Author Topic: Using the Way to communicate with otherwise unknown dialects  (Read 238 times)

Nile

I know this has happened forever, staff approved or not, but is there a proper way to RP being able to communicate via the Way in a common language even when the two individuals do not share the same language skill? Or just go for it or not at all? Images? Feelings?

Thanks in advance.
Free your hate.

Jihelu

Re: Using the Way to communicate with otherwise unknown dialects
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:41:07 AM »
..No one uses a language via the Way, my guy. It's psionics.

Those Desert Elves you can easily communicate with across the known...don't speak Sirihish.

You don't have an accent via the way.

You just think, and they hear it.

Nile

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:51:09 AM »
Thanks for clearing up how psionics actually work. I'll leave the thread in case anyone else didn't know.
Free your hate.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 06:05:27 AM »
People roleplay using their accents over the way though.. it's damn near ubiquitous. Most powerful Highborn to lowliest 0 karma shit grebber.

I tend to think about it like, this is how I sound in my head when I think to myself.

When I think "That dog is red" I hear my own words in my own voice, at the same time in the background noise of my brain there's some red dogs. The word just labels the symbols/concepts.

So I figure when I way someone "I'm being raided in the desert help!" I figure they get to hear what I sound like in my head, and are also treated with the background symbols/concepts that exist in my head, and are attached to the thought. Shared thinking. You are /in/ my head after all I can even kick you out of it.

I figure Psions are just taking sharing a step further.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:14:39 AM by only_plays_tribals »
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Lizzie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
Psionic communication is its own language, as I see it. It transcends verbal communication. The accent you use for speaking, could certainly translate through into psionic communication because the thoughts are coming from you. Though perhaps you might be more "organized" in your thoughts than you are in your speech, so the communication might be more eloquent than in speaking. Or vice versa.

I recall a character who spoke in just normal common language, no ain'ts or 'ye' or 'forsooths' or 'fekkins.' But when he wayed me, it was a strange mix of disjointed non-sentences. Something like:

"...the guy. You know Red with the freckles. Goes BOOM! Over the shield wall. SPLAT! Gith everywhere. Blood. We escaped. Barely."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Jihelu

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
That isn't to say everytime you way there /should/ be nothing but coherant words. Being stressed, underskilled in the way, etc, might mean your ways suck complete ass.

There's even a mention in the way helpfile now, I think, about conveying slight emotions (as long as you aren't powergaming emotions)

Commonly people just do *mirth* or /Feelings of mirth/ or something but you might convey stress, fear, lonliness, etc.

Just don't do anything like "You feel sad and lonely at hearing this".

If you want to do that, be a mindworm.

Nile

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
Great. Always was a fan of giving some sort of context through Ways. Psionics should be far more able to convey a vague emotional state of the character; even phones have emojis.
Free your hate.