City Elves: Running behind wagons

Started by Dresan, April 06, 2019, 09:16:03 AM

You forgot encumberance penalties too!
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Well elves are sorta supposed to be super fast pussies right?

They aren't supposed to be able to haul tons of shit are they?

April 15, 2019, 02:07:57 PM #27 Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:09:30 PM by Dresan
Just focusing on their ability to run even if light encumbrance. Their strength penalties and clan options would be off-topic for this thread.

I was talking about running,  in desert,  in the city.  All of it. Water is heavy. Food is heavy. City Elves being fast but tiring just as easily as other races.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

City elves get -1 stam cost running in city rooms, so many rooms cost 0 stam to run in, though there are those 3-4 run stam cost rooms.

Where is the notion of celves running worse then humans coming from? Celves movement is fastest in the game. Faster then delves even. Celves have the easiest time of getting rid of tails. Just run a few rooms and whomever is shadowing you will fall behind. Revealing himself 'and' getting a massive delay pounded on them.

The matter being discussed is that elves should be able to run great distances without falter, which is what they do in the city. However, they lack the endurance that a desert elf provides when it comes to the outdoors, which makes some sense although it is a bit silly in application given the size of the world.

Any city elf worth their salt can become top of the food chain in the city, and I can say from experience that it's a frightening experience to play during hours where city elves just so happen to be plentiful! Being a human Rinther without any support other than yourself while you got elves running around who are master sneakies? Terrifying, especially when you take in blowdarts, poisons, and all that rigmarole... typing "hunt" and seeing that they're stalking you while there's not much you can do about it.

Under the right circumstances and from certain playstyles, city elves are not to be trifled with! Makes me scared of city play :'(

April 15, 2019, 06:02:54 PM #32 Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:06:08 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Dar on April 15, 2019, 05:35:50 PM
Where is the notion of celves running worse then humans coming from?

It is because they get as tired as humans running on major streets. Maybe rinthi/nakkie c-elves get different location bonus. Don't believe so but its been a while, maybe something changed.

They do move and walk faster, I believe its thanks to agility(?) and height though. Height adding to size which makes all things weigh a lot more.  Not sure its the best trade off anymore seeing that 3 stone leather and chitin cheap vest suddenly become 17 stones.  :-\

I could get behind this as a wagon-only feature. I mean, walking/running along in the shadow of a wagon wouldn't be as bad as simply running along solo in the desert with the heat pounding down on you, and the wagon can be assumed to be carrying supplies like water and such so that they don't have to weigh themselves down while running.

Since wagons are basically only available to the large organizations, by making it only function while they're following a wagon, it would ensure that this only has an effect on elves that are part of those organizations, without altering the theme of city elves themselves.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Suddenly it occurs to me that there are actually very few situations (to my knowledge at least) in which elves would be permitted to follow along a wagon (typically owned by rich humans) and especially store their stinky elf crap on board.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: Heade on April 16, 2019, 10:01:34 AM
I could get behind this as a wagon-only feature. I mean, walking/running along in the shadow of a wagon wouldn't be as bad as simply running along solo in the desert with the heat pounding down on you, and the wagon can be assumed to be carrying supplies like water and such so that they don't have to weigh themselves down while running.

Elves can use mounts to carry their heavy stuff too and just lead them along.

Are elves allowed climbing gear?
If so, are they allowed skis, or something similar?
In the circumstance they have to follow behind a wagon have them put on some shoes that allow them to run across the sands with greater ease while holding onto a rope that allows them to keep pace.
Is it time for a SURFING SAFARI?

A couple things:

Part of this hardship on c-elf travel was caused by the severing of the roadway between Allanak and Luirs.  C-elves didn't have near so difficult a time of it before every possible route north led through some of the gameworld's most hostile terrain.  That road north was haunted by gith, led to frequent inadvertent tumbles over the edge of the Shield Wall, but it was much more manageable by c-elves than anything we have now.

Second part: the comparatively recent decision by staff to change the OOC rules regarding elvish culture and their pride in running seems wrong-headed if it truly is as it is being described.  Elves wouldn't ride in wagons. They would not ever be passengers.

I disagree that elves wouldn't work on a moving wagon.  A paid elven guard is not riding.  He is being an awesome guard.  He almost certainly should prefer to run but he shouldn't be OOC barred from working.

Consider a d-elf warband.  They are permitted by culture to shoot all the arrows they want into a wagon, but the moment they board to capture it as a warprize, they would become shamed pariahs to their people?  They aren't boarding for a lazy weak-leg ride.  They are boarding to steal, murder and show their superiority.  Once the passengers are killed and the invading wagon is burned to the ground, they shouldn't  be expected to have commit seppuku.

I'm not advocating for elves to allowed to sit in the loading platform of a rolling wagon, dangling their feet and shooting the breeze.  I'm suggesting that a clanned elf assigned to guard a chest on a moving wagon shouldn't automatically be treated to OOC storage.

The current position from this version of staff as is being described by affected players probably needs to be clarified or re-evaluated.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

It's poorly designed culture. And even worse gameplay. And it feels like it was written poorly in order to patch some sort of gameplay element that it never really fixed.

I honestly can't believe we're still talking about it after ten years(that I've been around) of nearly everyone, except apparently staff, agreeing that it is shitty.

At least they stripped "wandering" out of the docs. Hah.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 17, 2019, 10:01:53 PM
I honestly can't believe we're still talking about it after ten years(that I've been around) of nearly everyone, except apparently staff, agreeing that it is shitty.

Its rather commonplace. The vocal majority on the boards, which isn't representative of ALL the players really, sees things one way. Influential Staffers A and B see things a different way. They don't feel the need to explain their position, we are players in THEIR game, and they don't want us pissing in their sandbox.

As much as Brokkr and I disagree about core things, that trend has shifted SLIGHTLY in that things do get explained.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.