Favorite Clan

Started by Cind, March 30, 2019, 05:27:45 PM

I'm not sure what mine would be. Kadius? I've been in Kadius more than all the others combined, under different usernames. Second place in terms of time spent and characters put in is the Byn, then the Arm, then Oash, Oash being a total of twice. I was in Dasari once--- I simply didn't spend enough time in Tuluk to get in more than the once before they closed. However, I loved the Levies.

Kadius I think is my favorite and most suited to me, but the vibes of Salaar seem more my thing, although I've never actually been in.

I used to suffer from Losing my Nerve, that thing that many people do where they join a new clan, and immediately store. No longer, though, its been a few years since that's happened to me.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Byn. No hesitation.

That said I enjoy all the clans for different reasons and I really enjoy playing in all of them. The biggest thing to make a clan fun for me is activity level. If there are people to interact with I will enjoy it more than the solo experience.

March 30, 2019, 08:02:01 PM #2 Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:09:45 PM by Dresan
When I first started playing it was Kurac. Outriders were around, and even being a regular there just felt like being a badass anywhere they went. They tended to roam around a lot more solo back then.

Then it was kadius. Something about being a kadius hunter was just fun, so much freedom to do your own thing. Best time just sitting around the table telling stories with the other hunters. The overseer getting pissed because all we did was sit around and drink, never hunted. Good times. I liked Salarr too but just luck that I never got the same experiences as kadius i suppose.

I loved my time as legionnaire too, so many awesome experiences. It was always a favorite whenever I could dedicate some serious time to the game.

These days, I guess i like Byn now and then, unfortunately due to time constraints being indie is about as good as it gets.  A lot of my character were indie back when tuluk was around, but being indie is not the same experience as it was back then.

House Negean, hands down if you're an academic and you enjoy the culture and history of the game, that was the bomb.

Utep Sun Clan For Life.

Borsail Wyverns.

March 30, 2019, 08:12:07 PM #4 Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:41:13 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Aruven on March 30, 2019, 08:09:09 PM
Utep Sun Clan For Life.

Damn right. Of course that was mostly because of you. Your Templar/Sergeant made the clan so worth playing in.

Thank you, and its great to see you are still around :)

CIRCLE BARDS FOR LIFE, BROHEIM.

...then,
Tenneshi.
Northern branch of Kadius.

Uh. South ... umm. Uh...
...Hrm.

I'mma get back to you.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I like'm all.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Only been in two, Byn and Dust Runner.

Byn was fun, because there was a collection of different characters, all pressed into the same small area, with predictable results. You get mixed leaders, some good, some obviously meta-dickheads, and lots of newbies, which are always enjoyable. I'd do it again, though I'd scrutinize the leadership pcs a while, first.

Dust Runner was, in a sentence, a total mistake. I joined, was left solo due to the leaders (very reasonable) rl obligations, and... it remained dead for the duration of that 50+ days played pc, with no staff on deck, no new leaders, and every other clan harassing me (as well as staff animations from npcs, in those clans) to do "my job", when there had been zero instructions in what to do, how to do it, or the rules involved in doing it. I didn't even know, at the time, how to use the npc cook, so I spent like two months feeding myself, until I figured it out. Awful, neglected, unnecessary clan, that continues to remain either dead, or limping along with a foot in the grave. As a concept, it has potential, but in execution, it's a waste of time. It ended in my very nearly dropping the game. I've avoided clans ever since, as it was so awful, I almost quit the game. I do not recommend it to anyone, even if staff hand you a lolipop and promise you a hundred karmas. Worst arm experience. Avoid like pox.

I've always thought Oash looked interesting, but the potential of bbeing character locked into a clan, where you might end up with one of the awful leadership pcs, or none at all, always scares me off. At least in the Byn, you can just leave if you get stuck with some player whom you can't stand. Forever clanned, I don't know how people do it...
"Mortals do drown so."

A-O-fucking-D.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Kadius is the clan I come back to again and again.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

March 30, 2019, 11:12:32 PM #12 Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:35:40 AM by In Dreams
House Dasari!

And Fale!

I would say the GMH ones, when they had legit hunters.

Now that they only employ indy's.  I would probably go indy hunter and potentially darkmoon it up if super successful.

I've never had luck with the Byn, just a bunch of chores and getting killed on the first mission.

AoD I've never had success either, but would be interested in it.

AoD felt like a less active clan to me, although I'd only been in a few times, and a long time ago. It felt like the criminals that were around during my own playtimes (off-peak) were petty and unimportant, some random elf or half-elf that wanted to steal to eat or because the dagger was shiny. The Arm felt like it was always competing with the Byn for fresh recruits, and the Byn was always winning, except in times of war, which was not usually the case.

I understand that the Arm chased down big-time raiders and rogue witches and used witches also for this, with templars coming along for the ride, but that kind of stuff happened during peaktimes, which I was not available for. I was, however, at the battle where the volcano was dropped on the Tan Muark, although I wonder now if Tek was aiming for the northern forces. I was that fair-haired girl who would go into a bloodlusting trance during real fighting, and I remember licking the blood off my sword after killing one of the enemy.

Later on, when we were fleeing through the Red Desert, I remember >think Why do I taste blood?

My character was aware of this weird split personality of hers, and was very ashamed of it. Thoroughly, thoroughly patriotic, would have ended up in the Arm at some point anyway.

House Kadius, back when I wasn't always indie, usually had only one active merchant-leader, and this person determined the vibe of the player-driven part of the House, and thankfully both of the ones I spent the most time with weren't on a suicide mission, hellbent on taking the House with them.

I remember we did have political trouble for a while right before the black robe fight, but I wonder now if we weren't unique in this. I'm good with logic, and was able to piece together a lot from things I'd heard and seen prior to the fight. I actually sat down with a fellow Kadian and told her everything I'd learned and theorycrafted in a RL hour in cavilish. I think she probably emoted out nightmares afterwards.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

March 31, 2019, 08:08:46 AM #15 Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:21:40 AM by Dresan
I haven't played in the clan but I've interacted with it in a number of different ways in the past. Its is certainly on my list clans to join once I have the time to do a role in there justice.

If you are looking for PvE, the byn is where its at.

In my opinion, AoD is more about PvP [and sometimes PvE] from a political intrigue side, almost like a 1960s crime flick [Film Noir].

In my mind, the guys stealing daggers aren't real criminals, they aren't the scary villains. The scary villains are often the people are working for, and regardless of how patriotic your character might be, your character would probably understand this, and have a choice to make based on that on what their goals within AoD really are.

Imagine you learn an aide that is about to be killed by a rinther. Do you stop the crime? If you investigated further you'd find out the rinther was hired by someone. Maybe an aide from another noble. Do you report the aide? Is it worth it? What are you getting from that aide? Who is are your friends here? Maybe a better solution would be to talk to the rinther, and get a cut for looking the other way. Or talk to the aide from the other noble house and befriend them, offering to help with the aftermath for a few extra benefits. Their boss knows your boss after all, and they are good friends. You can certainly play it the straight and narrow, blocking crime and upholding justice but don't be surprised when its the petty criminals standing with your 'friends' laughing at your corpse.

Power, influence and all the corruption it brings at its very best.

Garrison I guess, in the last couple of years. CELF 4 LYFE THO.

The Guild or independent/player clan labyrinth related have always been my favorite. I like the freedom associated with them, they feel very much solo in that you can mind your own business and when there's opportunities to collaborate, they can be very interesting. In the more organized groups, you have the opportunity to interact with a very broad range of other characters and clans through alliances and conflict. The dreams of characters and leaders in those organizations have an entertaining range as well - some very much grounded in realism and desperation and others so far reaching and ambitious it makes you wonder how far run or deep a plot can go.

Second to that would be the AOD and for similar reasons. Interaction with a great deal of different clans and players as well as being privy to some interesting plots either directly or hearing superior officers complain/confide. Having a schedule can be beneficial as it naturally funnels players together and due to organizing so often, you can get the chance to bump into fellow soldiers and their schemes/problems.

Arm is definitely one of the more interesting clans to be in.

Often you'll get a clan leader in Kadius (perhaps the other GMHs) who went out of their way to keep their underlings from being randomly killed. In the Arm, though, the job of the clan members is to deal with trouble, perhaps to expect it. One of mine, a grey-haired young woman whose appearance was inspired by an early greyer in my own life, people thought she was a sorcerer, something I did -not- think about when writing her up. Then, after that, people thought she was a whiran. I don't think her fellow recruits and privates thought she was a sorcerer, but at least a couple thought she was a whiran. But--- the templar didn't believe so, so no one was outspoken about it.

The Arm is full of paranoid people who see foes in every shadow out of necessity. I'm sure if my character had lasted longer, she would have been killed by one of the privates or something.

Was a ranger/mercenary or something quite ordinary like that. I'm very good, somehow, at making people think I have some kind of fire/water dual witch when I'm really playing a dune trader/mercenary. Is it the words I use? I use expressive elemental words sometimes and I think that's how real rogues drop hints about themselves.

The Arm was absolutely packed at the time of the battle of Tyn Dashra.

I hate to admit it but I actually did like northern Kadius more than southern Kadius in many respects. Not all of them--- they don't have an Arena up there, for one thing, and I always had trouble trying to be subtle, although they usually forgave commoners for that. Often, I would just app a Luirswoman or Morin's girl so that I could be excused.

One day Tuluk should be reopened, if only for the sake of people being able to hang out and rp in the beautiful garden area of northern Kadius.

Being a part of House Dasari's experiments, even in a small way, was awesome as hell. Crazy scientists, indeed. The noble I worked for there was quite pleasant to us, but that was normal in Tuluk. That kind of outright pleasantness in the city was honestly a bit jarring to me, maybe its a cultural thing, I don't know. I understand that it was supposed to be a cover for the awful things underneath, but it usually felt genuine to me, which was confusing.

It's no surprise. I love the Byn and I love the AoD. My love fluctuates based on clan leaders. Third favorite? House Tor.

I had the privilege to play in the AoD with Torgun, Throm, Kitrix Borsail, Varnathius Tor and company. I got to be one of the Corporals during the last HRPT and really enjoyed that role. My girl Vana started as a Byn runner, then moved to the AoD. She was one of the first HRPT casualties though, due to player idiocy. I loved her though.

The AoD is the perfect clan to create trouble and make people feel not safe or enforce the status quo if you're smart about it as a player. There are moments of boom boom busy, and lulls that give you a chance to develop into 'more than a soldier'. It is also a great clan to be a 100% Allanaki hero in your own mind, while playing the villain in other people's stories. Lawful evil, ftw.

The Guild and anything out of Red Storm, for the same reasons as Rumor.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

If generic recruit #84 isn't suspected of being a mindworm or a sorcerer they're not the right recruit. In the AoD anyway.

I still think the old Amber Wyverns of Borsail are the best clan, but really all the shit they do could have been done by the Byn, even back in the day. The Academy is an honourable mention. Third is probably any of the GMH practical arms, which now also don't exist.

I think I've been in every possible Borsail role at least once over the years, so I can't say there's any other clan I enjoy more.

Wish my time was better structured to do more clan play as of late!  :'(

al'Seik tribe. Freedom to ranger yet it has a strong set of cultural docs to enjoy through personal development RP. I always find myself going back to that clan. I'll probably play it as my next PC in the near future. Always great.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on April 02, 2019, 09:17:24 AM
al'Seik tribe. Freedom to ranger yet it has a strong set of cultural docs to enjoy through personal development RP. I always find myself going back to that clan. I'll probably play it as my next PC in the near future. Always great.

I've never known much about human tribals and this made me request clan documentation because I love to Ranger