Tools. Do they exist for every craft?

Started by Cerelum, May 15, 2019, 07:33:47 PM

I've noticed tools for almost everything except for armormaking.  Is there some specific tool for that, or does it go to the type of material, IE Leather armor is using leatherworking tools.

I mean that's how I assumed, but then what deals with Chitin and Shells?

I don't believe there is a tool that grants a bonus to the armormaking skill.  If one actually does exist, it may not be readily available.  I'm not exactly sure why that is, as it seems that most other craft skills do have tools that grant such a bonus. 

I'm not sure if tanning does either (though there are items in game that seem to suggest they might, from their descriptions).

Leatherworking does have tools that grant a bonus.

Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I can confirm that tanning has skill boosting tools, some of which can be made out of very easily obtainable materials, and it's exactly the tool that you'd think it would be.

I haven't seen tools that grant a bonus to:

Armor making
Armor repair
Axe making
Bandagemaking
Basketweaving
Bowmaking
Clubmaking
Dyeing
Featherworking
Floristry
Instrumentmaking
Pick making
Spear making
Sword making
Tent making
Toolmaking
Wagonmaking

It would seem that the existence of a tool that grants a bonus for a specific craft is about 50/50, according to my experience:

Brew (maybe)
Clayworking
Clothworking
Cooking
Fletchery
Knife making
Jewelrymaking
Leatherworking
Lumberjacking (maybe)
Stonecrafting
Tanning
Woodworking

Of course, my experience isn't definitive, but it's probably in the ballpark.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Um, some of the 'haven't seen' above you can find from ordering with local Merchant House people.

So...like I said...ballpark.

The point is that armormaking not having an associated tool (if that's even correct--I simply haven't ever found one that added a noticeable bonus) isn't an oversight.  Lots of crafting skills don't have bonus-granting associated tools.

And to add:  armormaking is so powerful in terms of 'sid generation that honestly...you can deal with the failure rate, unless you are completely incompetent at trading.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 15, 2019, 11:27:03 PM
I haven't seen tools that grant a bonus to:

Armor making - Tools exist and can be found.
Armor repair - ?????
Axe making - Tools exist
Bandagemaking - ????? (I believe I have something in my inventory right now that exists for this)
Basketweaving  - ??????
Bowmaking - Tools exist for this
Clubmaking - ?????
Dyeing - ?????
Featherworking - ?????
Floristry -??????
Instrumentmaking - ??????
Pick making - Tools exist for this
Spear making - Tools exist
Sword making - Tools exist
Tent making - ??????
Toolmaking - ????
Wagonmaking (yeah right)

It would seem that the existence of a tool that grants a bonus for a specific craft is about 50/50, according to my experience:

Brew (maybe)
Clayworking
Clothworking
Cooking
Fletchery
Knife making
Jewelrymaking
Leatherworking
Lumberjacking (maybe)
Stonecrafting
Tanning
Woodworking

Of course, my experience isn't definitive, but it's probably in the ballpark.

I jumped in on what I know. I'm iffy on one or two and obviously question marks remain a mystery to me as well, though I can knock a couple of those listed items for sure.

So like, guys, some tools that just say like household or whatever, I forget the right word, they actually might give a bonus to some of these. It's like a limitation or something with the like code because there's a tool on that list that doesn't say it gives a bonus and doesn't say it helps that skill, but like it does. I don't want to reveal too much though.

It just always seemed odd to me that we have leatherworking knives, chisels and such, but nothing I can see that actually works on Chitin or Shells.

Quote from: teacup on May 16, 2019, 12:03:08 AM
Um, some of the 'haven't seen' above you can find from ordering with local Merchant House people.

But you need to know they exist and what to ask for first. Merchant House people don't seem to be running any campaign of awareness about them, if they even know themselves.

Quote from: Eyeball on May 16, 2019, 01:24:28 AM

But you need to know they exist and what to ask for first. Merchant House people don't seem to be running any campaign of awareness about them, if they even know themselves.

Don't know who you're asking IC or if you're going off like old experiences, but there's people in them that know.

Quote from: teacup on May 16, 2019, 02:38:16 AM
Quote from: Eyeball on May 16, 2019, 01:24:28 AM

Don't know who you're asking IC or if you're going off like old experiences, but there's people in them that know.

Then maybe those people should advertise those so that the rest of the player base is even slightly aware that the game has a tool to aid in making thingamabobs.

I wrote something, but then decided maybe I don't know enough, so nevermind!

May 16, 2019, 11:54:27 AM #13 Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:56:00 AM by Brokkr
I need to admit something.  Sometimes you all confuse the hell out of me with your posts.

It shouldn't take much time using tools to figure out that the message in assess has to do with which tool type the tool is, rather than anything to do with the bonus it may or may not confer to different crafting skills.

It also shouldn't take much time with a crafting skill and relevant tools to figure out which tools help with crafts.  Once upon a time it was more difficult than it is now, as you had to know a recipe, not be able to craft it, equip a tool and suddenly you could craft it.  So it took a couple of characters and some knowledge, or some luck.  Now, you literally type craft <whatever>, see what you can make at what difficulty levels, and if you equip a tool and the difficulty level changes, then that tool has a bonus to that craft.  Iterate and you should get a pretty good idea over time.

The bonus is not always consistent by tool type, they are set manually and certainly can diverge.  Some non-tool type items give bonus. There is nothing that gives a bonus to crafting stuff of a particular material type, it is all by crafting skill.

Some of the below Nopes may be yes, because it is difficult to definatively search for this stuff, but at a minimum there are there tools that give a bonus to:

Armor making - Yes
Armor repair - Yes, but made by a closed clan.
Axe making - Nope
Bandagemaking - Yes
Basketweaving  - Nope
Bowmaking - Yes
Clubmaking - Nope
Dyeing - Yes
Featherworking - Nope
Floristry - Nope
Instrumentmaking - Yes
Pick making - Nope
Spear making - Nope
Sword making - Yes
Tent making - Nope
Toolmaking - Yes, but made by a closed clan.
Wagonmaking - Nope
Brew - Yes
Clayworking - Yes
Clothworking - Yes
Cooking - Yes
Fletchery - Yes
Knife making  - Yes
Jewelrymaking -Yes
Leatherworking - Yes
Lumberjacking - Yes
Stonecrafting - Yes
Tanning - Yes
Woodworking - Yes

So, in conclusion, Cerelum stop being n00b and why is Midori's hair not green?

Quote from: Brokkr on May 16, 2019, 11:54:27 AM
I need to admit something.  Sometimes you all confuse the hell out of me with your posts.

It shouldn't take much time using tools to figure out that the message in assess has to do with which tool type the tool is, rather than anything to do with the bonus it may or may not confer to different crafting skills.

It also shouldn't take much time with a crafting skill and relevant tools to figure out which tools help with crafts.  Once upon a time it was more difficult than it is now, as you had to know a recipe, not be able to craft it, equip a tool and suddenly you could craft it.  So it took a couple of characters and some knowledge, or some luck.  Now, you literally type craft <whatever>, see what you can make at what difficulty levels, and if you equip a tool and the difficulty level changes, then that tool has a bonus to that craft.  Iterate and you should get a pretty good idea over time.

The bonus is not always consistent by tool type, they are set manually and certainly can diverge.  Some non-tool type items give bonus. There is nothing that gives a bonus to crafting stuff of a particular material type, it is all by crafting skill.

Some of the below Nopes may be yes, because it is difficult to definatively search for this stuff, but at a minimum there are there tools that give a bonus to:

Armor making - Yes
Armor repair - Yes, but made by a closed clan.
Axe making - Nope
Bandagemaking - Yes
Basketweaving  - Nope
Bowmaking - Yes
Clubmaking - Nope
Dyeing - Yes
Featherworking - Nope
Floristry - Nope
Instrumentmaking - Yes
Pick making - Nope
Spear making - Nope
Sword making - Yes
Tent making - Nope
Toolmaking - Yes, but made by a closed clan.
Wagonmaking - Nope
Brew - Yes
Clayworking - Yes
Clothworking - Yes
Cooking - Yes
Fletchery - Yes
Knife making  - Yes
Jewelrymaking -Yes
Leatherworking - Yes
Lumberjacking - Yes
Stonecrafting - Yes
Tanning - Yes
Woodworking - Yes

So, in conclusion, Cerelum stop being n00b and why is Midori's hair not green?

Appreciate the answer, I can't stop being n00b though,  final question from me on the topic.  Are all the tools that work for all these crafts minus the closed clan one craftable with toolmaking skill?

Many are craftable.  Some can be purchased through NPC merchants.  Some can be purchased via GMH.

Not going to go through to tell you craft by craft though.  There are a lot of items that give bonuses.

If there are tools made by a clan that is closed to play, can those tools be introduced to the game, or are they just going to be cut off from availability because they belong to a dead clan?

What items help bandagemaking?

Scissors?

Quote from: Jihelu on May 16, 2019, 05:35:02 PM

Scissors?

I don't think so cause I tried them and didn't notice a difference in ease of use.

There's a kit that helps. It's admittedly not readily available.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Now, you literally type craft <whatever>, see what you can make at what difficulty levels, and if you equip a tool and the difficulty level changes, then that tool has a bonus to that craft.  Iterate and you should get a pretty good idea over time.

The bonus is not always consistent by tool type, they are set manually and certainly can diverge.

These two statements are confusing together. Will a tool for a craft, if it adds a bonus, ALWAYS change how easy the craft looks to complete? If there are tools in game that look like they are for a particular craft but don't change how difficult a craft is, should they be reported as bugged?

I believe based on what I've experienced (and correct me if I'm mistaken) that the bonus a tool provides is numerical and therefore, you won't always see the verbal difficulty changing.

Kind of like (low) advanced (high) advanced applies to cap level of skills.

You could have a tool that is effectively making (barely) manageable into (probably) manageable but you cannot see the numerical bonus. I have definitely used tools and felt a craft failure was decreased though the verbal difficulty level was unchanged.

Is this an accurate observation?

You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

May 17, 2019, 05:57:58 PM #22 Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:42:38 PM by only_plays_tribals
Quote from: Cerelum on May 16, 2019, 05:46:49 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on May 16, 2019, 05:35:02 PM

Scissors?

I don't think so cause I tried them and didn't notice a difference in ease of use.

There is at least one type of scissors that helps. Can confirm having them equipped reduced the verbal difficulty on a bandage making craft for me once.

I think the difference was the line on assess said they were good for "fabric" working instead of something like "cloth" working? I can't remember precisely but for sure I encountered two types of scissors and one kind was fabric and the other was something else. The fabric working helped. The other one did not help that I could detect.

Edit: Bandage scissors (that I know of) assess as fabric working not cloth my bad.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Quote from: Alesan on May 17, 2019, 05:05:02 PM
Now, you literally type craft <whatever>, see what you can make at what difficulty levels, and if you equip a tool and the difficulty level changes, then that tool has a bonus to that craft.  Iterate and you should get a pretty good idea over time.

The bonus is not always consistent by tool type, they are set manually and certainly can diverge.

These two statements are confusing together. Will a tool for a craft, if it adds a bonus, ALWAYS change how easy the craft looks to complete? If there are tools in game that look like they are for a particular craft but don't change how difficult a craft is, should they be reported as bugged?

As I said, iterate and you should get a pretty good idea over time.  To clarify, iterate as you are still gaining skill (not maxed) and you should get an idea.  You won't always see the wording change, but if you iterate over time as you are gaining skill, eventually you should see it change at some point over the iteration.

I can't see why it can't be as simple as, if you have the skill, you can see if a tool will help with that skill. It feels like there's a grand mystery around which tools are good for what. Do people really enjoy tracking down tools that may or may not help a craft, and trying them over and over while leveling up that craft?

I can't even imagine trying to find bandagemaking tools.

The tall, muscular man asks, in sirihish, "Excuse me, but do you know of any scissors that I can use to cut cloth into bandages? These scissors that work fine for cutting cloth to make a shirt just aren't working for me."