The Non-Coded Quality of Life Improvements Thread

Started by Delirium, November 15, 2018, 10:13:07 AM

I got this idea from monitoring the newbie help channel. First suggested fix:

1) Shovels are not readily available to purchase in Allanak. I believe there's one in the starter shops, but not once you get in-game.
1a) Make all items in the starter shops are available for purchase at in-game shops.

Quote from: Delirium on November 15, 2018, 10:13:07 AM

1) Shovels are not readily available to purchase in Allanak. I believe there's one in the starter shops, but not once you get in-game.
1a) Make all items in the starter shops are available for purchase at in-game shops.

Newbs should have to shovel shit with their bare hands.

I definitely feel like it shouldn't be on the PLAYER to know that you can only buy shovels if you travel to New Menos, for no reason.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Please this. Also could we either bump up some of the coded effects of certain items to that of specific starter items (i.e. something in the Red Storm starter shops) or bring that one item down into a more normal range.

It also grinds my gears that the kuraci shop in red storm doesn't even sell any spice pouches or boxes when nearly all of their business comes from the fresh influx of spice in the area. So if you want to RP being a spicer you better damn well not forget to buy the right RP equipment before you come into the game.

There's also the problem with there not being a single shop that yet sells blowdarts in game, despite having multiple fletchers and archery shops in game. But yet there is a next to useless throwing dart sold in Red Storm? Could probably get rid of that, tbh.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

November 15, 2018, 01:16:00 PM #4 Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:58:24 PM by Synthesis

I believe there's one shovel that loads per reboot, so you have to run and get it real quick.

The real problem is that shovels are stupid difficult to craft.  It goes like this:

1) chop an agafari or baobab log
2) lumberjack the log into poles
3) woodcraft or lumberjack a pole into a wooden toolshaft
4) stonecraft a shovel blade
5) toolmake a shovel actually, putting the two parts together uses stonecrafting, because fuck toolmaking, right? ???

All this for work for a goddamn shovel.  Only Artisans and Craftspersons can make them without branching.  Dune Traders and Laborers have to branch from forage...takes about 2-3 days played for a Dune Trader and 4-5 days played for a Laborer (due to guild caps on forage).
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Next suggestion, then!

2) Expand the tool/materials shop in Allanak to have commonly needed crafting supplies for a price. Like the guy with the cart in Luir's Outpost.

November 15, 2018, 04:51:31 PM #6 Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:33:11 PM by Delirium
(Nevermind. I split the custom craft debate into a new thread.)

+1 this.

Also from the other thread:
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 14, 2018, 01:54:34 PM
Any chance that ">craft ingredient into #1"  could be made to work without the "#"?  This has tripped up newbies and, err, returned veterans alike.   ::)

And lastly, is there any way we can streamline the water-buying syntax?  It seems like every water-seller is already the only merchant in that room, so targeting them shouldn't be necessary.  It also seems like every water-seller only sells one kind of water.  ">fill waterskin" should really be sufficient for this task.

I noticed this in character options:

al) Master Crafter
bu) Custom Crafter

This could be pretty confusing to new players. Could we re-name "Master Crafter" to something else? I'm a little stumped for suggestions as to exactly what, though.

RE:  Newbies and Red Storm

So, Red Storm has remained mostly untouched since a meteor strike destroyed it and Krrx remade it to be badass.  Oh, they took away the gith NPCs there, which I disagree with because, if Krrx put them there, he had a good reason.  This is the guy who made the Byn what it is, after all.

With Tuluk now closed, I would offer the following recommendations for Red Storm:

*   Allow the Kadian warehouse to buy more things, except clothing.  The Sand Lord's clothing business has that covered.

*   Leave the Salarri warehouse, the hide shop, and the dwarves who sell fruit alone, as well as Laraag (sp?), the mul who sells the massive bags of flour.

*   Allow the Kuraci warehouse to operate like the emporium in Luir's, who'll basically buy anything, and give the shop regenerating obsidian more than it has now.

*   The tent with the two merchants who are scripted to bicker with one another do not seem to regenerate coins like the others do, so I think increasing their buying power would help.

*   I think the newbie shops are a great addition to the game, and not only should items capable of being bought there be available in game, but expanding what's offered as far as budget gear would not hurt, either.

The worst thing about Tuluk closing, for me, is the removal of a huge chunk of the IG economy.  Tuluk had way more shops than Allanak, so I think it's a good idea to allow the remaining shops to regenerate coins more easily/have the ability to buy more items.  In the case of the Kadian warehouse in Red Storm, barely any items are offered, and they don't, to my knowledge, buy anything.

Tweaking the Kadian and Kuraci Red Storm warehouses to buy more raw materials, tools, finished goods, arrows, etc, seems like a good idea as well.
Bear with me

As for quality of life for newbies, I think PC clan leaders shouldn't be afraid to post on IG boards when they're hiring.

Monthly posts about who to contact about joining X organization would be good. 

I'm not saying it isn't happening at all, but I don't think players should be afraid to put plugs for joining their clans on a more regular basis on in-game message boards.
Bear with me

Add a helpfile for 'italics' 'bold' 'underline' 'formatting' that links to an explanation of text formatting:

Surround your text with '/' for italics, '*' for bold, and '_' for underline. Only players with the 'color emphasize' option enabled will be able to see the formatting.

As per these release notes

Add crafts to bundle common items into groups.

For example:

feathers
bones
rocks of a similar type
gems of a similar type

Quote from: Delirium on November 20, 2018, 06:39:45 PM
Add crafts to bundle common items into groups.

For example:

feathers
bones
rocks of a similar type
gems of a similar type

Yes please god.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

If there is no one working on a solution to the "I already have too many of those" problem, please someone, please. I'd rather sell my ten chalton hides for five sids a piece than have to deal with this all the time. I mean, I'd have to get TWENTY of them to make a hundred sid. I don't understand why that is a problem when you can already go to the meat shop and buy unlimited amounts of chalton hide for ten sids or whatever.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Since skinning is not a given and the population of the game is low there should be an expansion to the coe of the slaughter house that players can bring in any beast and get them cut up for a cost. But also they would receive all the parts of the beast back.

Perhaps the cost is indicative to the size of the beast.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Add a helpfile titled "metal" which describes

a) its rarity
b) what types of metal exist
c) what commoners are likely to have seen of metal and how the average commoner might react to finding some
d) anything else I missed

Quote from: Delirium on November 21, 2018, 06:39:58 PM
Add a helpfile titled "metal" which describes

a) its rarity
b) what types of metal exist
c) what commoners are likely to have seen of metal and how the average commoner might react to finding some
d) anything else I missed

YES PLEASE! There is hardly any documentation in the game, at least that's easy to find, talking about this.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Delirium on November 20, 2018, 12:23:55 PM
Add a helpfile for 'italics' 'bold' 'underline' 'formatting' that links to an explanation of text formatting:

Surround your text with '/' for italics, '*' for bold, and '_' for underline. Only players with the 'color emphasize' option enabled will be able to see the formatting.

As per these release notes

Searching for how to use italics, bold, etc., gave me trouble.  Umm, like two days ago.  And I'm not a newbie.  I mean, the help files are in there, but the first time I was looking over the color helpfile, I totally missed them.
Bear with me

Since it is a frequently asked question: update the encumbrance helpfile with encumbrance levels:

Very light
No problem
Light
Easily manageable
Manageable
Heavy, but manageable
Very heavy
VERY heavy
Extremely heavy
Unbelievably heavy

In either the helpfile for subdue or release, include information about "throw <subdued person> <direction>". I don't know if that interaction is actually listed in a helpfile anywhere.

Also, having the helpfile for throw list 'toss' as a "see also:" reference would be handy for those who are unaware.

A lot of helpfiles still use the words for legacy classes and the words guild and subguild. For example, the helpfile 'subguild.' It would be a shame to me to type help subguild or help guild and not get anything, but help subclass and help class still work--- they simply direct you to the original doc pages which have those legacy words.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Wait, nevermind.

It looks like 'help subguild' and help subclass actually direct to different, but nearly identical docs.

Sneaky.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded