Crafting Classes and no Skinning!

Started by boog, March 16, 2019, 08:39:00 PM

March 16, 2019, 08:39:00 PM Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:41:11 PM by boog
Hey, staff. It would be super helpful to have the crafting classes have skinning, even at low caps. It's sort of essential in order to break down piles of bones and other 'assembled' groups of bits. As it stands, craftsperson, pilferer, fence, and artisan do not have this capability. Only dune trader and adventurer do and I feel that's a huge oversight. Honestly, everyone should be able to break a pile of bones down, imho, but... if this could be looked into, that'd be really helpful. :)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Or include the broken down material recipes to be incorporated into another skill.  Like taking blocks to head/hand chunks, make them stoneworking instead of skinning?  Agree, entirely.

I'd completely forgotten that was a thing.  :-[
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Furious George on March 16, 2019, 08:49:34 PM
Or include the broken down material recipes to be incorporated into another skill.  Like taking blocks to head/hand chunks, make them stoneworking instead of skinning?  Agree, entirely.
Those are foraging and not skinning - I think most of the classes have foraging at some level. Don't quote me on this.

If you use a skinning knife your chances of skinning is better.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: PriestlySiren on March 16, 2019, 08:59:14 PM
Quote from: Furious George on March 16, 2019, 08:49:34 PM
Those are foraging and not skinning - I think most of the classes have foraging at some level. Don't quote me on this.

Sorry, that's what I was meaning to say.  Like the way foraging covers breaking down some smaller stones.

Quote from: mansa on March 16, 2019, 09:02:12 PM

Even if you don't have the skill at all?
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on March 16, 2019, 09:30:13 PM

Yes!  Same with how you can climb better with +climb gear even if you don't have the skill.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I am against giving out a skill, change the craft to cooking, which everybody has or forage like many other things are.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: mansa on March 16, 2019, 09:39:08 PM

Yes!  Same with how you can climb better with +climb gear even if you don't have the skill.

You can also ep/es skinning knives and get commensurate bonuses in both hands if you really wanna give plausibility the middle fingerroleplay as a hibachi chef~  ;D

There has been a cooking craft added to these piles of bones to make anyone able to separate them.

Quote from: rinthrat on March 16, 2019, 11:11:19 PM
There has been a cooking craft added to these piles of bones to make anyone able to separate them.
To some of these bones, but not all.

Quote from: mansa on March 16, 2019, 09:39:08 PM

This didn't work when I tried today. :/
There is only one boog.

Let me know specific items in a request if you think there is an oversight.

Not adding skinning wasn't an oversight, by the way, it was a specific way in making them reliant on others.  I intentionally did not give it to them.

I did add a couple of recipes a few months back, as cooking.  They aren't as good as the skinning ones, in that they don't give all the things the skinning ones do (intentionally), but do allow someone to get something.

Sure, okay! Here or in a request? :)

And I get the need to rely upon other characters/classes/etc -- you know I'm a fan of that!
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Brokkr on March 17, 2019, 11:41:21 PM
Not adding skinning wasn't an oversight, by the way, it was a specific way in making them reliant on others.  I intentionally did not give it to them.

I sort of thought so.

You'd need to plan your character carefully if you wanted to both be a merchant and be self-reliant, because that's the way the world seems to work with regards to that.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on March 19, 2019, 04:15:56 AM

I sort of thought so.

You'd need to plan your character carefully if you wanted to both be a merchant and be self-reliant, because that's the way the world seems to work with regards to that.
Well, I don't think this is too big of an issue. If you want to sit inside all day and craft stuff you're going to need hunters/grebbers/whatever to bring you goodies. Whats one more contact on a list of several?

While I understand that it's by design to not have skin on certain classes.

I do wish that things like separating legs and bone piles was something anyone could do, maybe work off something like cooking or some such.

I've always thought that skin makes more sense to think of knowing how to dress a dead thing, and cooking makes sense knowing how to butcher it.

Because for instance I could kill a chalton and get lucky and skin the bones out, but then be unable to do anything with it.

I do want to have player interaction, but it's almost a bother to hunt down a rangery type character simply to separate some bones or legs.

Quote from: Cerelum on March 22, 2019, 07:48:17 PM

I do wish that things like separating legs and bone piles was something anyone could do, maybe work off something like cooking or some such.

I do want to have player interaction, but it's almost a bother to hunt down a rangery type character simply to separate some bones or legs.

See

Quote from: mansa on March 22, 2019, 08:37:18 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on March 22, 2019, 07:48:17 PM

See

Well shit, guess I should read all the posts.