Karma Regeneration Notification Question

Started by Krath, April 07, 2019, 01:44:05 PM

April 07, 2019, 01:44:05 PM Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:49:16 PM by Krath
Would it be possible to implement, if there is not already an option, to receive an email notification when your karma has regenerated?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Can't you just check whenever you log in?  :P

I would like to see a thing that says your karma will fully regenerate on X days
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Quote from: Dresan on April 07, 2019, 02:56:46 PM
Can't you just check whenever you log in?  :P

You are absolutely correct, however, for the subset of players that want to wait for their karma to regenerate to play the role they want to play, rather than a throw me away, it would be convenient.

Your suggestion works for players that are fine sinking hours of real life  time into a role they are not truly vested in.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Isn't the whole point of Karma regeneration so people don't play, Magicker, Magicker, Magicker, Magicker?

Or whatever Karma option?

Quote from: Cerelum on April 07, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
Isn't the whole point of Karma regeneration so people don't play, Magicker, Magicker, Magicker, Magicker?

I am not sure, but I think so. Staff would have to give the official answer for that question Cerelum. Lets assume that is the case.

How does sending an email, notifying a player when their karma has regenerated, have anything to do with what is proposed?

Quote from: Krath on April 07, 2019, 11:18:34 PM

I am not sure, but I think so. Staff would have to give the official answer for that question Cerelum. Lets assume that is the case.

How does sending an email, notifying a player when their karma has regenerated, have anything to do with what is proposed?

Forgive me for assuming, but I would only assume that this mattered if say you rolled a Magicker for 2 or 3 Karma, died before it regenerated and wanted to play another Magicker.

If the non-karma required options are not interesting to you to play, or invest 45 days or whatever it takes to regenerate Karma to full, isn't that the same as skirting around the karma regeneration mechanic?

Quote from: Cerelum on April 07, 2019, 11:31:40 PM
Quote from: Krath on April 07, 2019, 11:18:34 PM

Forgive me for assuming, but I would only assume that this mattered if say you rolled a Magicker for 2 or 3 Karma, died before it regenerated and wanted to play another Magicker.

If the non-karma required options are not interesting to you to play, or invest 45 days or whatever it takes to regenerate Karma to full, isn't that the same as skirting around the karma regeneration mechanic?

I do not think it is skirting around anything. It not like, receiving an email telling you your karma has regenerated makes your karma come back faster.

I am not a supporter of making a character just for the sake of making one while you wait for what you want to play to become available. If you enjoy playing only ESGs, MSGs, Racial selections (Delves, Muls, HGs), PSI or Sorcs, then play those roles, if you do not then don't.

Having the email does two things:

1. For the players that do want to invest RL time on a role they are not 100% vested in, it gives them notification that karma is available to use if they wish to.
and
2. For the players that do not want to invest RL time on a role they are not 100% vested in, it gives them notification that karma is available to use if they wish to.

Krath is correct in everything he said here my honest question is why if we didn't need to be baby sat for 20 years did we suddenly need to and 120 days in my
Opinion to regen fully is ridiculous for a game.

Can't you still log in, without a character, and check your race/guild options?  I believe so.  Also, if you feel you deserve to play a certain race/guild with a karma requirement, can you not submit a request to do so?

I did not start this thread to talk about why the karma regeneration addition to the game does or does not suck.

There was a time, correct me if. I am wrong, where you had to log in to find out when/if your character was approved. All I am saying is it would be convenient to have this option.

Also another question, if I log in to just check my karma, does that quantify as an active log in? If so, my issue with that is it is misrepresenting the number of active players in a given period of time.

I see no problem with what Krath is asking.

If I use my Karma for an extended subguild and it dies, and I have a REALLY cool idea for a magicker I want to play, but I have to wait 30 days... an email saying "You've regenerated 1 point of karma in ArmageddonMud! This brings your total up to <total>! Here's to a great role!" wouldn't be terrible.

"You can log in and check it" is a valid response, but that isn't the point. Not everyone plays Armageddon every day, or even every week even WITH an active character. The email is a fine, neutral suggestion, that doesn't change the way you play the game. It just acts as a reminder that something has happened to your account, like Approvals, Deaths, and Resolved Requests.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

While even a time could be listed on your account giving you a date or a day countdown until your next karma regenerates would be awesome? I think an email could serve a couple different purposes. As it stands, you get an email when you EARN another karma point. Though if a player died and was upset and went away or whatever other circumstance? What if that email saying a point has become available is what brings the player back to playing? Do you think they are likely to send a request or bother to login to check? If a thing like an email could help bring players back, much like the attempt was at sending kudos to even old characters to see if maybe it hit a player who wasn't playing? Why not this?
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

April 08, 2019, 12:13:17 PM #13 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:21:17 PM by th3kaiser
Literally no reason not to do this. There's a bunch of us old people that don't want to play random warrior #212 and grind away for 30 hours on a character we feel "meh" about. That email would simply be a nice reminder. Oh hey, you have your karma back maybe you want to make a thing and help populate our game! I mean, I've been taking breaks between karma regens now and I can't imagine I'm the only one who's waiting for it before playing again.

Also Cerelum, as an FYI using two Karma takes 75 days to regen. 3 karma takes 120. So we're not talking about tiny waits here.

Yep. It's a twofer punch. One, lets you know where your karma is at. Two, gives the Staff an opportunity to reconnect with players who haven't played for a bit, remind them the game is around, and encourage them to log back in.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Yeah I assumed this was a feature asked purely so people would only play when they had their 2 or 3 karma available.

While I am not against an email for this stuff, I would say that I'd rather have you half ass play a character who's mundane in every way and my character has a chance to interact with, than to simply not play for 120 days because your mul cant be apped till then.

If we had 100+ players logging on every day at all hours then sure.  But the current state of the game is that I can wander to every bar in the city, including the rinth and not see someone because they are either in a clan location or off outside doing shit.

So that's my only hesitation to this line of thinking, I too love Magickers and special shit, but feel it would be a disservice to others to not have my random mundane running around.

I believe karma regen hurts the game more than it helps the game.

Quote from: Cerelum on April 08, 2019, 04:34:25 PM
Yeah I assumed this was a feature asked purely so people would only play when they had their 2 or 3 karma available.

While I am not against an email for this stuff, I would say that I'd rather have you half ass play a character who's mundane in every way and my character has a chance to interact with, than to simply not play for 120 days because your mul cant be apped till then.

If we had 100+ players logging on every day at all hours then sure.  But the current state of the game is that I can wander to every bar in the city, including the rinth and not see someone because they are either in a clan location or off outside doing shit.

So that's my only hesitation to this line of thinking, I too love Magickers and special shit, but feel it would be a disservice to others to not have my random mundane running around.

I think for the third time, this needs to be reiterated.

People waiting for their karma to regenerate aren't always playing a PC right now to begin with.
People asking for an email to ping them when they DO regenerate a point/all their karma are just asking for a way to be told, externally, that there are changes to their player account.
We already email in the case of kudos, other requests, PC death, and have on occasion sent out emails to "old" players informing them of changes to the game.

I know you mean it with good intentions, Cerelum, but it is an asshole's way of thinking that you would "rather someone half-ass a character they don't want to play" so that YOU have interaction, vs someone playing that role they've been thinking about for 2 months.

It's really a shame how expensive extended subguilds can be. I can't imagine everyone is constantly waiting on playing another mul/HG/supermage/whatever.

Is it really necessary to have to wait over two months to be able to play another Outdoorsman?

Quote from: Alesan on April 09, 2019, 10:43:13 AM
It's really a shame how expensive extended subguilds can be. I can't imagine everyone is constantly waiting on playing another mul/HG/supermage/whatever.

Is it really necessary to have to wait over two months to be able to play another Outdoorsman?

Without wishing to start an argument over it, there has been a shift towards PC longevity driving plot points and staff interaction. Some sponsored roles require the PC to be around for a RL year before 'serious changes' happen.
To me, it just shifts to less risky gameplay, because while your PC might think its okay to engage that gortok den, you know OOCly that you'll have to wait 2 months to play another extended subguild PC or magicker if you make that decision.

On topic, though, sometimes players take breaks. I often would take 2-3 month breaks between PCs because I wasn't feeling it after a particularly long-lived or leadership role. If I got an email after a couple months, reminding me that I can now play that 3 karma magicker I've been thinking about, that might be enough to reinvigorate my creative process.

Quote from: Alesan on April 09, 2019, 10:43:13 AM

It made more sense with the old guilds and before the extended subs got re-worked, because the extended subs gave more powerful combinations. However, at that time there was no regen period, ironically.

I don't think the current combinations give the power to warrant a 10 week regen time. I'm not a heavy consistent playtime player anymore though, so I'm overall ambivalent. There's also some pretty effective regular subclasses.

From a player retention standpoint, the regen system is counterproductive. Arm is more of a habit than it is anything else. When you create any kind of incentive for players to not play (like waiting for CGP), you create an opportunity for the player to replace their Arm habit with a new habit during their break (probably with a different game habit).

As an email I'm totally fine with that part.

However, I do have to say since I've been back playing here last three months or so, I have ran into more witches, more muls and more psionicists than ever before.

I literally watched a handful of people die, asked how they died to find out they were a secret witch, or suspected mindbender etc.

Now this is all ic perception and such, but it seems like everyone is a special character I've ran into.

However, I do think that if half of what was suspected and such was correct in the witch category, then maybe the regen is good because if all those secret witches just roll another secret witch it's just a long line of secret witches.

I think my character actually thought.

Think Are there any regular fucking humans in Allanak?

Disclaimer: If this seems a little oddly written or confusing, I am under the influence of narcotics currently.

Quote from: Cerelum on April 09, 2019, 11:29:45 AM
As an email I'm totally fine with that part.

However, I do have to say since I've been back playing here last three months or so, I have ran into more witches, more muls and more psionicists than ever before.

I literally watched a handful of people die, asked how they died to find out they were a secret witch, or suspected mindbender etc.

Now this is all ic perception and such, but it seems like everyone is a special character I've ran into.

However, I do think that if half of what was suspected and such was correct in the witch category, then maybe the regen is good because if all those secret witches just roll another secret witch it's just a long line of secret witches.

I think my character actually thought.

Think Are there any regular fucking humans in Allanak?

Disclaimer: If this seems a little oddly written or confusing, I am under the influence of narcotics currently.

They might have been secret witches or mindbenders. Or maybe it's currently a popular excuse to murder people. Most likely, it's a mix of both.

It wasn't a problem for 20 years. ALSO it was always a rule of thumb not to roll back to back mages or HGs etc.

I suspect a combination myself. The reason there are more hidden witches now than before is because there is far more ability to be a hidden witch since they are now subs rather than full magickers. You can hide a lot easier and there is far more playability and less restriction to remain a rogue than their is in getting a gem.

If someone want's to wait to have their karma back to play what they want to play? If they are burnt out and need a break? I would much rather someone take the time and play what they want then play something half assed because all that will do is spawn more complaints. To get back on the topic, an email would still serve to help benefit the game and the playerbase. This email doesn't seem like an outlandish request and is far more compromising than asking for the regen to be done away with completely.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."