How about apartment large furniture that can be nailed/stuck.

Started by oggotale, May 02, 2019, 02:41:56 PM

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on May 03, 2019, 07:54:01 PM
Once I played a burglar when Tuluk was still in play, and I remember while burgling a place, I was spotted by a Noble. I (probably quite cheesily) explained that I was leaving the apartment and asked if he would like to buy some furniture. He happily obliged me and gave me triple what I asked to take the bed and everything else. Some time later, when applying to (redacted) another noble (templar?) asked if I knew where he could get a bed. I think I fell out of my chair laughing. It was great!

Anyway, it's true that burgling couches is sorta crazy, but I guess if in RL someone can pull up in my driveway and carry out a sixty inch television with no one asking questions....

I do think though, that something more could be done with apartments. Maybe be able to pay more for better locks? That need a master to pick? Or perhaps NPC  guards that can be hired for a fee?

Hire a Krathi gemmed player and give him access to your apartment, get special permission to allow him to practice in said apartment, fireball to the burglar's face, problem solved.

But joking aside, I don't think there ever will be a solution other than criminals playing criminals more responsibly.

• Stealth outside miscreant/stalker is a lot worse than people think.
  • Even master stealth isn't as infallible as some people think either, it never was to be honest.
  • Miscreant/stalker's main survival tool is stealth as their combat skills are quite poor.
  • In short it really is pretty balanced at the moment

If someone steals your sofa or furniture you deem heavy, why not send a report to staff.

However, there is nothing wrong with someone stealing your sofa or even deciding to clean out your room at 2 am, but perhaps staff willl look into it and decide that this is something that might have been noticed by vnpcs and give you a description. After that it'll be up to you to do something about it, or pay someone to care.

There are counters to stealth, more so now than before, no drovians needed. After all many time just knowing a thief's description is a death sentence to them.

I think the OP is trying to point out that it is rather absurd for supposedly a master of stealth to go stealing furniture, and they're right, it is.

What would be the problem with being able to pay NPC guards to watch over your place while you are logged out? They could charge by the hour, and I believe it would add something to the game even for burglars. Guards are not infallible, and a master of stealth still has a chance to sneak by without being noticed. At the very least, furniture should weigh enough that stealth is broken, if it doesn't do that already.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Most of the time its your neighbors.

Secondly it is not absurd to steal any of your virtual shit, but it should indeed be noticed if its something like furniture. Send a report, and have staff take a look to see if it is something that should have been noticed and have them give you a description.

Increasing the weight of furniture is fine as anything beyond light has a big effect on stealth, but remember you need to be able to carry it in yourself.

I am okay with people being able to a lot pay more to add npc guards to their doors to protect heavier stuff like furniture from getting stolen but it won't save your other goodies from spice assisted return trips.  :-*

I don't think there's anything that can be done, honestly. In a similar thread some players bragged about griefing other players by stealing things from their apartments and rationalized it by say "well they could've just payed me?". Even though I may view this as irresponsible play and simply shitty RP, and I could likely murder this dude into oblivion, I cannot play round the clock nor will I ask others to sit in my apartment with triggers (or laughably just hang around 18 hours a day as if the player could do that).

I am, however, open to the idea of hiring NPCs.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I'm not for NPC guards outside apartments, I'm not for anything that intrusive to be honest (unless they were super expensive, but it seems like too much code work), I think theives aren't too badly balanced given their skillset overall.

I just think that
1) Thieves themselves don't have much to gain from heavy furniture in particular, so it's not affecting them much if they can't steal that.
2) Heavy furiniture seems to be able to add a good deal of enjoyment for players OOC
3) Stealing heavy furniture is generally instrincially stupid already, seems nice to have a more explicit way to stop that from happening.