Armageddon Mud Survival Edition!

Started by Midori, April 30, 2019, 07:39:16 PM

Hey all. Lately I've been dreaming of how fun it could be to log on to Armageddon one day and find that the familiar world had been temporarily (maybe for a week?) replaced with a new wilderness. All the characters would begin in the same place and with very minimal starting equipment. It'd be fun to see a whole player economy spring up in the absence of NPC merchants and the elements of a settlement appear. After the week was over, the world and characters could be restored to how they were before.

Does this appeal to anyone?

Quote from: Jihelu on April 30, 2019, 08:09:20 PM
I play merchants I'd fucking die.

Dw the warriors will need you. They'll be running short on slaves.

Another game tried to reboot, using wilderness survival as the main feature.

AFAIK, it died out, but I did have some fun with it, while it lasted.

Tbh, I'd think it'd be relatively simple, to setup an alt-server with random generated worlds using Arms mechanics, geared towards such a thing, and would be hugely interesting to see how it plays out, if the world and every achievement would be deleted every week. I think you would have either intense grief-style play, like a MUD version of a fps king of the hill, or intense RP, where people play to the hilt from start to finish, explicitly because, there is only a handful of tomorrows to enjoy and limited time to live (and die) as that persona, before it's all swept aside and replaced with a clean slate. One pc per person, per week. No exceptions.

I'd indulge.
"Mortals do drown so."

We already can't get more than 50 or so players at a time in the main game and you wanna try something else to drag folks away?

May 01, 2019, 12:21:00 AM #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:28:06 AM by mansa
HEY AKARIEL
HEY LISTEN

......could be a cool gladiator event.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Vex, I like you, I think you have a lot of good things to say as well as a lot of insight, that said, you can come off, at times, as highly negative, and you're not alone in that regard, I can, as well at times. Since we know these things about ourselves, we have the difficult challenge of trying to not sound so, downright pissy at times. It's alright if we play pissy characters, but when communicating OOCly, we should strive to be constructive and considerate of others.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Grapes on May 01, 2019, 02:57:58 AM
Vex, I like you, I think you have a lot of good things to say as well as a lot of insight, that said, you can come off, at times, as highly negative, and you're not alone in that regard, I can, as well at times. Since we know these things about ourselves, we have the difficult challenge of trying to not sound so, downright pissy at times. It's alright if we play pissy characters, but when communicating OOCly, we should strive to be constructive and considerate of others.

I don't think Vex's reply came off as particularly negative.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Quote from: Cerelum on May 01, 2019, 12:06:22 AM
We already can't get more than 50 or so players at a time in the main game and you wanna try something else to drag folks away?

I meant this as a one-time thing. The current game world would be suspended for a week (or whatever interval is decided), then brought back after the wilderness adventure is over.

For the record, I don't think the idea is stupid or anything.

My only concern is that we have ig positions that are not really represented well right now due to both play times and not being able to have five Salarri or Kuraci players.

Now you are proposing a drain of valuable player base to do something new. That's my only pushback.

As to the suspension thing, I wouldn't be for it because I'm here to play Armageddon and wouldn't like being forced to play the alternate reality version.

However, maybe talk to staff about doing this on April 1st instead of pikachu.

The recent changes to NPC vendors, while not this, is a step in a rougher, more difficult to survive direction.  I really dig it.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

The only downside to the OP is that we're in an age now where there's enough avenues OOCly to form groups that within 1 hour of this 'new' world coming alive, there would already be a faction of the top PvP players who know how to git gud and they would end up controlling things.

Without Virtual Power to curb PC power, it becomes a scripted PvP nightmare.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I thought it sounded like fun for a change once in a while.

It just sounds like suspending Armageddon for a week to get everyone to try another MUD to me.

May 06, 2019, 03:47:56 AM #14 Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:49:35 AM by Cabooze
If you wanna play a current rendition of Armageddon Mud Survival Edition, roll up your next character as follows:
- City Elf Tribal
- Never once go into any civilization.
- Your gear acquisition and sustenance must come from what you find outside, with the only other resource at your disposal being tribal camps.
- You're not allowed to eat meat, only uncooked tubers and roots.
- You are not allowed a packmount.
- You are not allowed to remain in one region of the game-world for more than 3 IRL days at a time.

Quote from: Cabooze on May 06, 2019, 03:47:56 AM
If you wanna play a current rendition of Armageddon Mud Survival Edition, roll up your next character as follows:
- City Elf Tribal
- Never once go into any civilization.
- Your gear acquisition and sustenance must come from what you find outside, with the only other resource at your disposal being tribal camps.
- You're not allowed to eat meat, only uncooked tubers and roots.
- You are not allowed a packmount.
- You are not allowed to remain in one region of the game-world for more than 3 IRL days at a time.

Aren't city elfs lambasted for not being city based?

Quote from: oggotale on May 06, 2019, 04:24:11 AM
Aren't city elfs lambasted for not being city based?

All part of the challenge

A long-ass time ago on a game I'll not name, they did a little event for holloween.
All characters were instant-apped or had respawns turned on, and everyone started at 0.
All guards and laws were shut down.
Enemies would randomly appear in places they usually never would.
It was absolute fucking chaos, and after 24 hours, they reverted back like absolutely nothing ever happened.
It was so memorable and fun that I wish a game would do that again at some point, just let people go apeshit wild. Think 'The Purge' but there's no lasting consequences.

Quote from: AdamBlue on May 06, 2019, 10:13:35 AM
A long-ass time ago on a game I'll not name, they did a little event for holloween.
All characters were instant-apped or had respawns turned on, and everyone started at 0.
It was absolute fucking chaos, and after 24 hours, they reverted back like absolutely nothing ever happened.
It was so memorable and fun that I wish a game would do that again at some point, just let people go apeshit wild. Think 'The Purge' but there's no lasting consequences.

That actually sounds fucking awesome.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on May 06, 2019, 10:18:52 AM
Quote from: AdamBlue on May 06, 2019, 10:13:35 AM

That actually sounds fucking awesome.

It fucking was. I remember logging on not knowing what the fuck was going on. People were rushing to try and do the things that would get them the quickest and best stuff as fast as their meta knowledge would take them, only for the staff team to literally drop fucking endgame monsters on them to make them think twice, or blocking off certain areas. The main cities were lambasted with monsters or undead. People would hide in their homes and stare at eachother, hoping the other person was able to be trusted. Hundreds of people died, and the streets were clogged with corpses and those who would pilfer the bodies of the dead, searching for something, anything that could give them an edge. The strong were slain just as easily as the weak, and often times the scavengers would be the ones running away with the loot, rather than the warriors. Then it all got thanos snapped, fixed, vamoosed, and we all had a good chuckle and hoped it would come back next year.

And it did, thus to be called "The Labyrinth"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

An event where a clan was sent to an untamed zone on the other side of the Sea or a portal or something and had to find new sources of food/water/building materials/ etc. would be pretty cool, but it would have the side effect of making everyone involved isolated from everyone else, which might not be good in the current low-pop era.