People with lots of coins jingle audibly

Started by MeTekillot, April 01, 2019, 11:56:39 PM

If you have more than 500 coins altogether on containers and your person. Penalties to sneak and hide.

The fat, Nenyuki clerk is standing here.
- he jingles noisily when he moves.

Stiffer penalties and different jingling noises for every 500 coins up to 2000, for flexing purposes.

Coins weigh quite a bit in large amounts and encumbrance already penalizes these things.

And obsidian does not jingle.

Or click.  This is amusing.

Only downfall I can see is that thieves will be able to target people that click or clank or whatever more easily.  And yes, I see that this adds greater realism...modern day thieves may go for bulging wallets or high end purses.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

So long as it increases the likelihood of thieves getting caught lifting the coin, I'm down.

Quote from: PriestlySiren on April 02, 2019, 12:07:28 PM
So long as it increases the likelihood of thieves getting caught lifting the coin, I'm down.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I would think it should be the opposite. If you have 2000+ coins on you, you wouldn't notice as much if a few went missing, but if you have a smaller amount of coins, its gonna be pretty hard not to notice if they go missing.

Quote from: Shiguy2 on April 02, 2019, 01:46:34 PM
I would think it should be the opposite. If you have 2000+ coins on you, you wouldn't notice as much if a few went missing, but if you have a smaller amount of coins, its gonna be pretty hard not to notice if they go missing.

I agree, to a point. In a lot of circumstances, when someone is carrying around a large amount of coins, it's ICly either in a bag, or several bags. A thief would have a really hard time managing to get a handful of coins, from inside a bag, from inside of a backpack. I'm all for coins becoming easier or harder to steal depending on the circumstances, but there's IC things that need to be considered first.

As for the noise that having a large amount of coins would make, I feel like it should apply to heavily armored individuals, as well. Add a small line or something to their travel message if an individual is wearing 4+ pieces of what is classified as "heavy" armor. The coin movement description would have to be something which draws consideration to the fact that obsidian coins do not clink or rattle, they shift, slide and make shale-like noises. Adding descriptors for that in movement would probably add quite a lengthy line to movement messages- I think a better solution would be to further flesh out the travel emotes players can already do with "east (sauntering slowly) [fiddling with something in their pocket]", either by somehow working out how to include targeting objects, or giving players a command to set a default movement description (which would require staff oversight to look out for abusing such a thing).

Seems annoying.

For socializing, having anything less than 1000-2000, is an irritation. Buy a round, pay hunter/grebber, impromptu bribe, or other expenses, all necessitate having coin. No one wants to be the person, keeping everyone else waiting, because they have to run to the bank for every little thing.

I already find seeing EVERYONE sitting around, with one or two large bags in their inv, which they COMPLETELY refuse to acknowledge (I saw some tribal girls, doing intimate dancing, with THREE bags between them... how awkward!). I wouldn't want to add more visual spam, in the form of "jingle-jangles", for doubtful benefits.
"Mortals do drown so."

Quote from: Vex on April 02, 2019, 03:23:41 PM
I already find seeing EVERYONE sitting around, with one or two large bags in their inv, which they COMPLETELY refuse to acknowledge (I saw some tribal girls, doing intimate dancing, with THREE bags between them... how awkward!). I wouldn't want to add more visual spam, in the form of "jingle-jangles", for doubtful benefits.

In fairness, there are some places in game where if you drop something, an NPC will immediately pick it up and you can't interact with them without staff assistance. So, sometimes you have to suspend disbelief for a moment because that NPC didn't just sneak over to the stage and grab the bag you had on there. They just picked it up and won't return it.

I'd be more for an ability to notice maybe "they are carrying a large bag" and "the bag emits a soft clinking noise with movement" and let steal allow the attempt to steal the bag, but even on success you are crimflagged.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: PriestlySiren on April 02, 2019, 12:07:28 PM

This makes sense.

April 03, 2019, 08:03:29 AM #13 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:07:10 AM by only_plays_tribals
Carrying a lot of weight subjects it's own penalties, movement based ones from stealth, to stamina and the ability to defend yourself in a fight... and coins are heavy.

Coins as a system already require some suspension of belief making them literally jangle feels like it'd make that more jarring
(like who is counting 421 coins on the fly and just has that shit exact change style in a bag?)

If all the arrows, sling bullets, bone swords, daggers, beads, chitin plates, human teeth and shards of whatever I'm carrying don't jangle, I don't feel like coins should either.

Edit: Please don't take that to mean I want people in heavy armor / encumbered to start making noise. Please no..
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."