Author Topic: Critical Role  (Read 2209 times)

Riev

Re: Critical Role
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
I think that's why I like Between the Sheets. Sometimes I just like to hear a storyteller telling THEIR story. Quyen Tran was absolutely magnificent. Its not just about reading someone's story, its the way they tell it, the way BWF connects with them and is less 'interviewing' and more 'another fan that really wants to know'.

Critical Role has, in all honesty, helped curb my need to play DnD or RP like Armageddon, because I can get lost in someone else's world every week.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Krath

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
That last episodes ending.... :o
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »
That last episodes ending.... :o
Man. Leave it to fucking Liam o'Brian to just completely turn the campaign on it's head. As a DM scratching at Mercer's inner workings, I'm pretty sure Matt had everything planned - Right until Liam/Caleb's big reveal.

Spoilers to follow:
The Male Drow already recognized them as the ones they fought in the wilderness and Matt already had a large hint that they were going to take the favor vs the full cash reward, so it was easy enough to plan for the plot to guide them to the Queen and an arrest. Even if, for some reason, they decided to just take the cash reward and bounce, I'm pretty sure the Drow would've detained them before they left the City of Beasts and still had them brought before the Queen and/or jailed in the same area (to put them closer to Nott's husband).

The only difference (which is major) is that they're now heralded as heroes instead of spies.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Riev

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
I was in-line with Travis' thinking, that the 'worst case' was that they get jailed, and have to find Nott's Husband in the jails and break out and get into crazy hijinks.

The fact that Matt seemed completely unprepared for Caleb to just turn that on its head, and basically declare themselves as heroes to "the bad guys(?)" and man. It shows how much that Fragment meant to the entire culture, that its mere presentation brought tears to their eyes,

BadSkeelz

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
Spoilers:

Travis's thinking had serious flaws and would have realistically gotten them all killed. The most glaring is that I'm not sure they're even in the same city as Yeza, so breaking out of prison with him was a dubious proposition at best. Secondly, the party would have been disarmed and disabled. If some comparatively rural slavers like the Iron Shepherds could shut down two of the party's spellcasters, the magically-adept Krynn definitely could have. Fjord should have remembered this, having been one of those helpless spellcasters.

The biggest problem with the "let's go to prison" plan is that their bags would have been searched and the Beacon found. Now you're a party disarmed, disabled and having to explain to the Kryn why they just found their God in your haversack. In a harsher campaign that's a fast track to TPK.

It'ss understandable that people wouldn't realize the importance of the Beacon, unless they remembered that the Kryn sent a strike team deep into the Empire to retrieve it. (Or remembered all the iconography of it they've seen in Xhorhas) Fortunately Caleb/Liam did seem to remember that and decided it was better to give than have to explain.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:24:37 PM by BadSkeelz »
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Krath

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
I was in line with Reiv's train of thoughts. They go to jail, find Nott's husband, then Caleb teleports them out. I do not think -anyone-, viewers or players alike, expected him to do that though.

The look on Matt's face when he realizes what Caleb is doing, makes me want to play D&D again. Travis' geography lesson is also a nice touch to the end of the episode.

Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
Excited to watch this episode live in 30 minutes.

Riev

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »
I almost made it to the break before falling asleep.

Unfortunately, loving reunions are sweet but not good for staying awake and engaged. :(

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2019, 04:35:47 AM »
They broke $8.8 million during stream and, after break, made a champagne toast to the viewers. It was a nice gesture.

Maybe now, this Kickstarter madness can come to a close but, yeah. I guess it'll probably taper off at $9.5 million, before this is all said and done.

Forbes, IGN, Polygon and quite a few other news medias have made articles about Critical Role. I like the publicity that D&D is getting, minus the satanic panic tinging everything.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Riev

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »
My favorite part is all the other groups, now, that set up their streaming in an attempt to be 'just like critical role'. There are a bunch of DnD streams now, both from big names like Overlord (Hyper) and Colville (Whatever Chains are....).

My super-favorite part is that sometimes the CR people jump into these 30viewer channels and throw love and support at them.

As big as Critical Role gets (they didn't think they could get $750,000 and they may break 9 MILLION), each of them behaves like they're just a bunch of nerdy-ass voice actors who sit around and play Dungeons and Dragons, and it shows. They're all friends (even though I still think Taliesen HUMORS Sam with his immortal bonds of friendship), and they just like to make each other go "ooooh", and we get to benefit from it.

Cind

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2019, 02:27:34 AM »
I loved the first episode, listened to a few more, but I guess I wasn't crazy about the creepy sort of things that lurked beneath Kraghammer. Several people said to start at season 2, and the Briarwood arc is being started right? That's kind of the one I want to listen to. I'm more interested in the origin stories, and especially those of the half-elven twins and the nobleman.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Riev

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
The issue with starting at Campaign One, Episode One is that the audio wasn't great at the time (I don't know if the podcast versions really improved on it) because it was sort of a test run. Starting them at Kraghammer was already in the middle of a plot they had going on from their home game so you're being plopped in the middle of something and you don't really know why.

Starting with the Briarwood arc, they give a lot more Percy background, and its a full arc of story, plus the audio issues were fixed by then.

Starting at Campaign 2, you still won't get their Session 0, but you'll get them all meeting up, going on their very first outing together, and learning how to be in their new skins.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:47 PM »
I've been plowing through campaign #2.  Currently on episode 18 of... *looks* 109!?!?!?   Dear god.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
Actually campaign 2 has 57 episodes so far. So not too far to catch up. Campaign 1 has 115 episodes in total though.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »
Oh I see, the youtube playlist was being misleading, lumping in campaign 1 for some reason.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:27 AM »
Welp. They broke $10 million.

The crazy bastards.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 03:55:07 AM »
BadSkeelz had a question asked in Talks Machina. Was a little surreal seeing anyone GDB related somewhere like that. Kind of like seeing a friend on the local news.

Riev

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:02 AM »
BadSkeelz had a question asked in Talks Machina. Was a little surreal seeing anyone GDB related somewhere like that. Kind of like seeing a friend on the local news.

I had a question asked way back in Campaign 1. It was surreal.

Also... $10 MILLION DOLLARS. They originally wanted $750,000 to do some basic like 70minute animated adventure.

They raised 10 million dollars from the community.

I can't even.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:02 PM »
Also... $10 MILLION DOLLARS. They originally wanted $750,000 to do some basic like 70minute animated adventure.

I personally feel like it was a beautiful example of how humble they are. I believe, during the first day of the Kickstarter, Travis even specifically mentioned that they hadn't planned to meet all the stretch goals IN A SINGLE DAY. They had expected to barely hit $750,000 in 45 days - Let alone less than 24 hours.

I think, over the last six years of viewership, a lot of viewers feel like they know the cast pretty well - Considering they got to spend a four hours a week with them.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Cerelum

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 10:27:34 PM »
I've never played D&D, because I never had anyone around who wanted to play it.

Plus the cost of all the books and shit.

But this makes me interested for sure.
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Riev

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »

I personally feel like it was a beautiful example of how humble they are. I believe, during the first day of the Kickstarter, Travis even specifically mentioned that they hadn't planned to meet all the stretch goals IN A SINGLE DAY. They had expected to barely hit $750,000 in 45 days - Let alone less than 24 hours.

I think, over the last six years of viewership, a lot of viewers feel like they know the cast pretty well - Considering they got to spend a four hours a week with them.

They're modesty and humility make them a lot more personable and feel like they'd be approachable. Sure, they're all professional actors and really enjoy the improvisational nature of the game, but they really make it obvious that they're really "a bunch of nerdy ass voice actors" that sit around and play DnD.

I've tried watching other streams, or listen to other podcasts, and it isn't that they're bad... its that Critical Role kind of set up the genre. They have good voice acting, they're out to make THEMSELVES laugh (except Liam the Ham <3), and they have top tier pacing.

10 million dollars to give us a full series arc of a couple characters they thought were 'cool at the time'. Scanlan shot cock-lightning, and they used to be called the S.H.I.T.S. Agh. Would that I had half the ability in any of their little pinkies.