Old Classes, New Classes, and Clan Ranks

Started by Boogerbear, November 22, 2018, 09:07:37 AM

With the new classes, characters aren't pigeonholed into basic roles like fighter, crafter, etc.

I think it would be neat to, as time goes on, move away from clan ranks originally designed for the legacy classes.

Thoughts?
Bear with me

Quote from: Boogerbear on November 22, 2018, 09:07:37 AM
With the new classes, characters aren't pigeonholed into basic roles like fighter, crafter, etc.

I think it would be neat to, as time goes on, move away from clan ranks originally designed for the legacy classes.

Thoughts?

What do you mean? From what I understand, those ranks are IC -jobs-. If you're a cashier at speedway, it doesn't matter if you know 8 languages, are a kung-fu master, have a degree in mechanical engineering, and won a season of master chef. Your job title is still cashier. Unless I'm misunderstanding?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

What I don't mean... is what we saw happen with Tuluki legion ranks.

It's harder to say what I do mean, but, well, it just seems like many of the ranks reflect the archetypes of legacy guilds.

Specialized jobs added to clan ranking ladders just seem kinda cool to me - for certain clans.

What, if any, could those be?  Fernet is hurting my creativity
Bear with me

Most know example being the classic shield and scout in the Byn?

I'm against formalized jobs for certain guilds/clans, and prefer when those in leadership roles make their own system or just recognize what each individual is capable of. I especially don't want to join a clan and just know everyone's guild because he's a wrist breaker but that guy's a thing and that other guy is heavy mounted unit.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Yeah, I'd hope that guild-sniffing would be harder with the overlap of skills, but I understand what you're saying, LIS.

Leaving things up to leaders might be the best.

But I remember even in boot camp, newbies had special roles: You were the Maytag Recruit (in charge of washer/dryer), the Scribe (handling paperwork-like, admin stuff), early chow/late chow (you guarded weapons apart from the platoon while the rest left), or maybe you were Guide (basically, lead runner).
Bear with me

I'm discovering a system based on delegating things to people based on what that player a) excels at and b) appears to enjoy doing through RP, they seem to tuck in nicely. Everyone starts in clans as a scrub anyways so you just get a feel for it by the time they've proven themselves not a scrub.

Scrub A is obsessed with shooting shit. Cool. First archer. You make sure the new guys who are equipped and trained, keep on top of ammo stores, answer any questions, first to draw on engagements, etc.

Scrub B is aways making a scene about plants and trying to bandage everything. Field medic. First to bandage, expected to carry extra in case new guys forget cures or whatever, in charge of keeping the medical stores stocked, etc.

Scrub C is social AF and runs around on leave time meeting people and generally just bouncing around in bars. Super. Recruiting advisor. Investigate new potentials. Inquire. Try to convince them to join and advise the leaders on the possible benefits of aforementioned potential.

You can make up whatever you want, just so long as they seem both good at it, usually they're good at because that's what they wanna do while online.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

The only clan I can think of where this might be a problem is the Soh Lanah Kah, where the documented divisions are pretty clearly along warrior/ranger/merchant class lines.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 23, 2018, 08:52:47 AM
The only clan I can think of where this might be a problem is the Soh Lanah Kah, where the documented divisions are pretty clearly along warrior/ranger/merchant class lines.

Do you think the new class system still jives pretty well with those archetype-based jobs?
Bear with me

Quote from: Boogerbear on November 23, 2018, 09:29:46 AM

Do you think the new class system still jives pretty well with those archetype-based jobs?

It doesn't really matter.  The SLK are a dead clan, because the starting location and tribal restrictions are very nearly unplayable for a noob PC.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 23, 2018, 10:14:54 AM
Quote from: Boogerbear on November 23, 2018, 09:29:46 AM

It doesn't really matter.  The SLK are a dead clan, because the starting location and tribal restrictions are very nearly unplayable for a noob PC.

More or less agree, but I do think the classes help Sun Runners. Gives more variety while still fitting into those general roles rather easily.
3/21/16 Never Forget

You don't have to be a Heavy Combat to be a 'warrior' role. Anything from HC-Mixed can fill it. Any class at all can play social roles. Anything in the middle three tiers can be decent at stealth roles. I don't see there being any expectation that only x class can be y role/rank.