Climbing and ranged attacks

Started by Dresan, April 28, 2019, 10:19:41 AM

A long while ago the code got changed so you could not shoot/throw without falling. I don't believe you should be able to fight someone on the side of a building either but maybe someone else can correct me.

However I am suggesting this be modified.

You should be allowed to shoot one-handed crossbows and blowguns with only a strong check against your climbing skill. If you have enough climbing skill(master) and/or modifiers(agility/gear) you should be alright.  I agree that two handed versions or throwing would result in auto fall,  but since using one handed crossbow is not efficient for ambush killing/assassination and blowguns can do the same job anywhere already it should be balanced. 

This will allow people to shoot others sitting at sides building which currently seems pretty safe area. There are already better options if someone wants to assassinate/harass someone other than doing it from the side of the building.

April 28, 2019, 10:25:24 AM #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:38:54 AM by th3kaiser
Have you tried this recently? It's not a hard rule. There's some wiggle there I guess.

My impression was it was instant fall regardless, not a check but I'll try and see.

April 29, 2019, 03:17:25 AM #3 Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:21:34 AM by Cabooze
Quote from: Dresan on April 28, 2019, 02:04:52 PM
My impression was it was instant fall regardless, not a check but I'll try and see.

You should be pleasantly surprised.

Doing something that engages combat in any way with a target in your room, while climbing, forces you to fall.
Among other fun ways to fall:
Getting knocked down by a thrown weapon.
Running out of MV and having no choice but to sit down in the air.
Having an aggressive bird fly into your room, and attack you.. While you're trying to climb.

Huge side-topic:
Add aggressive birds to the insides of Allanak.

I think the code should work like this.
Have you tried the code you're talking about changing?
No.
You should try it and see if it works the way you're hoping.
Thanks, I'll try the code first before posting a request to change how the game works.

Hello I am AutoModerator and I am a bot.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 29, 2019, 01:03:23 PM
I think the code should work like this.
Have you tried the code you're talking about changing?
No.
You should try it and see if it works the way you're hoping.
Thanks, I'll try the code first before posting a request to change how the game works.

Hello I am AutoModerator and I am a bot.

To be honest i remember this was announced to be auto-fall and I dont see where it was changed, granted the number of improvements over the last year is staggering.  As for trying to test code that could potenially kill my character. How about you use yours first?

I instead am happy with the responses here and have no trouble standing corrected, thanks.

Additionally perhaps a few points brought up in this thread could be added to the helpfile.

Non-issue for certain ranged attacks at least.....think about it what's realistically achievable for a skilled climber. can you take both hands off and fire a bow? no, i'm guessing this results in a fall. can you use one hand to throw a knife, probably but with reduced accuracy perhaps

Free your hate.

Getting attacked in climb rooms is a fall, climb is dangerous enough as is.
3/21/16 Never Forget