Taverns, Inns, Bars and Restaurants and Food

Started by Cerelum, May 15, 2019, 09:23:11 AM

I got to thinking, I normally play hunter type characters, who end up with either a plethora of meat or leaving meat and taking the more usable bits, hide and bones etc for simple weight and storage means.

But with the way meat spoils and rots away to nothing after so long, even in those airtight food bins, it got me to thinking.  Why doesn't the Gaj buy scrab meat?  Or Chalton flank?

I think this would be a realistic way to supply the game world, while making a bit of sid in the process.  If enough angry Bynners go into the Gaj and there is no steak to buy, then the hunters will be more apt to go out and get more to sell.

Possibly have it work two ways.

If you sell raw meat, the bar buys it for less and creates one of the cooked items as a result.  So essentially the VNPC or npc bartender cooks it up.

If you sell cooked meat, it goes right on the menu, or maybe has some flair type accessories added to it, seasoned for example.  Say a cooked chasten steak is now seasoned with blah herb and sold at the bar under list.

We have more than enough people who can hunt and go skin some critters and get meat to make it worth more to people other than the grocer shop that's always full up with the common meats.

Another way it could be done is to filter from the Grocer shop to the bars around town.  So say every day the Gaj would subtract five food items from the grocer's inventory.  And if the grocer is out of their items on their list, they no longer offer it in the bar as sellable food.

This could put all sorts of interesting issues with famine and hunger into the mix.  The city bound social players will have more reason to interact with the hunters and gathers, nobles will be pissed because their roasted scrab head isn't available.

Now I understand this type of change would be sorta a bitch to do, but I feel it would go a good way towards making player action into game world reality.  Not enough hunters, bread and water is available.  Tons of hunters bringing in meat, you have a fucking feast available.

Different level bars could have different level foods and so much more.

I dunno, what do you think?

I see people buying food at the Gaj so rarely I don't think anyone would notice if there was any missing. But it seems like just another way to add a second grocer to the game. It's neat. But ultimately that's all it will be treated as.

If you have so much food on you, that you're willing to basically toss it to Vennant the 26th for a pittance, I would like to have a word with you about the redistribution of available foods.

See me in game.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Given the recent changes to merchant NPCs, it seems like the general thrust is to reduce the 'sid flow from NPC merchants, so I'm not sure adding more merchant NPCs to generate 'sid from is going to fly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 15, 2019, 05:48:30 PM
Given the recent changes to merchant NPCs, it seems like the general thrust is to reduce the 'sid flow from NPC merchants, so I'm not sure adding more merchant NPCs to generate 'sid from is going to fly.
The main idea behind it was more to have the city reflect supply and demand versus making it another get rich quick thing.

It would make hunters bringing in meat more of a desirable thing than simply to learn to cook to branch other skills and to sell to the grocer shop.

I think that part of the supply chain is provided by vnpcs, as the idea is that PCs will hopefully stock a small portion of the vnpc world (through some of the vendors currently existing) but mostly with PCs - to create interaction. That is my take on it, and certainly I'd love a more expansive supply chain - but the fact that PC-on-PC shouldn't be sacrificed is a fact.