A Gentle Reminder:

Started by boog, February 22, 2019, 04:08:42 PM

Please be patient when entering a scene or even engaging. Some players are slow typists, have arthritis, or are blind  and thus use voice to text conversion software which takes some time to convert.

Let's all work together to create vivid scenes and imagery, and to be patient with one another when in the midst of RP.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

February 22, 2019, 04:14:51 PM #1 Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:19:34 PM by Aruven
NO RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY OR ENGAGE COMBAT WITHOUT EMOTES NOW !!!!!!!

Quote from: boog on February 22, 2019, 04:08:42 PM
Please be patient when entering a scene or even engaging. Some players are slow typists, have arthritis, or are blind  and thus use voice to text conversion software which takes some time to convert.

Let's all work together to create vivid scenes and imagery, and to be patient with one another when in the midst of RP.

I admit to becoming impatient. That's my ADD and OCD though. I'm never late for anything, ever, as a result. And I can't stand when anyone else is late either. It's not something I can control so please excuse me if I get impatient with y'all.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

if you're alt-tabbing to another screen when someone is trying to RP with you, have the courtesy to not maximize your other screen. Have the bottom of your game window visible at the bottom of your monitor, so you can see when there's something scrolling up (which would indicate something happening in the game that you might need to respond to).

It goes both ways. I try to be patient with people who delay responses. And y'all need to try to respond efficiently.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I mean, if it's an exorbitant wait, of course you should disengage.  But... I think giving a minute or two for a response is okay. We should be more patient with one another.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Courtesy.

If someone is achingly slow in responding, it might be because they are goofing off in another game and being a jerk.  Or it might be because their toddler has just spilt their juice cup for the fifth time that evening.  It might be because they are doing the best that they can or are even trying a "think" or "feel" emote.

It's fine to have a shorter exchange because of any of that.  It is probably fine to go ahead with whatever action you were going to do in the first place, too, if that fits.  If your plan was to leap out from behind a midden heap and crack them behind the ear and to steal their pantaloons you shouldn't change your plans.

What is kind of lame is when you change your plans because another player's response time is slower.  You planned to jump out and mug them, but because their emotes take more a minute to complete, you decide to murder them instead.  Your noble decided to visit in public and receive accolades, but because a player didn't see you coming and picked that moment to get a glass of milk, you decide that their too-slow bowing has earned them your sponsored role's eternal, implacable ire. 

I am not a fast typer.  It feels like I get bullied sometimes just because a Joe LightningFingers insists on controlling a scene and they feel smugly justified in doing so.  They are missing out.

Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I typically wait to exchange emotes/dialogue...At least that was the etiquette I grew up with on MUDs.

If it's someone who takes an incredibly long time, I usually give the benefit of the doubt and wait for them to respond, or find an excuse to duck out early if I have to log out or have other things to do.

I play from work a lot which I probably shouldn't, because I have to go AFK for 5-10 minutes sometimes without warning. I try to give ample warning and not put myself in situations where I'll be needed when I'm on at work. I fail sometimes. :(

I'm usually a very quick typer/outputter, but I don't try to dominate by rapid firing stuff. I will typically Hemote and use thinks/feels to stay engaged.

I agree we should be more patient with one another. Other MUDs have player info that other players can access, that includes things like 'visually impaired, slow typer' and other things that can be very helpful. But Arm doesn't strike me as the kind of place to have that sort of thing.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Seeker on February 22, 2019, 06:13:58 PM
<stuff and things>
I am not a fast typer.  It feels like I get bullied sometimes just because a Joe LightningFingers insists on controlling a scene and they feel smugly justified in doing so.  They are missing out.

If you're dismissing possible interactions with Seeker because some wpm quota is not being met or because you don't want to bother being a little patient, you're absolutely missing out.

I type fast but it's ADHD. Sorry.

What Seeker beautifully said.
There is only one boog.

If I became impatient with slow typers none of my characters would ever have sex. I'm typing 3-6 more emotes than the other people involved.  I like to show common courtesy.  You never know if the other person is visually impaired or, you know, lagging/candy crushing/walking the dog/cooking dinner/at work/changing a diaper/taking care of a customer/spanking the monkey. Whatever. 

Do it for the mudsexers, fam, it's how 3/4s of us end up in relationships.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Thank you for this! I try to be considerate to the player on the other side of the screen, but it can be easy to forget. A reminder like this helps a lot. I tend to be a hesitant and slow typer myself and I've never encountered anything but patience and, at most, a bit of confusion from other players who are no doubt wondering whether or not I'm still there.

A to the fricken MEN! I've been waiting for a post like this, always hurts seeing this play out even when you're viewing this sort of thing as the third-party.

My available typing hours are between the time that my squadron dies in Apex Legends and the time I get into a new one when I'm in the lobby. Please type faster!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on February 23, 2019, 09:51:13 AM
My available typing hours are between the time that my squadron dies in Apex Legends and the time I get into a new one when I'm in the lobby. Please type faster!
Stop pudwackin' around with other, meaningless, souless shoot em up games on Arm time ffs!
You're RUINING it!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I'm going to have to play Looonsh's Advocate here.

Yes, DO give time when you are stepping into a scene, because other people sometimes need to cook up a 'reaction shot' to how they are dealing with your Joe Raider who just wandered into their wastelands lurve tent.  Sometimes they want to give you a heads up via emote as to why Aide Tressy McBuxstress is splayed out on the ground like that.  And naturally, if you're a noble or a Templar, let 'em bow first.  Some courtesy upon entering a scene is just good player etiquette and should always be looked out for.

However, I, as well as several other players, are fans of quick fire social interactions.  If you are wanting to do something other than wait around for 2 minutes for your responses, only to get a "The rugged, soul-crushingly-handsome hunter nods and sips at his beer" then you are 5000% within your right to fuck off and go get that faster interaction somewhere else. 

There are some players, Seeker among them, that have the crazy levels of immersive emoting that suck you in.  They have a gravitas that, once you step in to the room, you sure as hell aint getting out without having some awesome splashed on you.  You will find yourself not caring about the wait time because you are glued to your screen, hungry for more. 

But if you find yourself filing your fingernails, possibly growing pissed off because someone is taking a long time, then by all means ramble on to the next bar, and find someone who isn't playing CandyCrush or pre-writing erotica lines for their next 'meeting' or changing a diaper. 

Some of us fast movers don't always have the time to wait.  Some of us need to get our interaction on because we have something to do IRL in a half hour, and spending 15 mins of that waiting for another nod and a sip just doesn't cut it.

If you're on, there is a reasonable expectation that you should be focused on the game and doing what you can to provide quality roleplay.  Your toddler spits up on you?  OOC it.  Let the player know "ooc RL issues, I need 5 mins" so they aren't waiting around and can, very understandably, drop a "hey you know what, I've got this errand I need to run" and then go boogie out for greener pastures.

Play Armageddon at your own speed, but be considerate. 
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

^ ^

What he said.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 26, 2019, 10:07:27 AM #16 Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:14:15 AM by boog
I have very rarely run into instances where people take 5 minutes between emotes that could be scribbled up in 5 seconds without notification of some sort of OOC distractions. Obviously, if someone is not giving the time for you, your play, or a scene and is halfhearted about it, then I would not wish for anyone to remain around; we are playing this game to play together, not to be ignored for Candy Crush.

My post is more about allowing people the chance to respond before rushing off, or taking IC measures due to what might be a long reply time for a variety of factors such as slow typing, florid prose, or speech-to-text conversion software.

I think people tend to be more considerate and are paying attention to the game. I just want to be able to fully represent myself without feeling like I must rush before someone speed walks through in game or decides to somehow reprimand my character because I took an extra twenty seconds to ensure I had no typos in my emote. :(
There is only one boog.

I have literally spent entire nights at the Gaj, waiting for that person's response, because a question was posed... only for them to just stand;n;e;e;ee;e;ee;e;e;e;e; away as soon as dawn hits. Previously, they were active and engaging.

I used to say "Oh, well, maybe they got fed up and they are just ignoring me, and not even conjuring up energy to emote ignoring me... it happens."

If I logged in and that happened again? I would 100% not interact with that person again. 3-5 minutes between typing is.. acceptable if you're really putting heart into the character. 10 minutes is wasting my time.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've never thought of myself as a slow typist, but holy cow, compared to some of you I am!  What I am is a slow responder I think.  I read what you've done, consider how my PC would feel about that, and try to concoct an emote or response that displays that.  I feel a little self-conscious about how long that takes so I'm often not a great emoter.  I do appreciate the blitzkrieg players who give me time to do it!

What's unpleasant is when they just keep typing and by the time I get my response to the first thing out, it's no longer valid so I have to start on the second response ... and so on.  I'm always behind and my only choice is no emotes at all.  I'm not talking minutes here, but sometimes I need a few seconds.

**Walks into a room.

**May or may not emote or say anything

**Waits around approximately 20-30 seconds so that people likely begin to type

**Walks away

You know who you are.

Or, or one of my pet peeves. Flouncing out of a scene before someone can respond, so that your PC can have the last word. Don't do that. Play up those tense encounters and give other people a chance to set the scene, even if it's only "stares open-mouthed after ~yourpc" because otherwise, you're grandstanding instead of creating a scene.

In general, yes, please be patient and remember that this is supposed to be a collaborative experience.

Sometimes even normally fast-on-their-feet typists are sick, or tired, or distracted by their cat suddenly knocking over a glass of water...

What about that guy that walks three rooms over to you just to see your mdesc but then turns around and leaves the room before you can even type a reply?

Can we add him to the list?

Quote from: tapas on March 02, 2019, 06:31:03 PM
What about that guy that walks three rooms over to you just to see your mdesc but then turns around and leaves the room before you can even type a reply?

Can we add him to the list?

I am that guy sometimes, but I always wave or something and give a few seconds for a passing 'hello'. Swear.

March 06, 2019, 09:35:03 AM #23 Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:36:35 AM by Harmless
Quote from: Delirium on March 02, 2019, 05:29:02 PM
Or, or one of my pet peeves. Flouncing out of a scene before someone can respond, so that your PC can have the last word. Don't do that. Play up those tense encounters and give other people a chance to set the scene, even if it's only "stares open-mouthed after ~yourpc" because otherwise, you're grandstanding instead of creating a scene.

In general, yes, please be patient and remember that this is supposed to be a collaborative experience.

Sometimes even normally fast-on-their-feet typists are sick, or tired, or distracted by their cat suddenly knocking over a glass of water...

Though I agree patience is good, and letting people respond to your actions is key, there are some times where it makes IC sense or there's an OOC need to bug out of a scene.

Maybe I need to bug out because my fucking cat is ABOUT to destroy something in another room, so I need to just end the scene so I can quickly log off (maybe I already used quit ooc somewhere and I need to walk away to quit)

Sometimes, my character doesn't feel like waiting for your response; my character will then have to face the consequences of miffing someone. I will usually try to do the sudden IC exit after it feels like the scene has evolved for a while and I usually send warnings/cues that my character intends to go. "Emote begins to turn away, but casts a glance back at ~amos"

If I am doing this, I would understand if other characters reacted with, "Well, they were in a rush." Take my character's actions however you will - but RL takes precedent which goes both ways. Sometimes I can't wait for your response.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Just a reminder to everyone, if something is going on ooc you can use the gone command
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.