Taming Mounts - Suggestions

Started by Cerelum, April 27, 2019, 09:21:35 PM

If hitch is 'what smart players use to not get owned' change it up to use a different command for taming animals/make it so that hitch can tame animals and add in a 'you get owned' failure if they are just a wild animal.

If the player is 'smart' they won't be spamming hitch on every animal in the wild just incase they happen to be tame. (With my suggested "If you use hitch on a wild animal it beats your ass" remedy)

Actually I was referring to tamed mounts in clan corrals, primarily.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 04:36:02 PM
I dislike using RL examples, but you can absolutely halter break a horse and never get on it.

Good, then we're all in agreement. Looks like we need to change the code so delves can halter break things without mounting them, given they never intend to mount them in any capacity.

My intention is that desert elves would not even be able to try to tame things.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some IRL elf racism going on here with the constant desire to further delegitimize the race as a viable play option.

Did an elf hurt you?

I don't see the issue then? I assume the code can make the difference between tamed and not, and having hitch count as the 'hitch' and 'tame' command wouldn't break anything.

Or maybe it will IDK.

I don't see the reason for two races, one especially, to be incredibly locked out of being self-sustaining with its mount creation.

I dislike using RL examples, but you can absolutely halter break a horse and never get on it.  While it helps, it doesn't really mean it is broken if you try to ride it.  You actually have to ride it to see how it will react.

My intention is that desert elves would not even be able to try to tame things, but it looks like what I asked for didn't exactly go in like I thought it would.

Oh jeez. Welp, I hate that. I hope if this ever gets implemented then those poor elvish stalkers get reimbursed for the two useless skills and one mostly useless one being bumped up to a full three useless skills (riding, trample, charge). I assume the class was built around having these skills to properly balance it amongst it's peer classes, right? Perhaps there should be Delf specic classes to remedy this gap?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 29, 2019, 05:24:32 PM
I dislike using RL examples, but you can absolutely halter break a horse and never get on it.  While it helps, it doesn't really mean it is broken if you try to ride it.  You actually have to ride it to see how it will react.

My intention is that desert elves would not even be able to try to tame things, but it looks like what I asked for didn't exactly go in like I thought it would.

Oh jeez. Welp, I hate that. I hope if this ever gets implemented then those poor elvish stalkers get reimbursed for the two useless skills and one mostly useless one being bumped up to a full three useless skills (riding, trample, charge). I assume the class was built around having these skills to properly balance it amongst it's peer classes, right? Perhaps there should be Delf specic classes to remedy this gap?

Desert elves can't tame animals, but by god, if they summon one with magick they're gucci.

But no really, it doesn't make thematic sense at all for a large population of tribals to have no interest in, or skill related to, taming animals that they in fact do rely on to carry mass amounts of weight long distances.. Because even though elves pride themselves greatly on being able to travel on foot, they are also the most intelligent race in zalanthas (based on their wisdom score) and as such should then realize that it's ineffective and idiotic to carry their entire camp on their backs when they can delegate the hard work to a lesser creature while still continuing to travel on foot.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for elves to use pack animals.  It might make sense for them even to tame them, assuming they are one of the tribes that rears pack animals (just because a tribe is tribal doesn't mean they raise their own mounts even for humans), but I think I addressed that already:

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 12:58:18 AM
That might make sense if we differentiated pack and riding animals, but we don't.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 06:54:33 PM
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for elves to use pack animals.  It might make sense for them even to tame them, assuming they are one of the tribes that rears pack animals (just because a tribe is tribal doesn't mean they raise their own mounts even for humans), but I think I addressed that already:

That might make sense if we differentiated pack and riding animals, but we don't.

Sorry, I'm just trying to make sense of this post. Are you saying it doesn't make sense for elves to use pack animals, because Armageddon technically does not have pack animals? Because all pack animals are also rideable animals?

I am very surprised this is receiving pushback. It appears like an easily remedied oversight.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 06:54:33 PM

Can you... maybe... clarify your position on this?

Every other post sounds like "We could do this and it makes sense", but then its sprinkled with "But we're not going to because we don't want to".

What do you feel the 'tame' code attached to mount should be, and what are the coded resources available to an elf who decides that ox would make a great pack beast for trading with the roundears?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Our current code status is that taming halter breaks (that is teaching something to lead), breaks something to being rode, and breaks them to carry a pack (which again, is different).  Desert elves can't really do that second bit.  Within the current code, it doesn't make sense for desert elves to be able to tame mounts, because the mounts aren't differentiated.

You aren't going to see us commit to code changes in a thread like this.  Often my own personal position may not be apparent either.

So your stance can be summarized as follows (?):

QuoteTaming in the game, currently, allows mounts to both be tamed to ride and to carry large loads.
Both of these "types" of taming are, realistically, two different things.
Desert elves cannot really tame a beast to carry a large load, because "taming" codedly includes making them rideable as well.
Desert elves cannot ride things, so they cannot tame things to be beasts of burden.

Staff have no interest in committing to a change here, but not for any specified reason.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Pro-tip I just discovered after fucking YEARS of playing this game.

Nosave combat, and then just flee from the critter if it attacks you.  Since you didn't hit it back, it doesn't chase you all the way across the Known.