Author Topic: My fantasy mercenaries serial is a year old this week and I never posted it here  (Read 404 times)

Fathi

Because I’m a dingus apparently? I don’t know, I could have sworn I did. But apparently not. Thanks Akaramu and Shabago for pointing out my error. :P

For the last year I’ve been writing Into the Mire, a serialised fantasy novel about a group of rag-tag mercenaries all hiding secrets from one another in a carnivorous hell-swamp.

It features an extremely bitching cover done by a reader:

And here’s the blurb:

In the first years following a brutal war, residents of the Deel Valley struggle to recover. They rebuild their homes, replant their crops, and attempt to reconcile the past they long for with the reality they’re stuck in.

Most of them seek, above all, a return to some semblance of “normal.”

Others seek profit and adventure.

Mercenary boss Riss Chou finds herself in prime position for both, summoned by the local Baron to work a job so dangerous his own men—including his heir—vanished at the scene.

Calay Maunet ran the streets of Vasile once, a charismatic lord of the slums—until he was betrayed, humiliated, and outed as a blood sorcerer. With his loyal bruiser Gaz, he flees Vasile and signs on as a medic with Riss’s team. The goal is to keep a low profile til the heat dies down. He can manage that, right?

Together with an ensemble cast, they are given one task: venture into a cursed swamp to find a missing noble. But the trees in this swamp aren’t sedate foliage—they are mobile, predatory, and consume everything they touch.

The marsh is dark and poorly mapped. The terrain swallows horses, so the journey must be made on foot. Deep in the muck, Riss and her company must brave a place where the rules of nature no longer apply.

Cool features not mentioned in the blurb: no-nonsense machete bitches, horse corpse beasts, period-accurate firearm difficulties, NZ and Australian megafauna, and the ~*power of friendship*~.

Armageddon was obviously a big influence and the game community has played a big part in getting the story off the ground (my editor is someone I met through Arm and my illustrator is my husband who I also met here).

Anyway, if you like Armageddon’s low-magic grittiness and copious backstabbing, I think you will find a lot to enjoy in this story. It’s completely free to read and I’ve just posted Chapter 56 of 65, so now is an excellent time to start reading since the end of Volume 1 is very nearly in sight. :)

If you’re curious what people who aren’t the author have to say about it, there are reviews on Den of Geek and WebFictionGuide.

You can read it on www.intothemire.com. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you do.

Anywho, dose of shameless self promotion over, I will now return to my regular schedule of occasional GDB shitposting.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Jihelu

I'm getting almost a Stalker-Vibe from this but that might be just me.

Fathi

I’m getting almost a Stalker-Vibe from this but that might be just me.

I will take this compliment and RUN OFF INTO THE NIGHT with it thank u sir

Akaramu

Yay! You made a post - finally!

Better late than never  8)

Voular

I am a proud patron of Into the Mire. Please support this cool piece of work by giving it a look!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Yam

I cannot believe you stole the true life plot of my heartwarming coming of age biopic/autobiography, "My Family, the Carnivorous Hell-Swamp", added some dinosaurs and a bitching cover, and sold it. I told you that all in confidence. I hope you make tons of money so I can parley this into some sort of hollow celebrity.

Veselka

Can we read on kindle somehow?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Fathi

I cannot believe you stole the true life plot of my heartwarming coming of age biopic/autobiography, “My Family, the Carnivorous Hell-Swamp”, added some dinosaurs and a bitching cover, and sold it. I told you that all in confidence. I hope you make tons of money so I can parley this into some sort of hollow celebrity.

You’ll be really mad when you get to the character named Yam McYammerson and all the detail I go into about his poor, deformed penis. :(

Can we read on kindle somehow?

Once the first book is finished I plan on popping epubs up on the site, yeah. Right now it’s browser-only because updating the epub files and redoing the TOC’s for every new chapter is a pain (I’m anal about ebook formatting and use special software to make it ~pretty).

I’m looking at possibly co-hosting it on Archive Of Our Own, which does epub-as-you-go downloads, but that comes with its own set of drawbacks, warrrgarbl.

I am a proud patron of Into the Mire. Please support this cool piece of work by giving it a look!

YOU ARE SO SWEET. :)

Feco

This is great stuff!  Great work!
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

azuriolinist

I LOVE Into the Mire!

I love the depth in every one of the characters. I also have to agree with one of the commenters when it comes to the way you transition into flashbacks. I often find myself tempted to skip past flashbacks in novels because the way they jostle into the flow of the story jars me, but yours are always impeccably timed.

lovelovelove.

Also, the cover's just amazingly creepy.

Fathi

I LOVE Into the Mire!

I love the depth in every one of the characters. I also have to agree with one of the commenters when it comes to the way you transition into flashbacks. I often find myself tempted to skip past flashbacks in novels because the way they jostle into the flow of the story jars me, but yours are always impeccably timed.

lovelovelove.

Also, the cover’s just amazingly creepy.

Ahhhhh that is so sweet of you to say. This means a lot coming from you since I’ve seen how you play your own characters. :P

Thanks so much for reading it!!! I feel weirdly exposed sharing it with Armers since so many of you are extremely high quality character roleplayers.

This is great stuff!  Great work!

… like you, also. Thanks, man. :D

Akaramu

I'm SO looking forward to reading this during my upcoming trip to London. Your serial blog doesn't require a lot of data to load, correct? There are no pictures apart from the cover? Because I have a limit of 100mb for a week... at least anywhere other than the hostel, where I'll be able to dive in using their free wifi.  8)

It's going to be like having Fathi along for the trip. Kind of, anyway.  ;)