Author Topic: Cooking Questions.  (Read 400 times)

Cerelum

Cooking Questions.
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
In all the time I've played, cooking has mostly been a handwaved affair.

But now some crafts require a fire, and others don't.

Are they purposefully left so that you can cook some stuff on the go without a fire, as fires are such a pain in the ass to make?

Or are they just not all updated to require fire, and should you submit a request with crafts that still need it added for coders to work on?
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

mansa

Re: Cooking Questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:50:04 PM »
Are you asking, Why do some cooking recipes require a campfire and some do not?

I'd suggest to post in "Ask the Staff" about decisions regarding ingredients to crafts.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

John

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:27:20 AM »
From memory the project was started and then halted halfway through so as to ensure the game was still playable.

Cabooze

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »
The way I feel a lot of people handle the some recipes requiring fires and others not: Is that some things are more able to be cooked under the heat of Suk-krath on cooking stones as opposed to needing the heat of a fire? Idk.

John

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »
The way I feel a lot of people handle the some recipes requiring fires and others not: Is that some things are more able to be cooked under the heat of Suk-krath on cooking stones as opposed to needing the heat of a fire? Idk.
I've adopted only using fires (unless they're wichite grubs or grasshoppers) but yes. It's currently valid to get creative as well.

Cerelum

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
I was asking more for fellow player perspective on it.

I always figured if staff had a problem with me cooking without fire in the desert, they would send me a staff send or email.

However, I am more than willing to submit recipes if they just needed help sorting through the hundreds of cooking recipes, which is why I asked if it was some half finished mess or just by design.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Riev

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
I was asking more for fellow player perspective on it.

I always figured if staff had a problem with me cooking without fire in the desert, they would send me a staff send or email.

However, I am more than willing to submit recipes if they just needed help sorting through the hundreds of cooking recipes, which is why I asked if it was some half finished mess or just by design.

I like that requiring a fire in room is a POSSIBILITY for certain recipes... but the requirement for everything requiring a fire can get untenable rather quickly. Campfires in the desert aren't really a 'normal' thing, and you usually have to prepare for it, and if you're prepared, you have salted meats and rations anyways, so no need to cook.

If "travel campfires" were more of a thing, I'd be down with any COOKING to be done with a fire... but then you're opening the door to "need to forage salt for dried jerky" and "must be holding a knife to cut up melons".

As far as I understood it, the project was sort of a proof-of-concept that you could require an in-room item that isn't a "tool" to be degraded, nor a "component" to be part of the 5 items. Some crafts got it, but staff were not willing to go through every craftable "food" item and determine if fire was needed, or not.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »
A campfire is just a tool.  Just like other recipes that use tools, older recipes tend to require them far less than newer recipes do.

Miradus

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
Plenty of cooking recipes also magically create a jar, or cinnamon spice, or some other ingredient which isn't present. I don't know why we fixate on "fire" being the oddball here.

Veselka

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
I think it's more the code functionality came only a few years ago, and it's likely easier to write new crafting recipes with that additional function in mind, rather than going back and editing a gazillion crafts to include it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant