Basic code stuff everyone should know

Started by John, February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 PM

May 07, 2019, 03:57:12 AM #25 Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:03:40 AM by ignealea
Quote from: Namino on February 12, 2019, 11:05:04 AM
Quote from: Akariel on February 12, 2019, 10:55:45 AM
Quote from: John on February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 PM
Something that has plagued me for years is how to refill grills. I've tried putting in kindling and wood to no avail. Helpers I've asked have also not known. I finally worked it out:

Thexi sells oil that when you type "pour <container> grill" causes it to refill.

What's some other basic stuff people have struggled with?

This shouldn't be the case, and grills should use wood. This was a fix that was implemented about a year, maybe two, ago.

put firewood grill
A length of firewood is too small, you would ruin it if you put an ashen bone and tile grill in.

129/129h 108/124m 108/110st| manageable | walking | dawn Dzeda

put dung grill
You put your lump of dried dung into an ashen bone and tile grill.

129/129h 69/129m 103/110st| light | walking | unarmed | late at night Dzeda
light grill
All the wood is spent.

129/129h 69/129m 106/110st|

As the dung crumbles away into nothing, the robust, dark eyed young man simply stands up, picking up
an ashen medium-sized bone and tile grill He moves to the window, and pushes aside the draperies in
order to throw the entire structure out of the apartment where it smashes in the street.

Negative.

So, and I could be wrong, but pretty sure kindling or tinder works for the grills. Don't quote me. :)

Bash is no joke.
You can 'flee self' to shake a tail.
Elves are dummy fast.
Half-elves are fast too.
Different weapons have different strengths beyond stun and hp damage.
Climb gear is essential if you don't want to parkour yourself into a juicy unconscious loot crate. (Unless you're an elf. Those skinnies climb like spiders.)
Prioritize strength if you wanna wrassle.
If you're at 50% hp, you're in trouble.
Alias ds disengage
'Light' encumbrance is best for fighting and being SNEAKY.
It's hard to be sneaky in heavy armor even if you're light.

Quote from: Cerelum on May 07, 2019, 01:22:23 AM
If you try wear bow back, it will only work if you're not wearing a backpack, but no matter what, you can sheath one thing on your back.

Except for shields, you can't sheath/sling a shield  :'(  (they can be "worn" on the back only).

Also, about climbing - if your character has failed a check and is falling through rooms that have a climbable surface (like a tall cliff), you can try climbing a direction (you'd presumably want to climb upward and you would do this simply by typing the direction ie. "up", or just "u"), and if the climb skill check is successful it will actually arrest the fall, potentially saving your character's life.  Each attempt takes stamina, but the direction command can be spammed to spam attempts.   I'm not sure if the spamming attempts is frowned upon in the way that repeatedly spamming combat commands and such is frowned upon, but I play it off as justifiable desperate scrambling by my character trying to preserve their life (which they actually are!).
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Be careful with that. It also takes hit points when you scramble.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on May 09, 2019, 12:36:41 AM
If you try wear bow back, it will only work if you're not wearing a backpack, but no matter what, you can sheath one thing on your back.

Except for shields, you can't sheath/sling a shield  :'(  (they can be "worn" on the back only).

Also, about climbing - if your character has failed a check and is falling through rooms that have a climbable surface (like a tall cliff), you can try climbing a direction (you'd presumably want to climb upward and you would do this simply by typing the direction ie. "up", or just "u"), and if the climb skill check is successful it will actually arrest the fall, potentially saving your character's life.  Each attempt takes stamina, but the direction command can be spammed to spam attempts.   I'm not sure if the spamming attempts is frowned upon in the way that repeatedly spamming combat commands and such is frowned upon, but I play it off as justifiable desperate scrambling by my character trying to preserve their life (which they actually are!).

Fun potentially incorrect fact, but it appears in robust testing that scramble is based on strength, not on climb skill. So just because you're falling off a cliff on your no-climb-skill halfgiant doesn't mean you're in trouble.

Edit: Though your master-climb below average str elf might be fuuuuucked.

Quote from: Namino on May 09, 2019, 12:48:21 AM

Fun potentially incorrect fact, but it appears in robust testing that scramble is based on strength, not on climb skill. So just because you're falling off a cliff on your no-climb-skill halfgiant doesn't mean you're in trouble.

Yup, I had a weak master climb human and he fell once, and I tried to scramble like crazy to no avail.

May 09, 2019, 03:37:14 AM #31 Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:41:43 AM by Cabooze

Has anyone ever actually tried to climb down instead of up when falling? Like... This might be a philosophical solution to falling deaths.

Quote from: Cabooze on May 09, 2019, 03:37:14 AM

Has anyone ever actually tried to climb down instead of up when falling? Like... This might be a philosophical solution to falling deaths.

Well, when already falling it appears you might be boned no matter what, though there is an interesting feature that only lateral or down climb failures result in falls. If you fail an up climb you'll not move but you won't fall either.

Quote from: Namino on May 09, 2019, 12:48:21 AM

I believe agility or climb skill has something to do with it for in-character reasons I can't talk about.