Strength

Started by tapas, November 22, 2018, 11:29:38 PM

high stats stunts your skill growth at a certain point which means you have to do utterly outlandish and ridiculous things for a chance at skill growth (weapons comes to mind in this).

i don't exactly know how it is now, but hopefully that has changed somewhat?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Doesn't the preferred stat priority during the character creation help with making sure you're 'tall muscular man' is actually muscular?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 24, 2018, 08:50:46 AM
high stats stunts your skill growth at a certain point which means you have to do utterly outlandish and ridiculous things for a chance at skill growth (weapons comes to mind in this).

i don't exactly know how it is now, but hopefully that has changed somewhat?

Nah, if you spend 30 days IRL time logged in the Byn, have exceptional str as a fighter, don't weigh yourself down, and aren't surrounded by muls and badasses, you will be stuck at apprentice weapon skills, even if you use the same weapon the entire time.

Even if you stare at the screen for 8 hours a day and spar everyone you possibly can.

THEN you spar the guy who has "been out hunting" for "a couple of years" and he absolutely rips you to pieces.

Having said that, does it make playing in a clan any less fun, even if you are a hulking brute that destroys almost everyone despite your apprentice level skills?  For me, it didn't.   until the new classes were introduced and my legacy warrior was getting riposted by fighters left and right.

High strength is detrimental only if you're relegated to fighting other humanoids.

Wait, are we on the [redacted] or the GDB?

Bear with me

Quote from: mansa on November 24, 2018, 09:36:44 AM
Doesn't the preferred stat priority during the character creation help with making sure you're 'tall muscular man' is actually muscular?

Yes, and this is an aside, but an interesting thing that me and seidhr figured out is that if you ONLY prioritize strength (or any other stat), then the game automatically assigns priorities to other stats.

IMO, that's why you don't see rolls with multiple exceptionals or Xgoods anymore; if you prioritize one stat, the game, instead of making the other stats "completely" random, just assigns them to random prioritization.

So, I choose strength as my primary stat.  The game continues with the "prioritization" mechanic, assigning your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices for you.

I have not rolled a character with no prioritization yet, so I don't know, if you refuse to prioritize a stat, whether or not it is completely random or if the game just randomly selects the prioritization for you, if that makes sense.
Bear with me

If you go "no prioritization" then you get a little bit higher than if you prioritize overall. But in doing this, you often do not get the stat you want as the highest.

Unless you already know the effects of guild/race/age and your wants align with the natural bonuses.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on November 24, 2018, 12:59:33 PM
If you go "no prioritization" then you get a little bit higher than if you prioritize overall. But in doing this, you often do not get the stat you want as the highest.

Unless you already know the effects of guild/race/age and your wants align with the natural bonuses.

As someone who dies 'A LOT' and having tried both prioritizing and not prioritizing stats, I haven't really noticed any difference. Is there any way to verify what you are saying here?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: Boogerbear on November 24, 2018, 10:41:47 AM
Wait, are we on the [redacted] or the GDB?
Haha. I know, I thought the same thing. But I've noticed a little more staff leeway and staff transparency in considering the bones of the game upon my return, which I frankly am glad for. Discussing numbers regarding coded mundane skills in no way tells you about secret locations, story plots, characters who are still living, magickal whohaw, and so on and so forth. The moment that happens, we've crossed the line.

It's like discussing being an FBI agent. You can learn about all of the requirements for being one (discuss the code), but you won't learn a secret within the FBI until you actually get to join the FBI (play the game). Well ... that's a bad example, but we're not supposed to know the FBI's secrets ...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Boogerbear on November 24, 2018, 11:01:56 AM
IMO, that's why you don't see rolls with multiple exceptionals or Xgoods anymore; if you prioritize one stat, the game, instead of making the other stats "completely" random, just assigns them to random prioritization.

I just saw a character with three exceptionals a few days ago.  Dead within a couple of hours.

Being observant is also good.

QuoteEnter your priority: strength

Using stat order of: 'strength endurance wisdom agility'

On the lines below you must enter your main character description.

Yeah, I didn't catch it because of the scrolling text after that part.

I had to figure it out when seidhr was like, but dude, you prioritized X stat as your lowest, so why are you bummed?

I had just been unobservant and not noticed.

I'm glad he pointed out that the stat I wanted *was* prioritized (automatically), though, because I am a dumb man sometimes and would likely not have realized it otherwise.

Good to know that multiple high stats are still possible and it's not a downward-curving chain like I had wondered.
Bear with me

November 24, 2018, 04:06:33 PM #84 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:09:00 PM by Dresan
Encumbrance in relation to strength and gear/weapons weights should probably be looked and probably re-balanced, with a greater range for gear weights. For example, some leather sleeves can be surprisingly heavy, even though chitin and shell sleeves are not much more heavier

Not too concerned with dwarves with exceptional strength doing a lot of damage out of creation and having the ability to wear stone armor without breaking a sweat, however on the other side of the coin, an elf with average to good strength should still have no issues with most leather and chitin gear, along with weapons.

Quote from: Brokkr on November 24, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
I just saw a character with three exceptionals a few days ago.  Dead within a couple of hours.

Makes sense that the people who churn through characters are more likely to see great stats at some point, compared those who play their fewer characters carefully and live longer.

For the record, in more then 20 years I have had about 49 PCs...of them, 4 had stats I considered unplayable, 2 more had bad but playable. The rest were good or WOW! I have ordered stats I think...3 times now....maybe 4...pretty sure 3.

Anyway...I had mentioned increasing the encumbrance range...I have been thinking about that and take it back. Instead how about increasing the weight reduction or encumbrance of worn items?

As we all should know, items being worn encumber less then items in inventory or container. Increase that reduction by some %. This I think would solve some problems without breaking anything and should be pretty simple.  Elves would be able to wear at least leather without having issues but still not able to carry a bunch of extra crap. Which I think is perfectly fine.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Brokkr on November 23, 2018, 12:19:32 PM
All the classes cap O/D at the same point.

HG are an outlier, especially if you are considering any before a year or two ago, as there was a way for them to become essentially immune to elf level melee damage. That won't happen now.

I just saw this...WOW. That does not even make any sense at all. -ALL- classes CAP O/D at the same point? How is that realistic at all? Would you mind explaining the logic behind this change Brokkr?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. They don't start as t the same point, and the others don't have the same cap on weapon skills or combat skills. Off/Def don't even show up in your skill list either. Pretty sure all the mundane classes have the same cap on contact and barrier too.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on November 24, 2018, 04:52:49 PM
This seems pretty reasonable to me. They don't start as t the same point, and the others don't have the same cap on weapon skills or combat skills. Off/Def don't even show up in your skill list either. Pretty sure all the mundane classes have the same cap on contact and barrier too.

A fighter/Enforcer/raider should not have the same O/D cap as a Stalker/scout/infiltrator/miscreant. Please explain the logic behind this except that it is "equal and Fair" to all classes.

Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I do also agree that heavy combat classes should naturally have a higher karate skill offense/defense cap.

November 24, 2018, 05:31:55 PM #92 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:39:24 PM by lostinspace
I suppose I assumed that next to no one hits those caps to begin with, so what does it matter? I don't actually know that to be true however. I'd be interested  in what percentage of characters have reached max offense in the past. For now it seems like the big head start the heavy combat guilds get is a fine advantage. If everyone starts maxing out their offense maybe we should re-evaluate.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Pretty sure staff said that improving off/def was made easier some time ago...so...likely many have.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

This is kind of funny to me cuz it seems like the O/D thing was never a problem until Brokkr pointed it out. Did any of you guys even suspect this was the case before he said something? I didn't.

Anyway. I don't think this is any kind of problem. I'm sure the O/D caps are offset by your class and your other skills.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: X-D on November 24, 2018, 04:26:19 PM
For the record, in more then 20 years I have had about 49 PCs...of them, 4 had stats I considered unplayable, 2 more had bad but playable. The rest were good or WOW! I have ordered stats I think...3 times now....maybe 4...pretty sure 3.

How would you rank these? (From a consecutive string of characters):

Extremely good, extremely good, below average, poor.
Extremely good, very good, average, average. (young character)
Exceptional, extremely good, average, poor.
Exceptional, very good, very good, below average.
Exceptional, exceptional, above average, average.

A distribution like "Very good, good, good, above average" seems to be rare. It's always extremes at both ends for me.

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on November 24, 2018, 05:41:59 PM
This is kind of funny to me cuz it seems like the O/D thing was never a problem until Brokkr pointed it out. Did any of you guys even suspect this was the case before he said something? I didn't.

Anyway. I don't think this is any kind of problem. I'm sure the O/D caps are offset by your class and your other skills.

Essentially where I'm at, who even knows if they've hit the cap before. Can anyone here definitively say they have hit offense/defense cap before.
3/21/16 Never Forget

November 24, 2018, 05:52:38 PM #97 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:55:08 PM by X-D
Extremely good, extremely good, below average, poor. Playable

Extremely good, very good, average, average. (young character) Good

Exceptional, extremely good, average, poor. Good

Exceptional, very good, very good, below average. Very good

Exceptional, exceptional, above average, average. Wow

I can say with Oh...99% certainty, I have hit the caps with at least 6 likely more PCs.
Lizzie:

The cap is the same.  The rate at which you learn is different.

I know how many times X-D has hit the caps, with 100% certainty.

Distributions are just math.  If you roll 4 times and order the rolls, from best to worst, you get a declining curve unless other factors are added/subtracted (which for stats, is the case) before you see the results.  But in general it is going to look like a decreasing curve, with the same likelihood of having at least one really poor stat as one really good stat.

QuoteI know how many times X-D has hit the caps, with 100% certainty

Ooohhh...so, at least once then...woohoo.
Lizzie: