Author Topic: Health Insurance USA, Important!  (Read 194 times)

Lizzie

Health Insurance USA, Important!
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »
Tomorrow is the last day for health insurance open enrollment on HealthCare.gov. The government slashed funding on advertising for it, which is why this year you haven't seen any ads on TV or in newspapers or radio reminding you to get covered. They also reduced the window of time you are allowed to sign up, which is why the last day is tomorrow and not January 31, as it was for 2017 and 2016, and February 15 as it was in 2015.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Health Insurance USA, Important!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
Meh. It's still insanely expensive, especially if you're not having part of the cost comped by your work.

~300-400 per month with a 7k deductible, cheapest plan being ~270/month with $7900 deductible?

Fucking vultures.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Lizzie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »
Meh. It's still insanely expensive, especially if you're not having part of the cost comped by your work.

~300-400 per month with a 7k deductible, cheapest plan being ~270/month with $7900 deductible?

Fucking vultures.

It all depends on your situation. I did a check to see what it would cost me in Florida, if we moved there today (instead of next year) on our current combined income. That includes hubby's pension, and my part-time job, and nothing else. We had some options; we could get a crappy high-deductible high out-of-pocket plan for ZERO. We could get a somewhat useful Silver plan but with a $2000 deductible for $135. Or we could dish out around $495 for a comprehensive HMO with a $2000 deductible.

In some cases it's cheaper to go on a private individual plan, and in other cases it's cheaper to pay into the crappy 80/20 plan offered by your employer. My employer offers one that covers - juuuuust about nothing at all, and I get to pay $585/month for it. So it'd be MUCH cheaper and MUCH healthier for me to pay the $135 for the $2k deductible with somewhat limited coverage.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Sayyadina

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »

Fucking vultures.

Not incidentally, a Party of Trump judge in Texas yesterday struck down the ACA as a result of a Party of Trump lawsuit against the ACA. Hopefully the right wing judge's decision will be overturned and the ACA will survive. However while the ACA is better than the status quo ante, the situation is still untenable.

Healthcare premiums and out of pocket health costs (and costs for education and rent and child care and more) keep rising but median income in this country has been flat literally for decades. Tens of thousands of people in the USA (the richest and bestest country in the history of the world I'm told) die every year because of lack of healthcare.

Maybe healthcare should be a right in this country? Maybe we should have improved and expanded Medicare for All?
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

WarriorPoet

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
I pay 375 a month to cover 6 people, medical dental and optical. Pretty sweet. The deductible is brutal but it is still far cheaper than a 2 day stay in a hospital.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
As a broke college student, I qualified for Medicaid. Just received my coverage info several days ago.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.