choosing starting bonuses at creation (weapons)

Started by Dresan, April 22, 2019, 01:18:34 PM

April 22, 2019, 01:18:34 PM Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:22:29 PM by Dresan
I wish it were possible to choose weapon bonuses at creation.

This would be a nice addition to our background, I don't see a rinther being good with swords for example rather maybe his sister taught him how to use some clubs or axes instead making a bit better at that in the beginning.

I also wish we could also choose one or two other non combat bonuses but any code supported customization based on background is always great.

This already exists based on your starting location.

You wanted more?  Instead of having your shield use increase in the north you would like to have the option of choosing chopping weapons ?

And if you start in the 'rinth you'd like a choice between dual wield or piercing?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

April 22, 2019, 01:46:07 PM #2 Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:50:00 PM by Dresan
I know there are, basically remove starting weapon bonuses based on location and let the choice be up to the player(as part of their background history).

Sorry, I guess that was not clear.

I feel like this would hinder the cultural documentation of the world if a southerner could start with shield-use boosted, despite the fact that the South is supposed to fight in light armors with one or two weapons. The same could be said in reverse for the north. Can you provide a reason why this wouldn't be the case?

I do understand that it would allow for more customizability for characters, but that's not what I'm asking. Why, culturally, would that not be a special application (as it already is) instead of a regular app that anyone could do?

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Fighting%20Styles

Does the in game population even reflect this at all?

Is it really 'flavorful' to have someone start with apprentice slashing in the south and then never pick up a sword their entire life, or have used a sword in their past?

If the argument is 'they've seen swords and are good with them because of such' then I mean, sure. I'll give you that one.

People are unique AF.

I feel if obsidian weapons actually shattered more, the bit in the documentation about why Southerners fight with two weapons would be more accurate. That -- And if most weapons in the south were made primarily of Obsidian, not bone (which seems to be the norm, blackened bone).

On one hand, yes, I would like to be able to choose a weapon style out of char-gen to approach or have a small boost in. But it's honestly not a make or break either way. Focusing on one weapon (or a couple) will yield results in a few days played.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Strange how weapon skill bonus's are to the weapon skills that fewer classes get.  Almost like it was planned that way.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 23, 2019, 06:39:32 PM
Strange how weapon skill bonus's are to the weapon skills that fewer classes get.  Almost like it was planned that way.

8)
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Jihelu on April 23, 2019, 06:06:36 PM
Does the in game population even reflect this at all?

Is it really 'flavorful' to have someone start with apprentice slashing in the south and then never pick up a sword their entire life, or have used a sword in their past?

If the argument is 'they've seen swords and are good with them because of such' then I mean, sure. I'll give you that one.

People are unique AF.

Quote from: Veselka on April 23, 2019, 06:22:06 PM
I feel if obsidian weapons actually shattered more, the bit in the documentation about why Southerners fight with two weapons would be more accurate. That -- And if most weapons in the south were made primarily of Obsidian, not bone (which seems to be the norm, blackened bone).

On one hand, yes, I would like to be able to choose a weapon style out of char-gen to approach or have a small boost in. But it's honestly not a make or break either way. Focusing on one weapon (or a couple) will yield results in a few days played.

My point was less about how -players- play, and more about how the virtual world -is-. Players can choose to forego their regional bumps if they'd like. It's fine. Like you said, you really can make up that minimal difference in skills in a day or two played. But the virtual world is still a thing and should still be represented. You've heard your entire life that Tulukies are cowards for hiding behind full-plate and helmets, so you know more about how to fight with light, agile styles because that's what your culture espouses and what you would have been taught by generic pre-chargen NPCs. You're welcome to fight the norm, but as always, I would only recommend holding one or two culture/doc-breaking views per character lest you be cursed by Mary Sue.

April 23, 2019, 11:47:43 PM #10 Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:05:12 AM by Dresan
Based on Brokkr response it seems like this OOC weapon boost to warrior and rangers(and southern burglars) vs other guilds which has been somewhat supported by culture docs.

It makes more sense that it is OOC, since it doesn't make too much IC sense for people to be good with swords(a side arm) vs spears or even shields and two-handers weapons vs dual wielding in a land with giant spiders and beetles running around.

While it is not strange that it was planned that way for the couple of decades with guilds, i do find it a bit strange its still planned this way with class changes and addition of heavy and light combat classes across different environments.

This just seems as outdated and linear as guilds were, but hey that changed and now we have warriors with master backstab. Even tuluki traditional wood based armor is probably not as heavy anymore. The world does evolve from time to time and trends can change(along with their supporting OOC mechanics).

QuoteHerbal oils have begun to take up root in the modern-day culture of Zalanthas, and as such, commoners who once went without bathing for most of their lives have been able to afford at least a semblance of the ability to clean themselves. While the history of oil dates back much further than recent years, the popularity of oils can expressly be seen to expand during the twenty second age with the advent of the Joybane Tradesmen.