Desert elf changes discussion

Started by Shabago, February 26, 2019, 12:31:50 AM

Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Happy to see a new tribe in for play and to experiment with (both playing in and around).

I admit I'm a teensy bit sad to see an antagonist tribe like the SLK close up, but the SLK were always awkward to me (Hell, the Sun Runners are a bit awkward to me). I guess to put it mildly, they always seem to be in their own sandbox -- Over there -- And interactions with them were always like "Why are you in my sandbox".

Honestly, the perfect antagonists were the Red Fang, but they're long gone. I was half expecting to see them come back, from Shalooonsh's post, but this sounds a bit different and focused towards interaction. Interested to see where it leads.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

While I've never played in Soh Lanah Kah, I took a look through their documentation and I loved the concept behind them. I agree with Veselka, though. There seemed to be little in the way of playability and interaction for the SLK outside of their own tribe and area.

I love the look of the new tribe, and I can't wait to see how they play out in-game. More desert interactions!

I love the general idea of this, and how it spreads the game world. There's active "still playable in the foreseeable future" tribal clans around the Tablelands area. There's one closer to the city. There are others in the city, and there's Luir's Outpost, aka "generic tribe central." It gives players of city folks more of a chance to run into tribals and get more of a feel that there really is a populated world beyond the city walls. And it gives the different tribes (of different races or the same) more of a chance and IC reason to wander about. The isolationist SLK was fun, if you were into isolationist RP but the dedicated genre of that clan severely limited it for anyone who wasn't into that very narrowly defined niche (which would mean - the vast majority of the playerbase).

Hopefully this opens things up more and we'll see more of those smelly skinny long-ears tramping their way through the dunes.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Shaloonsh is a sharp guy.

Pretty sure whatever he's cooked up with the new tribe it will be cool.

The SLK being closed is bittersweet, but I do acknowledge that it's tough to be isolationist out there esp. with Tuluk being gated down.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

All these changes to Arm are making it really hard to only have like 5 minutes of free time a week :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Lizzie on February 26, 2019, 09:13:22 AM
I love the general idea of this, and how it spreads the game world. There's active "still playable in the foreseeable future" tribal clans around the Tablelands area. There's one closer to the city. There are others in the city, and there's Luir's Outpost, aka "generic tribe central." It gives players of city folks more of a chance to run into tribals and get more of a feel that there really is a populated world beyond the city walls. And it gives the different tribes (of different races or the same) more of a chance and IC reason to wander about. The isolationist SLK was fun, if you were into isolationist RP but the dedicated genre of that clan severely limited it for anyone who wasn't into that very narrowly defined niche (which would mean - the vast majority of the playerbase).

Hopefully this opens things up more and we'll see more of those smelly skinny long-ears tramping their way through the dunes.

This was the feeling I always got from SLK and Sun Runners, though at least the Sun Runners have trade/reasons to come to Luirs and not just shoot on sight. It would be different if the Blackwing Outpost were in a more central location, but it's very far off the beaten path, and there's no reason to go there unless you are a desert elf.

When Tuluk was around, I think the Sun Runners had more of a intertwined tribal presence, they even had a Foreign Exchange Program with the Akai Sjir. But I think this is a further step towards consolidation, to at least press various factions up against one another rather than spreading them very far apart. If for instance some calamity forced the SLK and Sun Runners to abandon the tablelands and move next to Allanak, and you had three of these tribes smashed up against the gates of Allanak, well...That creates friction, and friction creates plots. So to have even one tribe such as this I think is a good step forward.

--Immanuel Kant

I love the concept, which looks like it will encourage a lot of interaction and interesting encounters. I also like that they're geographically closer to the main population hub.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

So far, I am not feeling it...Now true, the blurb in the public help files tell you very little. But from what I have to go on, Well, delf Sherpa? They satisfy the elf need to steal and swindle through charging extra to save somebody? And even worse, people actually trust them for some reason more then other elves? And I hope the tribal docs have more in them to why somebody would play that tribe then what we see publicly.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Out of curiosity. What things would you like to see in the docs to make it more appealing to play for you, X-D?

Are you thinking more Culture stuff? Or something else?

Honestly I find the Tribe appealing just because of it's closeness to Allanak, and its open willingness to deal with outsiders.

Not all tribes can be bloodthirsty raiders, because, well, not all tribes are bloodthirsty raiders.  Contrary, perhaps, to popular opinion.

February 26, 2019, 08:11:08 PM #11 Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:13:38 PM by X-D
A bit more culture and a lot more ELF, as it sits, it seems to me no different then any human tribe. And I don't like how close they are to nak, under the thumb of the templarate...rinth elves have more safety and freedom. They are desert elves after all, they don't need to be ten steps away to be close.

As it sits, from the little the docs state and what staff has said, there seems less "point" to play them then any of the other human or elf tribes.

What is our purpose, collect shit for the tribe and don't rock the boat. Anything else? Nope.

Keep in mind, I have not seen the docs, they might very well be the tan muark of elves...which might actually be cool...aside from being under the nakki thumb...I am against that.

And who said anything about bloodthirsty raiders Brokkr. Hell, I'd be happy with a modified silt winds...still, not under the thumb of the Templars though.

(Tan muark should have been delves from the get go.)
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If you aren't in the Tablelands, deep Red or somewhere equally remote, you are probably under someone's thumb.  Or at least their pinky.  Some Desert Elf tribes are wild and free.  Some are wild and free but have to take consequences to the tribe into account because of more powerful neighbors (like old ATV), or when traveling (like Sun Runners...ideally).

Of all the bloodthirsty raider tribes, I'd say Red Fang were the only real 'bloodthirsty raiders' that I ever encountered. Even SLK are pretty measured if you aren't on their turf, and Sun Runners, etc. I think raiders have their motivations, desert elf or not.

--Immanuel Kant

I do like that, Not ISO, not too xenophobic.

I do think they have potential...don't think I am being totally negative here.

Lizzie:

I'm pretty stoked.  I like that there are finally some real tribals in there where that tribal camp used to be.  I like that there is plenty of opportunity for socialization, elf-style.  I like the idea of profiteering off the otherwise dying.  I like the idea of seeing more elves in Allanak.

The only thing that disappointed me was that when I first read the thread I missed the "desert elf" part until I clicked through to the helpfile, and I thought this was a city elf clan.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Heh, I thought this was a change to elves as a whole as well.

Hopefully it'll bring some much needed love to c-elves in the form of interactions or dealings though  :'(

All in all, I also think its a good direction and addition in general. After all I thought the sun runners had a good thing going around luirs (and Tuluk when it was around).

I'm looking forward to seeing what interesting things/interactions this tribe is able to bring.

Happy to hear, SLK has been closed. I never found them to be, especially, appealing. Interacting with them, tended to be ridiculous, if they were even willing to interact at all.

Hopefully, this will give more exposure to elvish personality options, other than "suicidal kleptomaniac" and "I attack you now because elf reasons", which are sadly, overly common, lately.

Won't lie, though. When I read the "desert elf changes" title, I really hoped, it was something like, "can now make non-tribe locked delves", because free roaming elves, are my favorite.
"Mortals do drown so."

Quote from: Vex on March 25, 2019, 01:25:57 AM
Won't lie, though. When I read the "desert elf changes" title, I really hoped, it was something like, "can now make non-tribe locked delves", because free roaming elves, are my favorite.

This. Please bring it back.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I've had some successes with Desert Elves, and some horribly bad played ones as well.

I think that they should honestly be a higher Karma than they are because of their ability to run across half the known world and rest anywhere if they are an outdoorsy type.

Not to mention the standard they seem to be held to, such as territory, solo rp which is sometimes unavoidable and all that, seems much harder than playing a gemmed mage for instance.

Granted, they don't have a cast mon you're dead spell, but given time with poisons, hide and wilderness sneak etc, they are deadly as they come.

As a slight aside, that's always been my issue with ranger type characters who aren't D-Elves, great I branched wilderness hide and sneak, but I ride a mount everywhere, so that's pointless.

So yeah, if they had non-region locked D-elves, I'd be down in a minute.

The only reason I don't wholeheartedly support lone d-elves is because of hide/sneak invisibility cloaks and my already terrible experiences with some d-elf players code-twinkery wise.

Desert elves are too powerful of a race to be unbound from documented limitations; example: premade tribal docs/locations.

City elves are even inherently limited in where they realistically live and travel and they are nowhere near the level of d-elves.

As much fun as it'd be.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 25, 2019, 08:48:51 AM
The only reason I don't wholeheartedly support lone d-elves is because of hide/sneak invisibility cloaks and my already terrible experiences with some d-elf players code-twinkery wise.

Well outside of Whirans, if anyone had an invisibility cloak it's gonna be a d-elf.

Pretty funny, Also, human, celf, half-elf...my current PC.
Lizzie:

My gripe, is they are a delf clan that is not open.  All are closed to work a character in, except sunrunners and this, pseudo open clan.
I miss delf options to play.  No point in the karma option if all clans are closed for "your" concept.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean