Magick double subguilds

Started by MeTekillot, November 24, 2018, 05:07:42 PM

Magicker subguilds should be separate from subclasses. If you pick a magicker subguild, you should have the option of picking a primary Aspect/Path (starting spells and branching) and an advanced Aspect/Path (spells you'll be able to pursue after you MAXXXXXXX your primary aspect, but not before). Alternatively, you can pick a primary aspect and any of the subguilds.

November 25, 2018, 10:15:06 PM #1 Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:18:38 PM by Cind
I once asked staff if it were possible for someone to be a sorcerer, psion, and witch all at once, and they said yes, it is possible in Zalanthan science.

I assume, but do not know and would not say anyway, that it is also possible to be a witch of more than one type.

Honestly? The fact that a dual witch has NEVER existed in any plot I have ever been in or heard of is a big hole in my continuous story.

If they can't exist, well that makes sense. But it seems like they would, after staff answered my moderately related question.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I meant two paths of their respective Element not two different Elements.

one can be an elementalist, learn sorcery, and be a human who has psionics, but i don't think it would interact well to have multiple elements in one person.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

if only I could be a mul elementalist sorc psion.  Now that would be OP.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

There needs to be more sharing of spells between aspects so that you dont get so pigeonholed, or maybe this idea metekillot advises which is also good.

In general the subguild elems are not to my liking and I feel that way more and more as I have tried them. I don't only play gickers though so I can't speak for all of them at all.

When a particular subguild was an especially disappointing experience in the past I gave staff detailed feedback about its weaknesses and got the response that yes, maybe that one subguild was underpowered. (Hint: it is the guile krathi. Do not bother to play them, they are basically nothing but broken promises and tears, a disgusting mockery of Krath and completely masochistic to play). But. Maybe a larger overhaul like the OP suggests is a better overall solution since it would also address the problems that any particular subguild has and it would preserve a feeling of variety within the element's 4 possible subguilds. I like it.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Cind on November 25, 2018, 10:15:06 PM
I once asked staff if it were possible for someone to be a sorcerer, psion, and witch all at once, and they said yes, it is possible in Zalanthan science.

I assume, but do not know and would not say anyway, that it is also possible to be a witch of more than one type.

Honestly? The fact that a dual witch has NEVER existed in any plot I have ever been in or heard of is a big hole in my continuous story.

If they can't exist, well that makes sense. But it seems like they would, after staff answered my moderately related question.
I don't think that a dual witch could exist, because those powers are derived differently. Let's check it out.

A psionicist is a mutant of sorts, possessing powers of the mind from birth.

An elementalist is also a mutant of sorts, possessing a connection to a specific element of magick at birth.

A sorcerer is not a magickal creature at birth, and learns how to steal power from some source in order to turn that power into magick.

So, yes, a psionicist could also be connected to a magickal element at birth, and later in life learn how to steal magickal power and cast spells with it. But dual witches couldn't exist, as far as I know, because in order to be a elementalist, you are heavily tuned in to one of the elements at birth. If you were tuned into two elements, you would never manifest because your connection to either would be too small.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: MeTekillot on November 24, 2018, 05:07:42 PM
Magicker subguilds should be separate from subclasses. If you pick a magicker subguild, you should have the option of picking a primary Aspect/Path (starting spells and branching) and an advanced Aspect/Path (spells you'll be able to pursue after you MAXXXXXXX your primary aspect, but not before). Alternatively, you can pick a primary aspect and any of the subguilds.
I agree with the first portion of this idea regarding a magicker subclass being separate from mundane subclasses. In fact, I think it would be pretty cool.

But I also think that in order for me to support the second part of this idea, I'd want branching spells to require more than simply failing a nul spell. In fact, I'd like to see magick require the same kind of use that combat skills require ... I'd like to see those same plateaus if the caster doesn't take real risk.

Re: Psi, elementalist and sorcerer of your dreams

We've probably become more strict in this area as the years have passed an a more refined view of magick has emerged. You may remember when we went to magick subguilds that we specifically said that Psionicists could not pick magick subclasses.  Suffice to say, players will not be able to combine psionicist, sorcerer or elementalist elements together (or two different elements together).

NPCs...we'll just leave that a mystery.

I wish I could have the power of staff npc ;.;

Quote from: Brokkr on December 04, 2018, 11:42:56 AM
Re: Psi, elementalist and sorcerer of your dreams

We've probably become more strict in this area as the years have passed ... players will not be able to combine psionicist, sorcerer or elementalist elements together (or two different elements together).

NPCs...we'll just leave that a mystery.
I'm super-sure she didn't mean that staff told her she could play it, but rather that the science of it was possible.  :o If anybody told her she could ... whoa.

A psion/sorcerer/witch? Yeah, that'd break the whole game and get rid of four nobles, their seven aides and all three Byn sarges. One person should not be able to affect the game like that.

A double witch of krathi destruction and vivaduan healing? Yeah fucking boy. I don't care if it wouldn't work with the game lore. Make it happen.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Just because you have the capability to kill the entirety of Allanak, does not mean you should. And I feel like most people who ever reach that level of power are smart enough to understand that.