Karma Regeneration Notification Question

Started by Krath, April 07, 2019, 01:44:05 PM

Quote from: lairos on April 09, 2019, 12:04:38 PM
If someone want's to wait to have their karma back to play what they want to play? If they are burnt out and need a break? I would much rather someone take the time and play what they want then play something half assed because all that will do is spawn more complaints. To get back on the topic, an email would still serve to help benefit the game and the playerbase. This email doesn't seem like an outlandish request and is far more compromising than asking for the regen to be done away with completely.
Agreed. I personally think the regen is a terrible idea and pretty well loathe it. But this would simply be a nice addition since I don't think that's changing. We have an aging player base a lot of whom don't have time for PCs they aren't excited about.  (The variety of area/mage/tribe/clan options to play that we lost don't help either. I miss being able to hate our lost Tuluki brethren)

With the karma Regen mechanic and the longer average life of PCs I am almost always going to spend it when I have it. Not spending it means for the entire lifetime of that character it's not regenerating and going unused.

Also with magic subguilds staff straight up said it was to make mages characters first and gicks second. I have no qualms rolling back to back mages now. In the past I always alternated between mundanes and special characters. Now that just seems like a waste of karma.
3/21/16 Never Forget

The other huge issue is people play safe and avoid plots and death or danger. I am starting to want to back away I may wait for my Karma to regen this time.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Quote from: Cerelum on April 08, 2019, 04:34:25 PM
Yeah I assumed this was a feature asked purely so people would only play when they had their 2 or 3 karma available.

While I am not against an email for this stuff, I would say that I'd rather have you half ass play a character who's mundane in every way and my character has a chance to interact with, than to simply not play for 120 days because your mul cant be apped till then.

If we had 100+ players logging on every day at all hours then sure.  But the current state of the game is that I can wander to every bar in the city, including the rinth and not see someone because they are either in a clan location or off outside doing shit.

So that's my only hesitation to this line of thinking, I too love Magickers and special shit, but feel it would be a disservice to others to not have my random mundane running around.

Not everyone places so little value on their free time, as to slog through something they don't enjoy.

"For the game!" is not a valid argument in any discussion, when in virtually every situation, neither players nor staff care about your experience, even when you are actively playing. Please do understand, the "saints of rp" posturing you see passed around, here on the GDB, are just that. Posturing.

For people to feel a part of something, they need to feel welcomed, respected and appreciated. That is probably only the case for... a very, very small percentage of the playerbase.

Everyone else, plays for themselves or should be, which is fine. The cost of excessive rules and regulations, is lower interest and participation. Here we are. A lot of people don't play, or play for keeps, unless they're running their max karma pc. If no karma, they don't play until they get it back, or play weak throw away pcs. Not how I'd run it, but it is not me paying to keep the lights on, either.

Tbh, everything surrounding karma, seems unnecessary, and counter productive to the nebulous goal of increasing player numbers. The carrot is only enticing, if you actually know you'll eventually enjoy it. Many do not, or in such small doses, it doesn't satisfy.

As for the actual purpose of thread, I see no issue with an e-mail about karmas. For time pressed people, these kinds of things are handy.
"Mortals do drown so."

Re: email notifications
I like it

Re: change to karma respawn rates
I think data is required to make a smart decision.  Are 3% of accounts waiting for karma regeneration, or 30%?  Is the "I know a few people waiting..." and "I also know a few people waiting" 7 distinct people or the same 3 popular people.

example: There has been 14 distinct GDB accounts posting in this thread and it has 28 replies.  There are 312 views of the thread and there is approx 200 unique players this week.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 09, 2019, 03:22:06 PM
Re: change to karma respawn rates
I think data is required to make a smart decision.  Are 3% of accounts waiting for karma regeneration, or 30%?  Is the "I know a few people waiting..." and "I also know a few people waiting" 7 distinct people or the same 3 popular people.

example: There has been 14 distinct GDB accounts posting in this thread and it has 28 replies.  There are 312 views of the thread and there is approx 200 unique players this week.

Ok...Data..Something I can work with. I did not intend to discuss this in the thread but now lets look at it.

To get a full comprehensive data set for the above request you would need to do the following

1. Number of Active accounts (designated by accounts that has been active in the last 121 days, based on 120 days to regen 3 full karma)
2. Average weekly Playtime\Activity of Accounts with 0,1,2 and 3 karma
3. Average weekly playtime of 0 karma pcs vs karma pcs
4. Account activity of accounts after karma usage, and karma using PC has died. (This would be used to determine if pcs degrade the amount of time they commit to the game based on if they do or do not have karma available.)

What else am I missing?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Average doesn't really help. You'd be better off seeing the actual scale. Where people fall on that scale.  If the long-lived are REDONKULOUSLY long-lived, but there are only a handful of them, and the short-lived are just tolerably short-lived but there were tons of them, then the average will not really tell you anything at all. The same is true in reverse. It also matters WHY they were long or short lived. If they're long-lived because they avoided conflict, stayed under the radar, and preferred crafting bone swords to moving plotlines, then the average will be meaningless. If they're short-lived because they hated their stats and jumped into the silt sea, the average will be meaningless.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Crazy CT Cat Lady does data.

This week's special on ArmHub.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

April 09, 2019, 04:25:29 PM #33 Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:28:04 PM by Bebop
Just came here to say I think karma regen is damaging.

Some people just want to play magickers.  I NEVER played them when I had the karma.  Just was not for me.  However, it's frustrating when you can't play what you want to play and such a thing makes you often think about quitting *cough* Bards of Poet's Circle.  *cough*

If you earned the karma fine go play magickers.

Also, we don't need more people playing safe.  Especially not people good enough to earn karma.  I wanna see them go wild. 

Finally, Armageddon is the only game in the world that casually drops around months and weeks.  Three months is A LOOOOOOOOONG time, my god.  We're in a tech age.  I mean I get a food delivery every freaking week.  I get my mail in like a day or two.  New games come out all of the time.  I can take my Switch anywhere, play it anytime and we've got Armageddon MUD over here like, just wait a quarter of year to play something you like.  Pfft.  WHAT?!

There seems to be a real disconnect on the concept of games and reward.

You like playing a certain type of character?  Have fun.  You did well?  Here's a promotion, play a powerful person.  Instead, long-term request is met with the removal of the character you enjoy, and karma is rationed even after you've earned it.  And it's not easy to earn!

40 ish people on at peak lately and 14 who think Karma regen hurts the game hmmm.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Quote from: Derain on April 09, 2019, 09:53:27 PM
40 ish people on at peak lately and 14 who think Karma regen hurts the game hmmm.

seriously, you forgot the kermit drinking tea gif
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So... about them emails?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.