Author Topic: The Epitome Character  (Read 684 times)

BrokenRomance

The Epitome Character
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »
I think other people might have ran into the issue I've been having. I haven't played on Armageddon in nearly two years, and not for lack of wanting to. I've just been struggling to get back into the game after I played what was my funnest, best character ever. I keep thinking I'll never be able to pull that off again and get back into the game.

Any suggestions for overcoming this of some kind? Also did I post this in the right place, it has been ages...
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Veselka

Re: The Epitome Character
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
Honestly, just don't be afraid of either storing a concept that doesn't fit right, or dying stupidly in a hunting accident. I sometimes churn through 5 or 6 PCs before I find one where I feel the urge to log in more than once every few weeks.

My other suggestion is not to make a high concept PC with lots of goals and ideas about how they should fit into the world. My best successes come from being a blank slate, absorbing what is going on in the game, and reacting to it, forcing my PC to morph with the goings on.

My other suggestion is not to play a Magicker, at least, not when you're trying to get back into the game. It can be an alienating experience where you feel like isolating yourself, while to me, injecting more PC to PC interaction can sometimes be enough to pull me back in.

To address your 'epitome character' more directly -- You will always feel you have played the epitome character, until your next epitome character. Sometimes when you play your epitome character, you realize that it's actually rather dull and there's a fear that you'll never reach that peak again. Whether it be a leadership PC, or a skilled combatant, or a well connected aide. I would say overcoming that fear or reluctance is what makes the game great -- taking the risk in starting over, and seeing if the next story is your next peak to best.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:11:51 PM by Veselka »
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

MeTekillot

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
Play a bad guy. Be a mugger. Train your skills by jumping motherfuckers as they walk out of the Gaj. You'll die to soldier NPCs until you learn to dodge them. And then you'll die anyway. But you'll have fun.
we are here to hack motherfuckers up with bone swords,

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I think other people might have ran into the issue I've been having. I haven't played on Armageddon in nearly two years, and not for lack of wanting to. I've just been struggling to get back into the game after I played what was my funnest, best character ever. I keep thinking I'll never be able to pull that off again and get back into the game.

Any suggestions for overcoming this of some kind? Also did I post this in the right place, it has been ages...
This happens. It happened to me. And I took some time off. I walked away from the game for a while. When I came back, I just rolled a concept and played, and it took a while to settle into whatever my new guy was. And eventually, it fell into place.

So my advice is fake it till you make it. Because eventually you will make it. And it'll be for new reasons.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

azuriolinist

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
+1 to what others have said before me.

One thing that's always really made a character click for me is the people around them, and the interactions we share. Take some time to delve into your PC and develop relationships with other PCs. It's the interactions, back-and-forth, and the chance to tell stories with my fellow awesome players that, in the end, really has me enjoying my role.

Cind

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:33:40 AM »
While you're thinking about it, I think rolling up a temporary miscreant that you -know- is going to die is going to be really fun.

That's part of the beauty of playing a c-elf for me. I don't -need- to explain why I'm playing someone that fucked up. Elves forever.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

ShaLeah

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
1) Try the opposite of your norm.
2) Gender bend if you haven't.
3) Play a reallllllly old crotchety fuck of a storyteller.
4) Play Santa Claus.
5) Play Robin Hood.
6) Apothecary borsaily dorf. Focus to create a mul with hair.
7) Find someone cool and be a side kick.
8) Create a serial killer that gets triggered by some obscure piece of clothing or jewelry or a tattoo or a phrase.  Wait patiently till you come across it.

Seriously though? I'm jealous.  I've never had what felt like an epitome character.  Plenty I've enjoyed but nobe that have been like wow that bitch was awesome, I'll never get that lucky again.

I'm thinking you're more likely than not to experience that again. Until then, be whatever strikes your fancy.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »
A big suggestion here seems to become a criminal for a bit... I actually had a similar concept but never got off the ground with it. I'll maybe try a few of these ideas and see if I can get a running start and dive head-first into an ocean of enjoyment.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

PriestlySiren

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »
Iíve had a lot of colorful, unique characters over the years. The big thing when I lost my first big one was finding a concept that was drastically different but that still engaged me.

IR. Playing an aide with the merchant class to playing a rough and tumble tribal refugee. Or playing a Bynner then playing a bard.

Rumor

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
What has worked for me in the past is playing a character archetype that my previous characters relied on and I felt were missing from my experience. A hunter, a spice runner, an aide or a AOD soldier - whatever it was at the time that I felt like, "man, I wish there was [this] aspect fleshed out, then I could have [that] going on." When I get killed or store, I normally end up playing whatever support related character type I wish was around more when I played before. And with that new character, I would try and provide what it was I was hoping to get from others.

You might get to experience things from new perspectives, play in different player groups and get interactions that may have otherwise been cut off to you for one reason or another because you're approaching the game from different angles.

I do this until I get that true spark you're referring to. Where you're like, "I can really put something into the game with this character." Staring at a blank notepad is rarely inspiring. Playing characters, even ones you're not invested in, can help you find inspiration, hone your roleplaying and open up new and interesting experiences.

deskoft

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
I have always concepts I want to explore. The gameworld is full of secrets and aspects that I have yet explored. The world has endless personalities you can reap into and toss into Zalanthas. I know that this advice sucks, but take a personality you really want to portray and figure out how to port it into the harsh Zalanthan world - then it's up to how good you are at creating your own fun. My own fun is playing out their day-to-day routine, and within that greatness tends (or not) to come.

Just roll into it with what feels like the best bet to achieve that!

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
Every time I've thought that I'll never enjoy a character as much as I enjoyed [insert about five characters here], I've been wrong eventually.
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

Bogre

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
For your next epitome:

- Try something new, that you haven't done before. Work personality/goals/something unique into them. Play a new clan, race, guild, mindset, or area that you haven't before. I always feel like the ones that stand out to me are the characters I've made that are just different.
- Draw inspiration from books / movies / TV. I've definitely yanked a lot of flavor from fiction  and there's so many things that can really revel in a Zalanthan light.

Until then:

- Sometimes it helps to play something light-hearted or light-investment. Doesn't necessarily have to be a throwaway, but someone's devoted minion or seeing exactly how long your 0-day char can last in the dangerous wilds can be fun. I usually go time-involved concept to time-involved concept, but there's certainly been times where I've enjoyed my character being essentially a bag of hit points waiting to be devoured in magnificent fashion.
- Highly recommend playing a mugger, raider, or general miscreant. Flash and burn in magnificent fashion. Criminals definitely generate a lot of shenanigans for everyone involved. If you end up with your head on a spike, well - just adds to the flavor of the game :)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Riev

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
My epitome character lasted less than 5days played. My last few PCs were like 20d+.

That epitome character, through no faults of his own, was banished from his home (Tuluk) for being associated with a magicker, found his way to Allanak, and having no recourse, fell in with the T'zai Byn. He knew they were famed fighters from Tuluk, but the Allanak branch was tougher than he expected, and his Sergeant was a real, brutal hardass. Eventually that PC legitimately feared for his life, and his personality split. I don't even remember how he died, but it was soon after that, and I'm glad for it. It was hard to justify when the other personality(or personalities) would erupt.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Cind

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »
Play an elf whose only goal in life is to fuck shit up. That should give you enough time to come up with a concept you like, and then you'll be grateful enough from playing something that isn't that elf, that it'll make you live longer.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Aruven

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 02:07:07 PM »

if you continue to play the game and sink into it, I imagine you will find as I have that the roles will surprise you (that's why we need each other as players) and that it ultimately becomes harder and harder to pick the 'best, funnest character ever.'

Hopefully we see you around. :D