Author Topic: What makes a good Byn Sergeant?  (Read 2153 times)

ShaLeah

What makes a good Byn Sergeant?
« on: April 20, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
The T'Zai Byn is -my- favorite clan.
You can be anything there, even an elf. As you can imagine I've seen good AND bad Sergeants and I'm curious.
What's on YOUR list of most desirable qualities of a Byn Sgt as a member of the clan, not as a sergeant. Here's my list:

The Best Byn Sergeants Do, a list by ShaLeah.
  • They are present both at large and primarily in their unit - That's my number one.
  • They teach - as in the command.
  • They follow the schedule - They're right up in that ruff circle beating ass. Every day.
  • They do their own RPT's. - They don't just wait for someone to hire them or spar spar spar give ticket runner forage forage forage ride ride ride back to Nak we go.
  • They ACTUALLY go out on desert survival training day - This could also be seen as following the schedule but there have been Sarges that take you out for days and teach you how to survive.
  • They do anything for sid - Yep, pretty much anything.
  • They see Runners as expendible.
  • They follow racial docs.
  • They don't rely on their Troopers to do their job.
  • They are politically swayed by sid.
  • They are have a huge knowledge of game flora fauna and geography.
  • They're corruptable.
  • They are active recruiters all the time.
  • They take over a location when they're working - stay, recruit, spend your sid, knock up a whore, get the gossip, bribe the powers.
  • They're walking advertisements for the lifestyle.

A good Byn Sgt always makes me wanna store and play a Bynner. 

What sorts of things has YOUR kick ass Byn Sgt done?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Vex

Re: What makes a good Byn Sergeant?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
The best Sergeants are inclusive, easy going on ooc inconveniences and issues, and fine with risks.

I like the ones who are fine with EVERYONE, just misfits and assorted trash with weapons, cobbled together like the dirty dozen.

It's hard, because the Byn is great, but Allanak is so awful... but you can't have one without the other...
"Mortals do drown so."

roughneck

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »

Veselka

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
It depends on whether you are a sponsored Byn Sergeant or a Runner -> Trooper -> Sergeant kind of Sergeant. I think Sponsored Roles have to tow the line a little more, which is a little antithetical to me when it comes to a Byn Sergeant. To me, they might walk out on the job itself for the right offer. But with Sponsored Roles, you're Byn Sarge 4 Lyfe, which is fine, just comes with a different bag I think.

In no particular order...

1. Promote people when you come into your station of office. If a Runner is a RL week away from promotion, promote them early, and gain a trusted confidant.
2. Demote people who are pissing you off. See if they have the backbone to stay in the Company after going back to shit duty as a Runner for a few weeks.
3. Create contracts out of thin air for clients, don't just wait for them to come to you for work. Request meetings, hob nob, brainstorm things they might want, and secure funding.
4. Fraternize with friends and with enemies. Encourage people to leave the compound on leave days and not just wait around for sparring, go to the Gaj and show everyone how great the Byn is, talk about previous contracts, and recruit more red shirts.
5. Don't overly value Runners, and don't undervalue Troopers. The real lifeblood of the Byn are those who are making money, and therefore have a stake in your business. Don't be afraid to use the whip.
6. Parlay with Salters/Grebbers to pawn your Mercenaries off on. 100 'Sid there, 200 'Sid here, makes them happy and feel useful.
7. Don't worry about being the GOAT. Have faults, failures, weaknesses, and cracks in the armor. You can't be Billy Badass all the time, and you shouldn't worry about fucking up IG.
8. Be available around the same time on the days you play. This alleviates the illusion you need to be logged in 24/7. If people know when to find you on Monday and Thursday, they're far less likely to complain about you never being around. Also, kill all the people who complain about you never being around, or threaten to cut their fruits off.
9. Embrace death as an inevitability. Be the first through the breech. Live life to its fullest, and go out with a bang.
10. Have a history, be it sordid family or a cruel past. Have a mortal enemy -- Gith, Spiders, etc. Talk to voices in your head, have past enemies or friends haunt you in your dreams. PTSD, especially after really tough battles.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Tuannon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:38:24 PM »
Anyone who plays like kankfly.

So a believable, inclusive character with flaws who tries and sometimes fails to cover their flaws by recruiting help but then dies anyway because they don't take unreasonable steps to ensure their survival. Largely what I'm saying is, kankfly did all the things mentioned earlier. Other than that I haven't had much experience with Byn sergeants other than the sellout aspect.

Riev

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »
8. Be available around the same time on the days you play. This alleviates the illusion you need to be logged in 24/7. If people know when to find you on Monday and Thursday, they're far less likely to complain about you never being around. Also, kill all the people who complain about you never being around, or threaten to cut their fruits off.

Bears repeating. You don't need to be on 6 hours a day, every day. Be as consistent as your schedule allows, so you can be counted on for certain events. If people bitch that you're never around at peak, deal as you will. Send a Trooper to constantly knock on their apartment door for an entire day. Waylay their aide in an alley. Punch them square in the face.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

PriestlySiren

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »
Play your character. I can't emphasize this enough. Play your character in a way that is believable. This goes through ALL aspects mentioned. How you treat runners, how you treat clients, how you treat jobs. If you are playing a coward who would run as soon as they got hurt? Do that!
If you play a character who refuses to leave even a lowly runner behind? Do that!

Develop your chain of command, so that if you get burnt out, there's someone who can help pick up the slack. Delegate what you can.

Find ways to create RP for more than just your clan.

If you don't have jobs for some unknown reason? Find something to offer to do for people.

This goes for any leadership position: Play to have fun for yourself. Just moderate so that you include others in your fun!

Also. DON'T BE AFRAID TO DIE! AND DO IT GLORIOUSLY! (Or not gloriously. But still)

Riev

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
Play your character. I can't emphasize this enough. Play your character in a way that is believable.

Honestly, this. Some people get to be a Byn Sergeant and think "Okay, my job/position is my role. I am now a Byn Sergeant and I must act accordingly." (I do this a lot and its not good)

I think recent PCs of mine had been "better" when I started coming up with IC goals that I knew, OOCly, weren't going to happen. Rush wanted to own his own Music Shop. Suradin wanted to start his own MMH/C-elf mercantile tribe in Luir's. Even Awad wanted to start or be a part of a brothel to cement his crew's power Southside.

COULD those things happen? Absolutely. Were they likely to? Not with how I play. But I imagine Rush was a 'more rounded" character with his obsession about instruments, and music, and his desire to not lose trusted members of his unit. Or I hope it did.

ShaLeah

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
Play your character. I can't emphasize this enough. Play your character in a way that is believable.

Honestly, this.

THIS isn't a good Byn Sergeant.  THIS is just good roleplay.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

PriestlySiren

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »

Honestly, this.

THIS isn't a good Byn Sergeant.  THIS is just good roleplay.

I will clarify my statement then. A GOOD Byn Sergeant has the responsibility to BE a good role player. Many new players trickle in and out of the Byn. A GOOD Byn Sergeant should be an example for new and old players for consistent role play. Roleplay is a huge part of playing a Byn Sergeant and shouldn’t be dismissed from the qualities that make a good one.

Derain

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »
I feel like a good Sergeant to me nurses their unit into shape and rewards exceptional runners. I am notorious for going out on desert patrol and making my runners salt or greb and pay for the stable fees. Also I try to run a desert patrol a few times a week and keep the players wanting to log on to see what I am up to. Unfortunately my most recent run got cut short before my character was allowed to develop.

Hauwke

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
A good Byn Sergeant doesn't give a shit about Runners. But the second you give a guy a stripe, best friends. Boom.

Tuannon

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 01:55:02 AM »
I feel like a good Sergeant to me nurses their unit into shape and rewards exceptional runners. I am notorious for going out on desert patrol and making my runners salt or greb and pay for the stable fees. Also I try to run a desert patrol a few times a week and keep the players wanting to log on to see what I am up to. Unfortunately my most recent run got cut short before my character was allowed to develop.

I think this serves two purposes aside from obviously 'free' stabling.

#1 The Sergeant gets to see who is most likely to break lines and fuck up in the field or fall asleep at their sentry post whatever.

#2 What the unit does during boring duties shows people who is a self starter and who isn't, who is a whiner and who isn't.. that sort of thing.

Riev

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
Every Byn Sergeant role I've ever had was a "started as a Runner" role. Normally its because my PCs that stick around are the type to actually be present for chores and take their shit-job seriously.

I find it makes most of my Sergeants feel like their unit (Troopers, really) are their family, and while they like to engage in the dangerous stuff, my Sergeants don't like to lose their family.

"So long as you're in my unit, you're family, and we don't leave family."

It makes me wish Runners were just a "general pool" of Byn Runners, not assigned to any particular unit. So if you have a Suns Sergeant and a Raptors Sergeant, and they both see potential in this good Runner... its up to them to decide if they want to graduate them early, or not.

Cerelum

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
You guys are making me wanna join the Byn.  But I’ll probably get kicked out in the first week for not shit shoveling.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Veselka

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
Every Byn Sergeant role I've ever had was a "started as a Runner" role. Normally its because my PCs that stick around are the type to actually be present for chores and take their shit-job seriously.

I find it makes most of my Sergeants feel like their unit (Troopers, really) are their family, and while they like to engage in the dangerous stuff, my Sergeants don't like to lose their family.

"So long as you're in my unit, you're family, and we don't leave family."

It makes me wish Runners were just a "general pool" of Byn Runners, not assigned to any particular unit. So if you have a Suns Sergeant and a Raptors Sergeant, and they both see potential in this good Runner... its up to them to decide if they want to graduate them early, or not.

I rather like that idea. It'd place more value on the Unit being Troopers than the Runners, and also gives the Sergeants the opportunity to pick and choose who they would promote into their unit. It also makes it easier to let Runners go at the end of their year if they aren't up to snuff.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Riev

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
It also increases the animosity between Sergeants (for plucking a good Runner out from under them), and adds risk to promoting a well-mannered Runner that doesn't have the combat training to survive as a Trooper.

To the original post, I think what makes a good Byn Sergeant is coming up with ways (like this) to make your Stripes feel like a part of something. Make all that training -worth- something to them. Engender trust in your leadership, take on both the boring and the bombastic. You're not just a Bynner. You're not just some Raging Tembo. You're RIEV'S Raging Tembos. And when he eventually dies so that his troopers may live, it will be VESELEKA'S Raging Tembos, carrying on tradition, etc.

I should make another Byn Sergeant.

Vex

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 12:01:25 AM »
I, too, liked starship troopers.

"Mortals do drown so."

IntuitiveApathy

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 10:32:21 PM »
It also increases the animosity between Sergeants (for plucking a good Runner out from under them), and adds risk to promoting a well-mannered Runner that doesn't have the combat training to survive as a Trooper.

To the original post, I think what makes a good Byn Sergeant is coming up with ways (like this) to make your Stripes feel like a part of something. Make all that training -worth- something to them. Engender trust in your leadership, take on both the boring and the bombastic. You're not just a Bynner. You're not just some Raging Tembo. You're RIEV'S Raging Tembos. And when he eventually dies so that his troopers may live, it will be VESELEKA'S Raging Tembos, carrying on tradition, etc.

There's some good ideas in this thread (not the least of which is Riev making another Byn Sergeant  ;D).

When the units were introduced to the Byn, nothing really changed.  Members of different units would still mix together for any Byn purpose and activity as was before.  This was because while the units probably should be doing things like training, contracts, etc within their own units, in practice there simply isn't enough player population to support such segregation.  The only time that the units really mattered was when the Byn was actually physically separated into southern and northern branches, and the units (and their Sergeants) would be more or less permanently stationed in one city or the other.  Whenever the Byn was reconsolidated (due to not having enough players), that would disappear and everyone would get mushed together again, and that's now a essentially permanent now that Tuluk is off-limits to play. 

Anyway, that's not to say that the units were a bad idea, but I agree the concept could do with some tweaking.

I like the general pool idea, for one.  Taking that further and meshing it with Riev's idea, you could have all Bynners, Sergeants and below default to a general pool (ie. everyone's just part of the PC Warband), and only award a unit to a Sergeant once they've earned it in the eyes of their Lieutenant.  If there are multiple active Sergeants, they could fight for the right to lead the prestigious unit, or the right to imprint their own name for a relatively unknown or forgotten unit.  Heck, maybe even cut the named units down to only one available to lead, so that it creates an artificial bottleneck for Sergeants (and the Bynners loyal to them) to fight over.  Those who make it into the named unit might be considered a cut above.  This way, things mesh with the IC/OOC realities of the current Byn - everyone's playing together already anyway, and the separate units don't make much difference at all.  Once someone gets into one of/the elite unit, then they can be looked up to and tread upon the rest of the regular grunts.

Alternately, you could just create a separate elite unit, and keep the regular units, but I feel that in practice it'd be easier for everyone to just look up to the one named unit (including outsiders, who might not know otherwise, but if they see that a Bynner has a unit patch, all of a sudden they're special if no other Bynners have one).  Having one named unit would also allow everyone to keep track of who were the famed leaders/members of same a bit easier as well.  With so many units it's hard to remember who led which.  Then, it really could be Veselka's Raging Tembos, and maybe the Tembos could even be retired if a new incoming Sergeant earned the right.  The new Sergeant could either take over and continue with the Tembos in Veselka's tradition, or start up their own new elite unit (using the other unused patch, or encouraged to write up their own, etc). 

There was also an idea for a time by some of the clan imms to create further differentiation/progression using pins or something that one would attach to the patches, but I don't believe that really went anywhere.

Anyhow, we're getting a bit off topic - but IMO, what makes a good Byn Sergeant isn't much different than what makes any good PC leader: consistent RP of their character, a willingness to involve and create for those they lead, and the ability to make the game world come alive for those around them (especially to portray the grittiness of the Byn).
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

ShaLeah

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
It makes me wish Runners were just a "general pool" of Byn Runners, not assigned to any particular unit.
I rather like that idea. It'd place more value on the Unit being Troopers than the Runners, and also gives the Sergeants the opportunity to pick and choose who they would promote into their unit. It also makes it easier to let Runners go at the end of their year if they aren't up to snuff.

This falls in line with:
  • They see Runners as expendable.
5. Don't overly value Runners, and don't undervalue Troopers.

I really like the idea of no runners getting patches. I'm even a fan of not auto-promoting to Trooper after a year. It'd certainly make the fodder more easily detectable too. I'm even a fan of asking wooing troopers away from one Sergeant.

I don't think any of this is against the rules.

Please. Do.

Riev

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »
To IA's point about the general pool:

The Byn is a semi-necessary function for military power in Allanak. You need at least 2 Sergeants to cover playtimes and to get contracts done. PREFERABLY the Sergants have some overlap with one another, but general have different schedules.

The (potential) problem with Runners not getting patches, is it can be easy to just wear a 'brown cloak' and try to sneak in. The patches are supposed to signify who is taking responsibility for some dumbfuck Runner's actions (or if someone snuck in, for having a dead Runner and not collecting the Company Property back).

I think all Runners should get a "Fury" patch, cloak, and weapons. Fury designates the PC warband, but you don't get your Unit patch until your prove your ass is worth it. Then you know who to "assign" a Runner to (Fury warband) in case they fuck up. And it gives two shoulder wear locations to show off who you are/who you belong to.

I think one of my best Byn Sergeants was either Beard (Zoltan ftw) or Wakazi (fourTwenty), only because they were my first introductions to the Byn, and they certainly made sure I knew the rules, and would seek me out to do some random task, even if that was just meeting with a potential client.

IntuitiveApathy

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »
To IA's point about the general pool:

The (potential) problem with Runners not getting patches, is it can be easy to just wear a 'brown cloak' and try to sneak in. The patches are supposed to signify who is taking responsibility for some dumbfuck Runner's actions (or if someone snuck in, for having a dead Runner and not collecting the Company Property back).

Though I've never tried it myself, I presume it'd be rather difficult for a non-clanned coded person to sneak in to the compound and/or even pretend to be a Bynner even when outside.  I actually think it really should be easier for outsiders to be able to sneak into the Byn (both physically and metaphorically) and pretend to be a Bynner for whatever (fun) reason - there's so many people joining/leaving/dying all the time that it should be easy for people to lose track of who's actually a Bynner or not, especially for a random gate guard that might be from another unit/warband/etc.   So I actually see this as something that would make sense for the game world and be a benefit to the game as it would presumably lead to some potential (fun) times  :D
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

dravage

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:31 AM »
Hi there!

I don't have a lot to add to the great feedback already given by former Sarge players, other than highlighting that the key to a great Byn Sergeant (like any good clan leader) is to provide enough fun, activities, engagement, for your unit(s). Lots of politics, errands, contracts, adventure, and trying to keep people busy and serving with a purpose, like Riev said.

A good Byn Sergeant also knows how to network, schmooze, and play factions against one another.

Concerning the unit assignment changes, I really like how that could potentially impact play in the Byn. The only potential concern (which of course could turn out to be a positive point) is who decides which Runners go to which unit? That could provide some interesting inter-unit politics as to which Runners get promoted to which unit, which Sergeant needs them more etc.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Riev

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
Riev's Raptors keep taking all the Runners, so his unit is full.
He can no longer recruit into his unit.
Unfortunately, he recruits Runners that weren't ready for promotion to Trooper, and they keep dying.
Eventually, the Lieutenant is going to see a lot of poorly executed contracts, or Runners will realize they don't -want- to accept a position with the  Raptors.

Dravage's Doorknockers, on the other hand, only take Runners that are interested, and well trained.
The Doorknockers only have the Sergeant, and 2 Troopers. They've been around for a year.
Eventually, people realize the Doorknockers are a more elite unit, and get taken on contracts with better survival chances.

I think the Free Market would correct.

dravage

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 08:34:09 AM »
The main concerns here would be:

• What constitutes full? A variety of playtimes of various Runners and/or Troopers will mean this varies drastically. Are two off-peak Troopers who can't do contracts equal to one peak-time Trooper? What about the Trooper that logs in every other day vs the Trooper that logs in every day?
  • In fierce competition between Sergeants, fuller than full can be a benefit to stack numbers - there'd be vying for larger numbers, more Troopers = ability to do more contracts = more cash
  • What constitutes an "elite" unit, in practice? Is this immediately obvious to Runners at all? Is there any reasonable way to distinguish in game? I'd say possibly, but it's not hugely evident or obvious - the Sergeant would have to spend a lot of time in propaganda (which could be great!).

This all said, I still believe it could provide for good RP across the board.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."