really possible. A city elf is not apt to feel caged or confined in an actual city, but they certainly would in a village. Also, elves being thieves by nature means they are statistically likely (no, I didn't say always) to be involved in crime. In places like Red Storm there is effectively zero tolerance for crime, where getting caught is an immediate on the spot death sentence.

All this means that while technically an elf could be permanently settled in Red Storm, it's extremely unlikely any would want to. Their very nature means that a destitute elf living in miserable, even life threatening conditions in the Rinth is more in his element than any village elf ever would be in theirs.

oggotale

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »
According to the racial RP on elves, all elves (including the city variety) are nomadic in nature. The way this manifests in a city elf is that they can sort of shift around throughout the different districts. They can effectively disappear in a giant city-state where populations swell.

In a village or a small outpost, where everyone knows everyone else's business and no one has any privacy, this isn't really possible. A city elf is not apt to feel caged or confined in an actual city, but they certainly would in a village. Also, elves being thieves by nature means they are statistically likely (no, I didn't say always) to be involved in crime. In places like Red Storm there is effectively zero tolerance for crime, where getting caught is an immediate on the spot death sentence.

All this means that while technically an elf could be permanently settled in Red Storm, it's extremely unlikely any would want to. Their very nature means that a destitute elf living in miserable, even life threatening conditions in the Rinth is more in his element than any village elf ever would be in theirs.

What about the NPCs then?

rinthrat

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »

There are plenty of elf NPCs in Storm. It's just players that aren't allowed to start there.

ghanima

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 12:12:33 AM »
I'm just explaining my own personal reasoning as to why an elf would not likely live in Red Storm (visiting might be a different matter). However, there's a good chance that the NPCs were made before the documentation on elves was rolled out. Or simply made by someone who hadn't considered the elven documentation closely. It's my personal belief that even those NPCs would be outliers among their kind. And if they're not outliers, then like an elf in the Byn or working for a merchant house, they're still looked down upon by the rest of their elven peers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:49:05 AM by ghanima »

Cerelum

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 12:41:22 AM »
Just create in allanak and walk your happy ass down there.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.