Author Topic: Contribute to a Graphic Bestiary and Common Sights?  (Read 1331 times)

oggotale

Contribute to a Graphic Bestiary and Common Sights?
« on: May 19, 2019, 03:23:15 AM »
As a new-player without any tabletop RP/MUD exposure, some of the names for animals and beasts were bewilderingly, frustratingly, un-intuitive (You call that psychic, eldrich, monstrosity a... "Gaj", rlly Dark Sun? That sounds like something I'd call my pet Half-Giant. And a MEKILLOT isn't some kind of giant arthropod? An inix isn't a bird? What kind of culture came up with this, what do they call cuckoos in Zalanthas? Winged Kilmaschimmers?).

Given this, and the difficulty of any summarized mdesc creating both flavor AND a good mental image (also given that sometimes one cannot be arsed to read through an entire mdesc when all that one needs/wants/wills to retain is the mental picture of "BIG LIZARD"), it would be nice if we can gather pictures and post them here for the most common beasts of Zalanthas (other than the ones we don't need a mental picture for, such as Rats, Oxens, Hawks, Silt Horrors, etc, you know, the kind of stuff we see in everyday life already and know about). 
Other common objects present in Zalanthas and not in the real world would be nice to post too (although there seem to be less of these).

I'll post some here later.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:28:12 AM by oggotale »

oggotale

Re: Contribute to a Graphic Bestiary and Common Sights?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 03:26:02 AM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:28:40 AM by oggotale »

Alesan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
There used to be a thread somewhere of a bunch of posted images of creatures of Zalanthas/Dark Sun. If I find it, I'll link to it.

Namino

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:38:17 PM »
Keep in mind that these are pictures of named animals from DARK SUN, and Armageddon has strayed more and more consistently away from that source material, due to creative processes and also due to, iirc, some chewing of the fat with WoC from back in the day. That being said, here are some dark sun images:

ANAKORE:

BRAXAT:

CILOPS:

SPIDER:

ELF:

DWARF:

INIX:

KANK (RIP):

GAJ:

THI-KREEN (MANTIS):

SILT-HORROR:

TEMBO:

MEKILLOT:

Riev

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
"spider".

I needed the visual.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Namino

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »
"spider".

I needed the visual.

I almost did the crystal spiders from DS but the arm spiders aren't described that way.  ;D

oggotale

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the contributions!

Just don't post war beetles, it already irks me OOCly to know my character is roaming around sitting on a giant fucking bug.

Also, what's up with Dark-Sun and the grotesque number of reptiles they've put in to the game lol. It's like if I see a beast I haven't look'd at my best response is to assume it's some kind of big lizard, or a bug. Never was a dinosaur lover.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:19:27 PM by oggotale »

Namino

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
Reptiles and arthropods are typically good at avoiding desiccation due to keratinized epithelium and uric acid excretion instead of urea (the latter of which is costly because it needs to be co-transported in water) in reptiles and exoskeletons in insects. That's why deserts IRL have a large amount of their biomass represented by arthropods (spiders, scorpions, tarantula hawks) or reptiles (gila monsters, horny toads, crotaline snakes, coachwhips). So it's logical a desert dominated ecosystem like Zalanthas/Athas would be the same.

oggotale

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
Reptiles and arthropods are typically good at avoiding desiccation due to keratinized epithelium and uric acid excretion instead of urea (the latter of which is costly because it needs to be co-transported in water) in reptiles and exoskeletons in insects. That's why deserts IRL have a large amount of their biomass represented by arthropods (spiders, scorpions, tarantula hawks) or reptiles (gila monsters, horny toads, crotaline snakes, coachwhips). So it's logical a desert dominated ecosystem like Zalanthas/Athas would be the same.

As intended, that sounds pretty legit.

This does not change the fact that I want more pretty. Where the fox/antelopes/camels/cats at.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:48:45 PM by oggotale »

John

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
Your playing the wrong game if you want pretty. At least since the closure of Tuluk.

Namino

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
These pictures are less quality but they're from the Terrors of Athas publication (Dark Sun monster manual):

ERDLU:

GAJ:

GITHYANKI (Gith):

HALF-GIANT (lol):

INIX:

MAGERA:

KANK:

JOZHAL (definitely not depicted as this in Arm):

MANTIS/THI-KREEN:

TEMBO:

SAND WORM:

MUL:

SCRABS (lol):

SILT HORROR:

MEKILLOT (lol again, though the tongue thing is part of their stat block in DS and is pretty freaking hilarious):

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:14:15 PM by Namino »

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
I always imagined inix more like turtles, and I prefer the above images.

Thanks you guys.

Planning to just play in Allanak forever now.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Aruven

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »
Do we have any artists around interested in taking the main descs from IG and making a catalogue?

perfecto

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 01:15:23 AM »
Namino those sketches are something alright, the only one that chimes with me is the tembo, but it needs folded back ears and moar muscle.   Every other one, I send it back! Not imaginitive enough Like a cold plate at a skeeezy diner.

That's just me though, no offense.

I imagine the Gaj to be way more snail-like with a huge shell, only coming out to wrap the electric tentacles around its' prey when hungry. . . Come to think of it . . . there really aren't enough Gaj in the game world.  Imms!  please put one just outside the west gates of Allanak, just for fun.    ;D
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.