Author Topic: Social Skills?  (Read 591 times)

perfecto

Social Skills?
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
Just a thought here gang, but what if there was a "Social" skill in all of our skill lists that started at Novice with every new character? 

A skill that can only be raised or lowered by the imms as they watch us play?

Doesn't mean you need to have ten best friends or lead a crusade to vanquish every defiler in the known.. you might have a sweet pet rock, or a penchant for leaving stale bread for the beggars.

The point of it would be that we (as players) could see if what we're doing is considered positive or negative roleplay, regardless of being part of a clan or immersed in society at all.

Thoughts? (lifts his hands in defense as stones are being picked up to be thrown)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Renenutet

• Storyteller
Re: Social Skills?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:59 AM »
Weighing in here as an individual and not as a reflection of staff as a whole, who may or may not agree with me.
I think the social skill is measured by the way the pc world reacts to your pc. Are they reacting as intended? Then you've mastered it. If not maybe you need to twink your social skills.

I know that doesn't really address what you're asking for, but I think it makes more sense that social skills not be hard coded.

As for feedback, if you would like feedback, reach out to us. We're happy to talk with you.
 (She said without consulting any of the other staff.)
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

ShaLeah

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
A social skill that is raised by staff? That's called karma.

True social skills lie within the player and his/her knowledge of the game world and the appropriate application of such within their character.  This cannot be measured with each character unless you start every character dumb and socially inept. 
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

cnemus

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:43:24 PM »
As for feedback, if you would like feedback, reach out to us. We're happy to talk with you.

As I understand it, Character Reports are not required unless you are a leader or involved in plots, but I have used them regardless primarily for this purpose. Staff have generally been very helpful about answering questions regarding appropriate roleplay. Question requests are another option.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Armageddon isn't about closure.  It's about Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal.  It's about Mystery, it's about Passion, it's about Brutality.

John

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »

As I understand it, Character Reports are not required unless you are a leader or involved in plots, but I have used them regardless primarily for this purpose. Staff have generally been very helpful about answering questions regarding appropriate roleplay. Question requests are another option.
They're not required, but there is a template for not-leaders to use. I typically send mine in monthly and try to keep them high level. I typically ask any questions at the end, and will either say "I need staff to do Y so I can do X" or "I do not need any staff assistance to pursue this character's plots/plans.

Cind

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:40 AM »
Eh, nah. When you have a character that gets really involved with the vnpc world by the time you're on your fourth character you should be able to understand what's appropriate or not, i.e. no powergamey emotes for example. Part of getting karma is that staff sees that you can be given responsibility and not burn the OOC playerbase to a crisp in the name of Frosted Flakes, but rather the IC world in the name of your Drovian demon-god. Maybe I should re-read it, but the point of this skill seems to me to be a way to show staff you can interact well with the world, and LOTS of players who can do that don't have any karma, or have gotten one in five-ish years. Honestly? There isn't much more to player above the karma gate than there already is below it. Most of the meat and potatoes of the game is free. The only other role that generally isn't is your templar's, which is a nonkarmic rolecall, or the nilazi/mindworm/sorcerer who is trying to take as many of the Arm down with them as possible. To me, that's all that's needed for an epic story involving lots of people, followed by an RPT in which a lot of them admittedly die. Hell--- I've seen a guy people believed was a rogue start some shit one time and take lots of people with him, but I think he was actually a ranger.
Playing something new could be just what you need!