Author Topic: Critical Role  (Read 4608 times)

RogueGunslinger

Critical Role
« on: January 05, 2019, 05:33:04 AM »
Anyone else a huge fan of this show? It's a group of voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons and it really scratches that D&D itch I've had for a while. I absolutely love it. Matt Mercer is a fantastic dungeon master. I love when he does Dream Sequences or really epic story bits.

Anyone who's into roleplay should absolutely check it out. I started it a couple weeks ago at the beginning of their second campaign. Everyone is fantastic in their roles.

Also I'm in love with Laura Bailey.

Pale Horse

Re: Critical Role
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
I don't miss an episode if I can help it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
I thoroughly adore the show. Even Season 1. Even episodes 1-30 of Season 1, when the show is arguably at its absolute worst.

Many many memories have been made listening to the show at the same time as friends and gasping at shocking moments, giggling at silly ones, holding eachother at sad ones.

It makes me wish I had enough money for my vocal surgeries so I could begin to practice being a DM and voice actor myself and really work at it - to be on Matt's level would be a dream come true, but the guy has 10+ years over me and has been GMimg for 5+.

Still, perhaps one day. Maybe I'll win a lottery or something.

That being said, discussing Critical Role without spoiling things for interested new folk is difficult as hell and that can really put folk off of wanting to watch it, so to any new folk interested, flee here and go watch. Go. Shoo.

To everyone else, maybe tag your posts if they contain heavy spoilers or something just in case 💖
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

Harmless

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
The show is excellent.

Matt Mercer is an excellent GM. All other GM and staff should seriously take notice. His huge array of GM tips aren't bad either. He is basically a hero of roleplaying and is a great way to get people who aren't familiar with RP into the genre and is entertaining to me even though I have been playing pen and paper and RP intensive MUDs since age 12.

I have watched all of season 2 to date and eventually I will re attempt to watch season 1 which I agree was pretty rough to start.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
Absolutely. Besides watching the show every Thursday, I listen to the podcast at work, and currently I'm on my third run through of the first season.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
Been watching it since around episode 30, of the first season. Absolutely love these guys. Watching this show actually gave me the push to jump into D&D. My only regret is not playing sooner. I'm actually going to DM for my next game, thanks in part to Mercer's awesome DMing.

Sam is probably my favorite, followed by Travis and Laura. But it's Sam's improv humor that really brings some fun to the show, for me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:38:03 PM by Gunnerblaster »
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Krath

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:47:58 PM »
What channel is this on?
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
It's an online show hosted on the GeekandSundry twitch channel each Thursday, but you can find all the past episodes on the GeekandSundry YouTube channel (uploaded the Monday after a Thursday episode). CriticalRole twitch channel also hosts it each Thursday.

Keep in mind there's currently like 600 hours of backlog of content. You can ignore Season 1 if you like (or read episode synopses of S1E1 - S1E29 and start at S1E30) to save some time, but if you have the time spare (even listening to it as a podcast - each episode uploads the audio to all podcast places) it really is worth it. Second only to the Balance arc of The Adventure Zone in my mind for Dungeons & Dragons content online.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:05:12 PM by MatisseOrOtherwise »
It's always lizard time.

Pale Horse

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
If you feel like subscribing to yet another streaming service, the show is also hosted on "Alpha."  You get the episodes live (Twitch Stream is also live), but as Alpha is Geek and Sundry's foray into hosting it's own service, you can also watch or listen to the show almost immediately after its over.  Typically, the show airs on Thursday nights at 7 pm pacific standard time and runs for anywhere between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours and an edited (for sound, visual issues, post production, etc) version of the live show will be put up on Monday on Geek and Sundry.  With Alpha, you can watch the unedited recording of the show when it gets put up Friday morning (AM style morning).
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Krath

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 11:54:29 PM »
Thank you M.o.M and Pale Horse.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Cind

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
I downloaded some episodes. I've always liked duergar. Never played a game of DnD. I'm not sure people do that much in the rural south. I always thought that was sort of a city thing, where people stay indoors to amuse themselves.

I'll get around to listening to them pretty soon. I've never met a DnD podcast I didn't like, so that's my pre-review.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Akaramu

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »
...I tried to watch it, but I didn't have the patience for the lengthy character introductions. When I watch a Let's Play, for instance, there is something happening from the first minute. A typical case of 'it's not you, it's me'.

I know I'm probably missing out on something awesome.  :-\

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »
...I tried to watch it, but I didn't have the patience for the lengthy character introductions. When I watch a Let's Play, for instance, there is something happening from the first minute. A typical case of 'it's not you, it's me'.

I know I'm probably missing out on something awesome.  :-\

The thing to remember is that while it is being publically presented, it is also being played like a standard game of Dungeons & Dragons - there's a lot of roleplaying, a lot of consideration, a lot of planning.

It may be best to download the podcast variants to try them out listening, while doing something else?
It's always lizard time.

Akaramu

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
It may be best to download the podcast variants to try them out listening, while doing something else?

Cool idea, I didn't know there was a podcast version. Thanks for suggesting it!

nak4life

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »
Thanks for this. I'm now fully engaged into Season 2, I'll go back and watch the first when I'm done here.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
I've been watching it ever since Youtube randomly suggested at 2am the following video, apparently trying to convince me that magickers can be cute or not-stupid or something

Caught up to Season 2 by episode 14 or so, but haven't had the urge to check out Season 1. Plenty of other animatics to watch from there.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Kol

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »
So I started watching this due to this thread and having seen a few of Matt Mercers other videos Like D&Diesel (a Vin Diesel special). Loving it so far.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Jarvis

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
If you lads dig this, you might also like "ItmeJP".

He hosts several roleplaying shows with Adam Koebel, and back in the old days, two other great DMs.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:27:13 AM »

The animations for some of the scenes are great.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Krath

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »
Started on season 2 as M.o.M suggested...Hooked

Riev

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Critical Role ruined a lot of Roleplaying for me, and I believe was the impetus to my downfall in Armageddon. I wanted a game more like a narrative DnD game. Still do, but I don't have a regularly scheduled time I could engage, nor you know. Friends.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
Playing D&D has been some of the best times hanging out with people as an adult.  There were nights I laughed so hard it hurt the next day.  It can be awkward to join a new group of strangers but if it's a good group you'll be friends in no time.

I really miss my main tabletop RPG buddy.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 10:39:39 PM »
I'm really not sure there's anything online that can come close to actually playing tabletop RPG's with other people. Finding the right people, the right system, the right standards of roleplay, that's where I always come up short. If anyone has any ideas about something like that it would be amazing.

Krath

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »
Could we start our own tabletop weekly game via Skype or something?

Seeker

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 11:15:36 PM »
"Is it Thursday, yet?"
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.