Gates, Guards, Wildlife and so much more.

Started by Cerelum, April 19, 2019, 11:06:32 AM

Quote from: Jihelu on April 22, 2019, 05:17:23 PM
Dwarves can't be soldiers tho so IDK what racial mix you expect except humans + the rare HG

Lolwhat? This is incorrect. Ever hear about Meso?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Meso was a Tor Scorpion.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

April 22, 2019, 05:21:26 PM #27 Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:25:02 PM by gotdamnmiracle
Quote from: Medena on April 22, 2019, 05:19:53 PM
Meso was a Tor Scorpion.

Then when house Tor closed he was a soldier. I recall this because I was there when they made the offer for us to be Sabers.

Dwarves just can't be sergeants or something because who would want that? They're disgusting bald-bodied stumps.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 22, 2019, 05:21:26 PM
Meso was a Tor Scorpion.

Then when house Tor closed he was a soldier. I recall this because I was there when they made the offer for us to be Sabers.

Maybe it was a one-off thing then due to the special circumstances of House Tor being closed.  I am quite certain that dwarves are not permitted in the AoD.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

April 22, 2019, 05:29:40 PM #29 Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:32:16 PM by gotdamnmiracle
Quote from: Medena on April 22, 2019, 05:27:17 PM
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 22, 2019, 05:21:26 PM
Meso was a Tor Scorpion.

Maybe it was a one-off thing then due to the special circumstances of House Tor being closed.  I am quite certain that dwarves are not permitted in the AoD.

Okay. I don't really give a shit if there are dwarves in this cadre or not.

There have been dwarven PC AoD soldiers before, it's just exceedingly rare and requires an exceptionally talented dwarf with a solid rep... and even then they can't get past a certain rank. Also, what others said, the AoD PCs DO go on patrol if they have permission and/or orders. I've had them ride up to me in the wastes and hassle me with questions, though this was many years ago.

Granted, you can't just roll a dwarf out of chargen and expect to get in, and without special orders or having the authority to make those orders, you shouldn't be patrolling outside. There are reasons for this. It's dangerous out there, people die all the time (which cuts down on available troops), and if the enemy gets your uniform it creates the opportunity for some really bad mischief. This is why your commanding officer will flay the skin from your bones for it, both for endangering the unit, and to make an example to anyone else considering doing so.

That said, I like the idea of some outer circle/farming village patrols with real presence, even if most times it's NPCs. It makes sense the routes between city resources would be at least a little secured.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Grapes on April 23, 2019, 09:08:00 AM

That said, I like the idea of some outer circle/farming village patrols with real presence, even if most times it's NPCs. It makes sense the routes between city resources would be at least a little secured.

Yeah. And since certain raider organizations exist it'd give them a challenging thing to run into or even attack if they were interested.

There are troops of units on the North road too that have a similar purpose and, while they stand still, are still interesting to fight.