Author Topic: Critical Role  (Read 3770 times)

Riev

Re: Critical Role
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
Could we start our own tabletop weekly game via Skype or something?

I'd be down for something similar, but it has been tried here numerous times. From skype to GDB to reddit play-by-post, and it always seems to fall off.

Personally I need the human interaction at the table to really feel involved, but I also don't have a weekly time I can "definitely always show up".
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »
If a group of you all started up a game of D&D I would definitely join. But I'm too much a newbie to be a DM or to organize a campaign. I can play consistent times on weekdays between 5 and 11 PM PST. Weekends would be hard for me, but maybe not impossible.

I've been delving into Campaign 1 of Crit Role and I'm consistently impressed with Sam Riegel's ability to make me laugh throughout every episode. Being a Bard really allows him to shine.

Riev

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
Sam's improvisation ability is just off the charts. I think he designs his characters around having one glaring weakness and just plays that off, but it works so very well.

Later on in the series, he and Travis are part of one of few scenes that actively make me teary eyed. No spoilers, but they all have a wonderful range.

Except Keyleth. (not Marisha). Keyleth is a na´ve druid that REALLY should always be associated with #thanksKeyleth

Krath

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Sam's improvisation ability is just off the charts. I think he designs his characters around having one glaring weakness and just plays that off, but it works so very well.

Later on in the series, he and Travis are part of one of few scenes that actively make me teary eyed. No spoilers, but they all have a wonderful range.

Except Keyleth. (not Marisha). Keyleth is a na´ve druid that REALLY should always be associated with #thanksKeyleth

Sam is the best. This is great, and starting with Season 2 was a great suggestion.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
Going between campaign 1 and 2 you really get the sense of how good they are a roleplaying their different characters. Vex and Jester, Grog and Fjord.

Sam, imo only gets better as the stories progress and he absolutely nails the dramatic stuff just like he does the comedy.

At this point I've consumed countless hours and still have so much more to go. Even still I know it will be very fun to re watch from the beginning again. Now that I understand the characters better.

Riev

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »
I've toyed with the idea of going back to Season 1 to rewatch, but its a lot of content and I already know the stories.

Now I'm consumed by a need to know more story from this arc. I need to know why... how... what don't we know still... what kind of sorcerous lich is Matthew Mercer who can take us on a 2 month arc for a single character off a single party decision?

#SamForBeyondPresident

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 11:14:38 PM »
Heh. Fucking right. Mercer is great with the stories.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Cind

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 10:30:20 PM »
If you had the time and energy to devote to a weekly session with friends, what kind of character would you make?

My class would depend on what everyone else was making, in order to provide utility that was otherwise missing. My race, I'd probably be something strong and not good with math, like a dwarf or something. I prefer clerics, though, because they are healers and can turn undead, and I love fighting undead in games. But paladins are cool too.

If there were already healers and paladins there I'd probably make a damage-absorber, some kind of tank.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 02:42:45 AM »
If you had the time and energy to devote to a weekly session with friends, what kind of character would you make?
It's actually due to Critical Role that I've actually started DM'ing for my own little group of newbies, on a bi-weekly basis.

So, in a way, I get to play all the characters/classes I want, in a single game! :D

But, as a player, I tended to enjoy playing as either a Cleric or Sorcerer. In 5th edition, dependent upon which archetype you would pick, especially for a cleric, would really allow you to have such an amazing and fun experience. I've had Sorcerer's who acted and played like Rogues (until they started flinging fireballs) and Clerics who charged in and dealt pain, like a fighter, until the Holy pain hammer dropped.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 05:44:53 AM »
I always play fighter. Usually half-orc.

Riev

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »

My class would depend on what everyone else was making, in order to provide utility that was otherwise missing. My race, I'd probably be something strong and not good with math, like a dwarf or something. I prefer clerics, though, because they are healers and can turn undead, and I love fighting undead in games. But paladins are cool too.

If there were already healers and paladins there I'd probably make a damage-absorber, some kind of tank.

I've had the idea for a trashy elven wizard for a while, but no chance to play him out.

I typically like playing support characters, if only because when they're not around/knocked out/etc, you really start to notice just how good that Bane/Bless was, or how much easier it is to hit when the enemy is dazzled

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 05:17:23 PM »

http://kck.st/2TsFKuD

Let's help this happen. They've already surpassed their goal (no surprise, really) but the higher it goes, the more invested this becomes. Plus, I'd help fund it, whether they were under or over, since I have thoroughly enjoyed the hundred's of hours worth of DnD content they've provided me with.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
That your youtube link originally showed an 500 internal server error (though possibly unrelated) is pretty fitting. That kickstarter was obliterated.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 04:38:57 AM »
Mindblowing, really. A little D&D show. So glad to have been there near the start.

Riev

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
I'm excited at the prospect that, if they make it a full 88 minute animation, it can qualify as a Feature Length Film, and be up for the nominations allowed for such things.

And if Sam sings original songs, it could be nominated as a musical, as well.

A bunch of nerds got together to play DnD for someone's birthday. Ashley did a thing for Geek and Sundry, and Felicia asked if she could put cameras on them and see what happens.

Years later, the original characters and backgrounds they created could mean they're up for an Emmy? I mean... come on. I can't even find the time and effort to TRY to discover a local game with openings on my schedule.

And they're so goddamned humble about the whole thing. They have my money.

Riev

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
Update from Girlfriend:

They re-did the stretch goals. This will no longer be a single animation, but a series. The stretch goal now is to do the entire Briarwood arc.

I literally just got shivers.

Riev

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
A dumpy little DnD game a few co-workers and friends started 5 years ago is now going to have its own animated series, spanning at least 6 episodes. Characters some people created for a campaign will be drawn, animated, and voiced by their creators to give a visual aspect to what was once just their imagination.

7million dollars raised by 50,000 people who want to see this come true. And the entire cast has been humble as all hell from the beginning, promising to use this clout to always assist the tabletop and board gaming community.

ARGUABLY, Wyrmwood wouldn't be as popular as they are without their sponsorship and connection with Critical Role.

Shaydee

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »

My husband introduced me to Pathfinder, and more recently we branched into 5th edition a little, and I tend to gravitate towards rangers and hunters, I like the idea of animal companions but even more so I love being able to rain arrows down on our enemies.

More recently I have tried playing monks and I enjoy those too.

I used to listen to Douglas and Dragons (a podcast) when I worked in the cooler at my old job, it was one of my favorite d&d podcasts. I never heard of Critical Role though, gonna have to check it out.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
Never heard of Criti ... yes, uhm, do that.  ;D

Riev

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
I think Critical Role is Best Podcast. All friends in Arostoyzka agree.

It depends on what you like... they aren't rules lawyers, they forget stuff a lot of the time, and things aren't DESIGNED to kill players. Its about the story and the narrative.

There's also Acquisitions Inc, though I'm not a fan of the DMs style (or the idea that I can donate money to maybe see the party get a heal..?). More funny antics than deep roleplay.

For maximum antics, there is also The Adventure Zone by the McElroy brothers. SO many Hijinks, but not so deep.

Critical Role is best role.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
I feel like Critical Role is a good balance between humor and plot intrigue. And it feels properly paced out - Enough downtime to understand each character yet nothing feels like filler content. I mean, Hell - They've had main arc's of the story based off of a character's background.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 02:31:27 AM »
There's Chris Perkin's game, not Acquisition INC ... Dice, Camera, Action. THere's also High Rollers, which is a British attempt at Critical Role. Both High Rollers and Dice, Camera, Action are really decent substitutes for Critical Role.

Cind

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
I'm actually listening to Critical Role right now. I'm on episode 4 of the podcast.

I would also recommend Drunks and Dragons, it is the funniest one I've seen, although I wouldn't know of one with a tighter storyline than Critical Role. A part of this is me not having listened to many, and the people in Drunks and Dragons tending to do completely random shit, even if the DM obviously had something elaborate planned.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Riev

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:27 PM »
There's Chris Perkin's game, not Acquisition INC ... Dice, Camera, Action. THere's also High Rollers, which is a British attempt at Critical Role. Both High Rollers and Dice, Camera, Action are really decent substitutes for Critical Role.

Oh good call. They just had Chris Perkins on for Between the Sheets, too. One of the longest they've had!

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
There's actually a lot of D&D podcasts, but a lot of them don't interest me because of the lack of in-depth story-work. I like story, and that's why Critical Role is my favorite. There's a Chicago guy, Aram, who does this beautifully edited podcast called Godsfall, and if that were even semi on time and real-play, I might like it even more than Critical Role. But it's very linear, and not as free flowing as CR, and so while it's magnificent, it hasn't grabbed me as much.

For me, exploring the characters and the world is critical to me enjoying the game. I'd heavily recommend Godsfall - just be aware that there are significant periods of inactivity between episodes because of the level of work and detail Aram puts into it.