Skinning - Skill Enhancement/Suggestion

Started by Cerelum, May 06, 2019, 11:47:37 AM

As it sits right now, I could pack my mount with half a dozen bodies of critters, roll into the fanciest room of the poshest noble estate and butcher them all, and provided nobody sees me, or I don't leave any bits behind, nobody would know.

While I understand that we are supposed to be aware of the VNPC population.  I do think that it would be an interesting dynamic to have something left after skinning that doesn't vanish into thin air after SKIN BODY happens.

What if, when you skinned something it left behind a carcass, a picked over bit of leftovers, that maybe could be identified as what it was.

So you would see a carcass of a chalton, picked clean lays in the sand here.  It would eventually sink into the sand like everything else, but maybe upt the timer at a day or two.

This way folks would know someone had been along and killed stuff, also it could have a bonus of attracting predators to it.  Maybe use it as a way to introduce scarier shit into what would be considered safer territory?

I just think it would be a good addition, that wouldn't take all that much resources or time, and hell I'd volunteer to write a few of the items myself if you needed.

I also think it would promote roleplay because folks would be furious when they see all sorts of random animal carcasses laying about the streets and such.  What do you guys think?

Note: Thought I submitted it, but it was suddenly gone.  So submitted it again, figured the boards got Thanos Snapped.

So what would your chalton carcass include?

Quote from: John on May 06, 2019, 12:00:08 PM
So what would your chalton carcass include?

It wouldn't, it would just be a visual, real item thing that took time to vanish.  This way if I walk through the desert, killing a half a dozen chalton, it could be seen by a visually representation of all the carcasses.

It's more about the bodies not just vanishing into the ether as they do now.  Only way you can tell someone even skinned anything is if you see any of the skinning output left behind as it sits now.

I get that. But your going to write up a main desc of the chalton carcass. What parts of the carcass will be in the main desc? Will it include ribs? Spine? Head?

I'm not looking to be an arse here. My point is that often the bits that would be part of the carcass main desc actually generate objects that can be used to create other things.

Quote from: John on May 06, 2019, 12:25:29 PM
I get that. But your going to write up a main desc of the chalton carcass. What parts of the carcass will be in the main desc? Will it include ribs? Spine? Head?

I'm not looking to be an arse here. My point is that often the bits that would be part of the carcass main desc actually generate objects that can be used to create other things.

Oh I didn't take it negatively.

After all, if folks don't ask questions how will you ever figure shit out?

I guess if I was making the call, I'd have to look at each corpse and see what you got from a perfect skin body, then write it up accordingly.

Like say a chalton would be a spine and a hornless skull or something like that.

What about tying it to the hunt command. The length of time it shows up in the results depending on weather and region.

What if instead of the super descriptive option being laid out here, it was more generic? For every "skinning" attempt in a room, a generic object like " an observable mess of blood and viscera is here" or something better.

So if you see "many observable messes of blood and viscera are here", you know this is a place where some bloody shit went down.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

And this is the joy of the forums, I never thought so general as that.

But hey, I'd be happy with anything honestly.  Just something that shows skinning and butchering happened.

I agree, it would be nice to see that there was a skinning attempt in the room you're in.

As Delerium said, maybe even tie it into a skill. If you're really good at skinning, the object is less/around for less time. If you succeed but not "in full", a 'regular' object, and if you fail to skin anything of value, a long-standing blood patch sits around for a RL hour.

Numbers to be changed, of course, but I like the idea of knowing someone WAS around.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The implications of the change I'm thinking of, and you're improving upon would be farther reaching than simply window dressing as well.

Think about it, allow me to paint a picture ala Bob Ross, but with much less skill and textual.
If we had some type of ability to see butchering and skinning in rooms

You're an outdoor person, heading to somewhere that has a valuable something, animal, material etc.

You go out and notice all sorts of fighting, skinning activity, and it looks skilled, not a lot of wasted blood, so you think to yourself, maybe I should be more careful instead of just riding all the way over there in the most direct route and take a bit  of a detour.

As you round about you see various folks, looking like they are setting up an ambush, but you've been alerted due to the fact you caught all the remains of their battles to this point.

You now can choose to fuck them up, or avoid them.

How life currently works.

You literally could ride past three mekillots worth of dead bodies, that the group skinned, or three (enter something else huge and obvious) carcasses and know none the wiser.

Then bam, you walk right into their trap which normally you would have been at least wary or oblivious too, because if we look at in modern day, I won't blink walking past a few cows in the distance, but I'm gonna be pretty skeptical if I walk past a field of slain, cut up cows, ya feel me?

And that's just one scenario where this would make sense.

You could add in the more ecologically minded clans and folks, and they now have proof you've ravaged your way across the land, killed twenty critters in a single day, because they can see the carnage left behind.  Now they don't need to grief you for the one you killed they happened to see you fighting but the actual carnage they suspect you of.

I hope you're getting why I think this is important in a Role Playing focused game.

This exists for some races, currently.  It's part of on-going work.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"