Basic code stuff everyone should know

Started by John, February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 PM

Something that has plagued me for years is how to refill grills. I've tried putting in kindling and wood to no avail. Helpers I've asked have also not known. I finally worked it out:

Thexi sells oil that when you type "pour <container> grill" causes it to refill.

What's some other basic stuff people have struggled with?

"pull quiver"

For a long, long time I wondered how people could get their arrows out and ready so darned quick!  I thought everyone must be really fast typists.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

For the merchanty characters, or anyone that has to tidy a clan compound:

empty <container> <target>
Takes everything from one container and puts it in another, without all the spam of doing it manually.

take . container
Takes the first item from a container. Super useful when sorting a fresh bag of stuff.

Quote from: KittenLicks on February 03, 2019, 08:48:48 PM

Takes everything from one container and puts it in another, without all the spam of doing it manually.

Be very careful with this command. The number of items in the container directly relates to the lag you experience afterwards. Emptying out a chest of 12 suits of armor? No biggie.
Emptying out a chest of 1200 white rocks? Better to ACTUALLY grill a steak...
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 04, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: KittenLicks on February 03, 2019, 08:48:48 PM

Be very careful with this command. The number of items in the container directly relates to the lag you experience afterwards. Emptying out a chest of 12 suits of armor? No biggie.
Emptying out a chest of 1200 white rocks? Better to ACTUALLY grill a steak...

Huh, I didn't know this! Still, unless you're a dwarf with some kind of rock empire, you'll probably be fine. Pretty interesting, though!

Looking up stealth underneath the 'gameplay' menu on the main website will lead you to all(?) of the available commands related to stealth. These include things like palm, slip, latch, unlatch, stow, etc.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Stealth

No matter how long you've been playing, you can kill ten minutes looking over helpfiles on the website, especially those new guilds, if you're really that keen on figuring out which one Amos is if he's been dropping hints all over you like he wants you to know. Not just new files; stuff like the Thief's Bible, the one about what sort of lifestyles you might have when you chose the linguist subguild, and subguild files like mercenary or  roughrider, stuff you might have glossed over briefly when it came out but then forgot about.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

February 06, 2019, 10:07:47 PM #9 Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:54:50 AM by Akariel
To add to the list:

Change hands <ep etwo, etwo ep, es ep>

Throw <subdued victim> <direction of cliff>

Barring a critical neck-snap fail, failing an up climb will not make you fall. Failing a sideways or down climb will (ie, always climb up if you catch yourself after falling over a cliff).

Weather <direction> will tell you what the weather is in the next room if you're at the gates and don't want to risk wandering into a sandstorm.

Get stool will make a space for you to stand at the bar if it's got tons of unoccupied stool.

keyword <word> | keyword <word> <container>
will give you a list of all items that share that word as a keyword, the corresponding number, as well as where they are located. the room, your inventory, or your equipment. I can get easily lost in a lot of text so this command is invaluable to me.

also: count <item> | count <item> <container>

Get stool bar and put stool bar allow you to make space at a bar or put the stool back, but the stool must be in the room and not in your inventory for this to work.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: John on February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 PM
Something that has plagued me for years is how to refill grills. I've tried putting in kindling and wood to no avail. Helpers I've asked have also not known. I finally worked it out:

Thexi sells oil that when you type "pour <container> grill" causes it to refill.

This shouldn't be the case, and grills should use wood. This was a fix that was implemented about a year, maybe two, ago.

Quote from: Akariel on February 12, 2019, 10:55:45 AM
Quote from: John on February 03, 2019, 03:59:15 PM

This shouldn't be the case, and grills should use wood. This was a fix that was implemented about a year, maybe two, ago.

put firewood grill
A length of firewood is too small, you would ruin it if you put an ashen bone and tile grill in.

129/129h 108/124m 108/110st| manageable | walking | dawn Dzeda

put dung grill
You put your lump of dried dung into an ashen bone and tile grill.

129/129h 69/129m 103/110st| light | walking | unarmed | late at night Dzeda
light grill
All the wood is spent.

129/129h 69/129m 106/110st|

As the dung crumbles away into nothing, the robust, dark eyed young man simply stands up, picking up
an ashen medium-sized bone and tile grill He moves to the window, and pushes aside the draperies in
order to throw the entire structure out of the apartment where it smashes in the street.

Negative.

Poop is codedly not wood, therefore the wood-burning fireplaces won't recognize it to start a fire.

The rest of it would really be better off being bugged IC (or WISH up) and we'll be able to take a look at that specific item. It may be an old item from before the fix went through.

That was a truncated log.

I tried quite a few different wood, I believe agafari branches and the other type of firewood (bundles, I think, this was over a year ago)? As you those able to infer context might be able to surmise, that log was the tail effort of probably 2 ooc hours of throwing various combinations at the grill and having nothing work, spending 3-4x the grill's value in possible fuel-sources, before my poor lad snapped.

In short: if there's any wood that works in a grill, I couldn't find it.

But oil, yes. Oil/alcohol does work. I think I ended up fueling the next one with agave.

Quote from: Namino on February 15, 2019, 04:05:53 PM

I tried quite a few different wood, I believe agafari branches and the other type of firewood (bundles, I think, this was exactly a year ago)? As you those able to infer context might be able to surmise, that log was the tail effort of probably 2 ooc hours of throwing various combinations at the grill and having nothing work, spending 3-4x the grill's value in possible fuel-sources, before my poor lad snapped.

But oil, yes. Oil/alcohol does work. I think I ended up fueling the next one with agave.

Quote from: Akariel on February 15, 2019, 02:38:28 PM
Poop is codedly not wood, therefore the wood-burning fireplaces won't recognize it to start a fire.

The rest of it would really be better off being bugged IC (or WISH up) and we'll be able to take a look at that specific item. It may be an old item from before the fix went through.
This is good to know, but there should be zero wood burning grills in Allanak outside of special ones in estates (that exist in addition to pop fueled options).

I really think some documentation on using pop for cooking would be highly beneficial. Seeing food cooked with pop should be something almost everyone not in Tuluk grew up with. It should be easily accessible (even just a detailed explanation here would be awesome).

The 'exits' command. Because getting lost in dark ancient tunnels....

<exits> will make your character stumble and grope around, showing you an idea of where you might be able to head, at the cost of 1 movement.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Namino on February 15, 2019, 04:05:53 PM

I tried quite a few different wood, I believe agafari branches and the other type of firewood (bundles, I think, this was over a year ago)? As you those able to infer context might be able to surmise, that log was the tail effort of probably 2 ooc hours of throwing various combinations at the grill and having nothing work, spending 3-4x the grill's value in possible fuel-sources, before my poor lad snapped.

We've all smashed our fair share of grills over the years LOL I think I emoted actually setting fire to the grill once in agony of its inability to burn anything.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Keyword KEYWORD all

So keyword wood all will check every container in the room that's open for anything with that keyword.

Huge help for apartments and or clan storage rooms/kitchens to find food or a certain material.

Only complaint about the command is it will just show you a plain chest, even if there is seven of them in the room, so you have to count down the list to figure out that it's 5.plain to get your thing.

Quote from: Cerelum on March 25, 2019, 08:36:01 AM
Keyword KEYWORD all

So keyword wood all will check every container in the room that's open for anything with that keyword.

Huge help for apartments and or clan storage rooms/kitchens to find food or a certain material.

Only complaint about the command is it will just show you a plain chest, even if there is seven of them in the room, so you have to count down the list to figure out that it's 5.plain to get your thing.

This is my fucking plague.
It also doesn't help SOME items report what is in them when you use keyword. So if you use 'keyword wood' and you have logs in your net thats in the room, AND in the chest in the room, you'll only see the logs in the net and may think you have no logs in the chest.

Also "keywork ." will return a numbered list of everything.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

hold bow
sheath bow back

This is how you can store a bow on your back.

If you try wear bow back, it will only work if you're not wearing a backpack, but no matter what, you can sheath one thing on your back.

Also, in regards to outdoor or potentially dangerous dark areas.

Hold torch
Toss Torch Area
Look Area

This can illuminate other rooms without putting you in danger of walking into them.  Better to lose a torch and see there is fifty aggressive critters than to lose your life.