How about apartment large furniture that can be nailed/stuck.

Started by oggotale, May 02, 2019, 02:41:56 PM

It seems a bit sad that people are apprehensive about investing in their rooms, given that it's a great way to spend the heaps of sid oldies have piling up, and that it's also a great way of creating your own "personal" environment in the game-world. In most RP games, having your own room is a nice bit of immersion/joy/IG connection for players, there's a lot of OOC value to the player here, just in a functional room that you know YOU'VE created, somehow (barring its use for hoarding gold/valuables).

It's also a bit unusual that things like tables and sofas are stolen by burglars, I mean it'd be normal if it was a riot situation but it's a bit odd that some fishy character the landlord has never seen is moving heaps of furniture out an apartment from under his nose.
How about adding a sticking/nailing command that helps "stick stuff down" in its place, with the only way to remove it being to junk it.

The suggestion operates on the idea that burglars stealing large/bulky furniture is intrinsically stupid.

But even not granting the above I was a bit put off by how seemingly trivial and value-less bits of large furniture are also not spared (with folks not really being bothered by the thought of pulling a cheap sofa to pawn off). To add a bit more of a hindrance to burglars stealing value-less shite, and to add a bit more motivation for apartment holders to enjoy structuring their rooms, how about adding a long timer to the "unfixing" of fixed PC furniture?

This suggestion only affects burglars who like stealing beds/sofas/large tables, accessibility of other loot would be completely unaffected

Yeah I mean...

Moving furniture around should alert people in floors above and below you. They can decide to contact the authorities or not...

But considering how infallible stealth can be at high levels, it seems silly to have soldiers patrolling courtyards when they can't even see the people traipsing by with heaps of goodies (and furniture) and not call the cops (AoD/Templars).

I don't rent apartments anymore because they're basically pointless once someone has unlocked the 'Lockpick (Advanced)' achievement, and yada yada, dead horse, so on and so on. There should be downsides to using lock pick beyond them being difficult to obtain -- A chance of getting wanted, for instance.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Park at the end of the hall and watch north.

Wait until you see someone wield a lockpick and try to pick a lock. This breaks hide.

Sap burglar.

Collect apartment protection bounty.

Repeat as needed.

ALL the tools necessary to solve this rampant burglary problem so may of you mention are available to players in game. If it was made more fun and lucrative than carrying out your sofa, that is.

Your neighbor could also steal your sofa, and furnish his own apartment with that. Or, drag it out in plain sight, and pretend it was his own all along when he carries it past the guard.

Quote from: Miradus on May 02, 2019, 04:15:44 PM

Wait until you see someone wield a lockpick and try to pick a lock. This breaks hide.

Sap burglar.

Repeat as needed.

ALL the tools necessary to solve this rampant burglary problem so may of you mention are available to players in game. If it was made more fun and lucrative than carrying out your sofa, that is.

Normally, yes. However, I have an hour a day to play the game, and have been able to be in a very lucrative position despite this constriction.
Even with all my coin, I cannot pay for someone to "sit and watch n" for the other 23hours I cannot be online, to have a 1/10 chance to see the hooded figure pick the lock to my room, then run into my room and try to attack them, without knowing the situation, before they hide. It is simply unfeasible and the suggestion that "all the tools necessary are available to players" is, frankly, both disrespectful and shortsighted.

I may as well just not keep anything of worth in my apartment. Even if you "pay off" the right people, you can't account for some 2am burglar with ties to nobody, or the Fale Aide whose noble has 1000 picks in their room "just in case!". There simply should be something between "burglars/assassins have full access to every rentable apartment in the city" and "Impenetrable fortress of doom hahah suck it sneaks"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Sap burglar.

Repeat as needed.

You can sleight-of-hand everything except the pick command now, if I recall correctly.  Good luck reacting, moving in, and getting a sap off before the re-hide.

> palm pick belt

> ready pick

> pick door e

> hide

> unlatch door e

Beyond that...what class combination is going to have hide good enough to beat a miscreant's master scan and a good enough sap skill to pull this off reliably?  If you're standing there like an idiot just waiting...I'm just going to unlatch your pack, steal all the coins out, and call it a successful run.  Fuck the apartments.

So I mean...I guess technically you thwarted the burglary...by becoming a victim of pickpocketing?  That's a real bro move, bro.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

An alternative solution would be to simply make sneaking with large enough items cause the loss of the ability to sneak.

So far as I understand it, items have a weight and a size stat, this could be used to make it so that sneaky boi can't sneak his way past the guards with 4 wardrobes and a table.

Quote from: Hauwke on May 02, 2019, 05:21:31 PM
An alternative solution would be to simply make sneaking with large enough items cause the loss of the ability to sneak.

So far as I understand it, items have a weight and a size stat, this could be used to make it so that sneaky boi can't sneak his way past the guards with 4 wardrobes and a table.

I think the problem comes from guards not giving a fuck, and there not being enough of them

I've played non burglar characters with sneak and hide at journeyman that almost never got seen by anyone.

I think the soldiers need to have perception increases so that a guy who's been alive for 100 years on commoners sees all the elves because his eyes are so damn good.  High master scan for soldiers!

Quote from: Cerelum on May 02, 2019, 05:48:16 PM
I've played non burglar characters with sneak and hide at journeyman that almost never got seen by anyone.

I think the soldiers need to have perception increases so that a guy who's been alive for 100 years on commoners sees all the elves because his eyes are so damn good.  High master scan for soldiers!

I disagree. Soldier NPCs already have high scan as is.

Quote from: Cabooze on May 02, 2019, 06:00:15 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on May 02, 2019, 05:48:16 PM

I disagree. Soldier NPCs already have high scan as is.

I would assume that too but unless you're a secret staff alt who can see their skills, you don't know that.

Just how certain immensely scary critters would be assumed to have huge hp levels but actually don't.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 02, 2019, 05:03:16 PM

Sap burglar.

Repeat as needed.

You can sleight-of-hand everything except the pick command now, if I recall correctly.  Good luck reacting, moving in, and getting a sap off before the re-hide.

> palm pick belt

> ready pick

> pick door e

> hide

> unlatch door e

Beyond that...what class combination is going to have hide good enough to beat a miscreant's master scan and a good enough sap skill to pull this off reliably?  If you're standing there like an idiot just waiting...I'm just going to unlatch your pack, steal all the coins out, and call it a successful run.  Fuck the apartments.

So I mean...I guess technically you thwarted the burglary...by becoming a victim of pickpocketing?  That's a real bro move, bro.

You can't ready anything from your inventory. Only sheathed items, and you can't sheathe a lockpick. You need to break hide to wield a lockpick, but not a knife. It doesn't make sense, but I guess it's kept that way for balance?

Quote from: rinthrat on May 02, 2019, 07:10:42 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on May 02, 2019, 05:03:16 PM

Sap burglar.

Repeat as needed.

> palm pick belt

> ready pick

> pick door e

> hide

> unlatch door e

You can't ready anything from your inventory. Only sheathed items, and you can't sheathe a lockpick. You need to break hide to wield a lockpick, but not a knife. It doesn't make sense, but I guess it's kept that way for balance?

Hmm...been awhile since my miscreant died.  Still, equipping the pick is essentially lag-free, and using it would break hide anyway, so it's more or less the same thing.

But, to get back to the point:  stealing people's furniture is dumb.  Stop doing it, jeeeeze.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Make the furniture shop in Allanak sell-only.

(Unfortunately this disrupts legitimate furniture-makers, if that's a thing.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

This game is the way it is because instead of doing things themselves, people want staff to do it for them. And won't lift a damn finger.

I've killed 3 burglars before, barely even looking for burglars. How did I find them? They were standing on balconies with cisterns, or trying to climb up the rooftops with a bed. Why did I kill them? In one case I was actually enforcing apartment protection, but the other two times I wanted their lockpicks.

Yeah, the top end miscreant with the top end scan you might not see, but those guys aren't usually the ones robbing the place blind either. All it takes is ONE screw up for them and you've got them. They're either seen and their description gets around, or they're dead.

And I understand you may not have hours to park in a hallway watching for thieves, but SOMEONE might. Have you even looked around in game and asked about it? Or do we just want to cry some more on the GDB until staff handicaps criminals even further so we can all go to our fashion shows and tourneys and noble house parties without worrying about our bling going missing?

There's LOTS of potential suggestions other than asking staff to do something. But most of the time, apartment thieves don't take your furniture. That's usually a very junior thief who is going to fall off the balcony tomorrow and then all the apartments are safe for a few RL weeks. It's the sloppy ones who leave the door open and then your neighbors rob you blind. The GOOD apartment thief, like me, takes one diamond out of the pack of eight that you put in a belt pouch and hid in a large bag inside of a bone-studded backpack which you then left on your rug. We treat your apartment like a Nenyuk account rather than loot it blind all in one go.

I think the main thing that sucks about criminals is that once they get to a certain level of hide/sneak they are damn near invisible.

I've had a miscreant with master scan, and still couldn't see some people.

I think scan should see every hider at master level honestly, otherwise how are you a master?

But that's another discussion pretty much all together.

I almost would be more for people having to have Karma for criminal characters rather than magickal characters in some regards.

Drovians could have been the perfect foil for thieves. Anyone hiding would have "taken a step toward the shadows". They could have had some trap-like spell that would swallow hiders up and force them to wander through some maze of shadow, potentially being attacked and killed, before being spat out who know where. Or something along that line.

Anyhow. Maybe the solution is to make furniture really heavy. It's hard to sneak about when weighed down, and the doorkeepers could shout for the guards when someone who isn't renting tries to leave while balancing a couch or wardrobe.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on May 02, 2019, 07:51:49 PM
Make the furniture shop in Allanak sell-only.

(Unfortunately this disrupts legitimate furniture-makers, if that's a thing.)

I've never found a shop to buy furniture outside of a shop that shouldn't buy chests, buying chests.

Quote from: Cerelum on May 02, 2019, 11:11:53 PM
I think the main thing that sucks about criminals is that once they get to a certain level of hide/sneak they are damn near invisible.

Vehemently disagree.

If a criminal survives long enough to be damn near invisible, the vast majority of times they slowly learn to steal the quiver of arrows, not the entire goddamned bed.

The main thing that sucks about criminals is that Junior Miss Criminal can get into just about every apartment in the city and there is no way to enforce it. Why would I spend my coin on replacing furniture every week, until Junior Miss falls off a balcony? Why can't I pay a higher cost to prevent this from happening, rather than shitty insurance that when it DOES happen, someone might give a shit?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Miscreants being invisible is a different issue, I did not intend to.open that pandora's box.

This thread is particularly about burglars stealing huge furniture, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY'RE VISIBLE WHILE DOING THIS.
They could be visible and the NPCs/VPNCs landlords etc, by virtue of being NPCs, aren't going to call in on the random stranger dragging rows of couches and tables out the apartment. But for some reason such a thing is not expected to be internalised by thieves as it is.

An alternative to my suggestion would be for the staff to clarify that "hey, stealing large bits of furniture is a pretty retarded thing to do in most cases".

I certainly hope none of the staff would be callous enough to insult people with intellectual disabilities in that way.

I was just going to respond that staff hardly ever respond to posts of this nature.

Proven wrong and happily so.

I personally think that they probably discuss all sorts of shit we post, just in their super sekret staff only forums.

Once I played a burglar when Tuluk was still in play, and I remember while burgling a place, I was spotted by a Noble. I (probably quite cheesily) explained that I was leaving the apartment and asked if he would like to buy some furniture. He happily obliged me and gave me triple what I asked to take the bed and everything else. Some time later, when applying to (redacted) another noble (templar?) asked if I knew where he could get a bed. I think I fell out of my chair laughing. It was great!

Anyway, it's true that burgling couches is sorta crazy, but I guess if in RL someone can pull up in my driveway and carry out a sixty inch television with no one asking questions....

I do think though, that something more could be done with apartments. Maybe be able to pay more for better locks? That need a master to pick? Or perhaps NPC  guards that can be hired for a fee?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock