Weapon Skills - Piercing, Bludgeoning etc

Started by Cerelum, March 28, 2019, 12:22:02 AM

Oh okay. Well thanks for the clarification. My sleepy eyes must've TLDR'd that out. I was just assuming everyone wants to make it easier to skillgain via spars and the like. I'm against that.

Not being fun I get. Grinding is awful. There's like a week period to every new PC that I just don't interact with people while I get to a point of not dying to a passing Shik.

Quote from: th3kaiser on April 05, 2019, 11:26:07 AM
Oh okay. Well thanks for the clarification. My sleepy eyes must've TLDR'd that out. I was just assuming everyone wants to make it easier to skillgain via spars and the like. I'm against that.

Not being fun I get. Grinding is awful. There's like a week period to every new PC that I just don't interact with people while I get to a point of not dying to a passing Shik.

If I recall the transition to classes was supposed to get rid of this process.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

And it does.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I too take issue with the fact that one of the reasons you would choose a certain class is because it gets combat skills to master, but the likelihood of getting to that point without either luck or twinking is impossible. Why not just get rid of the top teir of combat type classes, give everyone a cap at advanced on those skills, and then shuffle the missing skills on down.

This suggestion isn't serious, but you may as well. What's the point of having a cap that realistically you will never reach?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

April 05, 2019, 10:16:37 PM #79 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:01:10 AM by Inks
It seems to work fine to me. Reached master on my first pc ever without much nonsense. It sounds like I am shilling the party line here but have never got this far weapon skill wise. (Have only got to advanced under old system, and one of those pcs was 80 days played). I feel like you used to have to jump through hoops to get it, with the best assassin I have ever played (the pointiest boi) having app weapon skills at 60 days played.

I think I would like to see some of the offensive bonus lowered from skills, especially if there any related to strength.  Again this will probably make fights to the death lengthier which is fine and mean more shield blocks and parries than dodges, but right now offense especially etwo-ing is nuts.

April 26, 2019, 04:37:25 PM #81 Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:40:52 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: Dresan on April 06, 2019, 05:35:48 PM
I think I would like to see some of the offensive bonus lowered from skills, especially if there any related to strength.  Again this will probably make fights to the death lengthier which is fine and mean more shield blocks and parries than dodges, but right now offense especially etwo-ing is nuts.

It's not really that offense is nuts...it's that defense is pretty nerfed for everyone except the top tier combat classes, and I dunno...I feel like more people are going for utility over tankiness.  Advanced parry by itself isn't that great.

Also...seems like critter-grinding is still better than sparring for training weapon skills, at least.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 26, 2019, 04:37:25 PM
It's not really that offense is nuts...it's that defense is pretty nerfed for everyone except the top tier combat classes, and I dunno...I feel like more people are going for utility over tankiness.  Advanced parry by itself isn't that great.

Yeah. It is not that advance parry skill is bad but rather the ability to make that level of parry good is probably very hard to achieve. It is harder for any class to train multiple weapon skills like in the past after all. This makes the weapon skill boosts the heavy classes get invaluable for defense.

Not sure if defense in general suffers from having no weapon knowledge anymore, I remember axes used to hurt my assassins a lot vs other weapons. That would be pretty great for miscreants and stalkers and the below squishy classes. Maybe staff could kindly confirm?

QuoteWeapon Skills                                                  (Melee Combat)

Weapon skills represent specialized knowledge in the use of a particular
class of weapons. All weapons fall into one of four general categories:
bludgeoning, chopping, piercing, and slashing. Stabbing weapons are merely
a subset of piercing ones.

If one possesses, for example, the 'chopping weapons' skill, then one's
usage of an axe is improved both in ability to land blows and to parry
those of others, the degree of improvement depending on one's level of
accomplishment in that skill.

Each category of weapon has its own characteristics, which should become
evident as your character becomes more familiar with its usage.