Karma regen, Karma prohibition, who is waiting on regen?

Started by Derain, November 09, 2018, 10:19:45 AM

My favorite role is that one Runner who goes down the well first. Fuck yes for stupidity!

Quote from: Delirium on November 10, 2018, 07:03:53 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here: redshirt throwaway PCs are really fun to play.

I find most of them, to be jarring and ridiculous, as I have a difficult time imagining anyone living to be 20-30 years old, yet the second they're in the game, they turn into bumbling oafs, who die within a year, to a total lack of sense.

Tbh, I'd rather have more people consistently playing the race/class/subs that interest/excite them, and having a good time, than biding their time on Haven, or playing some obscene caricature, who blows farts towards a Templar, and runs out shouting "Tee hee hee!", until someone kills them.

I don't understand, this obsessive need to constrict and limit people, or to withhold so much, from so many, for so long, when most of the time, I don't see more than 25-30 people online, and often, much less than that.

It all seems, rather backwards and self-defeating, tbh.
"Mortals do drown so."

The game seems to be constantly fighting against the tide of options.

Imagine advertising on Mud connector:

"Look at all the options we have ... once you've played here for 10 fucking years. Maybe. And even then, once every 90 days."

I'm not talking about immersion-breaking morons, I'm talking about flavor characters that bring to life the virtual PCs that nobody plays long-term. The half-mad beggars, the reeking scum of the earth sort of types that most PCs are too "special" to be.

Plenty of people live to be 20-30 in real life but end up doing hard drugs or becoming alcoholics or criminals and making dumb life choices that end up getting them jailed/killed/wrecked and that's cushy Earth life. Now import that to Zalanthas.

I am probably biased, I usually enjoy taking a break between serious characters (or, just taking a break) because I sometimes find it hard to go from one long-lived PC to another without some sort of interim piddling around.

This whole thing does seem kind of dumb to me. If I was at 0 karma after dying I'd just put in a specapp and bypass the process altogether.

Note I am still a proponent of lowering the cost of ESGs to 1 or getting rid of the cost all together.

Karma should be/was for gating difficult/magickal roles, not mundane concepts.

everybody wants to drive the ferrari and nobody wants to drive the honda?  surprise!  But i can vouch that an accord is still a really good car.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on November 11, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
everybody wants to drive the ferrari and nobody wants to drive the honda?  surprise!  But i can vouch that an accord is still a really good car.

I want to drive the Jaguar. But when the Jag is in the shop, I really like riding my bicycle. Or even walking. It's a refreshing change.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So, I've been choosing 0 karma subguilds since my 1 karma char died 33 days ago, and I'm still at 0.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on November 21, 2018, 07:41:20 AM
So, I've been choosing 0 karma subguilds since my 1 karma char died 33 days ago, and I'm still at 0.

When was he last time you logged in to your PC? Karma regen only happens, apparently, when you actually log in to your character, so if it's been 3+ days since you've logged into a character, that would be why.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Nope. Still playing my 0 karma dude. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

I am also waiting for my karma to regen! Really do wish that we wouldn't have to wait just to app in a mundane concept that requires at least one karma but it is what it is.

Quote from: Eyeball on November 09, 2018, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: Vex on November 09, 2018, 01:53:44 PM
There are others, I know of, who simply will not play the game, unless it's utilizing their full karma, every time.

I don't understand this. Do these people absolutely have to be a mage or a half-giant?

The new guilds have broadened ability, I don't really even see why having an extended subguild would make such a difference, especially given that most characters probably never reach their full potential anyhow.

QuoteA 3 karma player, can double bump weapon skills

That character is still going to be crap at parrying, shield use and such and will need to train. He or she will still potentially be a crappy rider and will be falling off mounts for a while. It's not such a big advantage.

Like Mansa noted, it would be great if some stats could be compiled.

If a player only plays full 2-3 karma pcs idgaf if they stay away.

My 1 karma regened a good while back and its been sitting there, looking at me. I don't really know what to do with it. Play my second favorite role while my first favorite is free? I can tell you this, I am one cheap date.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

My best and most successful PC ever was intended to be a throwaway.

During beta testing of the new classes, someone took one of the heavy combat classes to max - human or half-elf - such that they would have wiped the floor with any other PC.

I personally played a stealth class during the class beta that was hugely successful, zero karma required.

Quote from: seidhr on December 06, 2018, 02:49:18 PM
My best and most successful PC ever was intended to be a throwaway.
Merchant who hardly merchan't, aide who hardly socialized, zero fighting skills - deflected multiple assassination attempts. To me it's the role play and the depth/development of the PC which is most important...

... but that said, it would be nice to play that one particular class some time....
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I think it would be kind of awesome if they allowed zero-karma persons to have two or three ruk and vivadu touched a year.

Once your three free ruk touched have died though, you gotta start using karma.

People who have a stick up their ass about playing fair would, obviously, lose the ability to app from these touched slots without using their karma. If its something light enough not to warrant a week-long ban, such as stapling all the furniture in the tavern to the ceiling with metal staples, and you tell them don't do it again, and they do, just either ban them for a day or take away one of their three free slots. If they show a couple of months down the road that they've become responsible and taken the stick out of their butt, you can give it back.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

It's confusing to me that people can't enjoy 0-karma classes between their karma classes. You're supposed to be playing for the story, not the class anyway. The most mundane classes can have awesome stories!

Remember, Sujaal was just a warrior.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Some of the coolest stories I remember were those of legacy rangers.

I can't see myself ever waiting on karma regen to roll up a character.  The vast majority of my characters are 1-karma extended subguilds.  Even if one of those died right away, with the way the new classes are massively more useful out of the box, I wouldn't need one of those to have fun.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 07, 2018, 05:03:31 AM
It's confusing to me that people can't enjoy 0-karma classes between their karma classes. You're supposed to be playing for the story, not the class anyway. The most mundane classes can have awesome stories! . . .

From reading threads recently, I suspect that there are two kinds of people playing this game: those who can build a great story in a character with any sort of stats or skills, and those who don't want to invest in building a story in a character with less-than-good good stats and skills. 

I fall in the first camp, too.  I think we're like dwarf fortress, "Losing is fun!"  I can have a great story in a two-week character.  One of my favorites was like that.  And the other category is more "Winning is fun!"  They don't have fun unless the story is a lot longer, and they get frustrated when they die right away or to something stupid, which they think happens more if you have bad stats.  (I say "think" because I'm thinking of Zoltan's Lieutenant Raul, who was mediocre, but it didn't matter because he and a bunch of people of all kinds of stats I'm sure got nuked from orbit during that RPT he died in.  Anyway.)  But I'm not really sure that either is the "right" way, I just think we have different things we enjoy at the most basic level.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

If I'm going to invest a year and a half playing a PC...what is the downside to waiting 30 days so that I can get master armorsmith instead of armorcrafter?

The mundane extended subguilds are VASTLY SUPERIOR, not in ways that let you get the powerup and win the game, but in ways that make it far less annoying for you to play it.

E.g. plain-jane subclass hunter...your skinning skill maxes at a level where you still utterly fail skinning simple shit.  You might get an actual hide 25% of the time.  This isn't annoying because you're not making 'sid.  It's annoying because any time you want a simple fucking piece of leather, you have to spamkill 10 chalton just to get a single god damn hide.  The only reason not to wait for extended sub Outdoorsman is if the subclass really isn't that important to you in terms of it being actually used for a purpose.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Ya, as someone who's average character lifespan is over a year, I would definitely wait for karma to pick an extended subguild.

I say only magick subclasses and karma races should drain karma.  Mundane extended subclasses should just go off your max without actually spending a point.  (Or just make them 0-karma.)

If people want mundane things to spend temporary karma points on, let us spend it on skill boosts or starting cash boosts.

Quote from: valeria on December 07, 2018, 08:51:14 AM
But I'm not really sure that either is the "right" way, I just think we have different things we enjoy at the most basic level.
Yes, that is true, and I don't feel like either is the wrong way or the right; it just confuses me.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 07, 2018, 10:21:55 AM
The mundane extended subguilds are VASTLY SUPERIOR, not in ways that let you get the powerup and win the game, but in ways that make it far less annoying for you to play it.
I suppose that's a very good point, but a throw-away character is one you don't expect to play for a year and half. Yet, as Valeria notes above, your ideals are not the wrong way to play. And I don't know; maybe they should all be made into 0 or 1 karma classes. The only things karma is really important for is magic or racial options anyway, to me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 07, 2018, 10:33:39 AM
Ya, as someone who's average character lifespan is over a year, I would definitely wait for karma to pick an extended subguild.

I say only magick subclasses and karma races should drain karma.  Mundane extended subclasses should just go off your max without actually spending a point.  (Or just make them 0-karma.)

If people want mundane things to spend temporary karma points on, let us spend it on skill boosts or starting cash boosts.

I think there should be different rules regarding karma regen for: 1) magick; 2) race; 3) extended subs; 4) skill bumps.  Limiting 'gickers is more important than limiting muls and d-elves, which in turn is more important than limiting extended subs, so there's no reason why the karma regen rules should be the same for all three categories.  Something like a straight 10 days for skill bumps, a straight 15 days for each extended-sub karma point, a straight 20 for each race karma point, and a straight 30 for each magick karma point.  I think that would be enough to keep people from playing the suicide reroll lottery.

E.g. if you have 3 karma and you spend it on a d-elf scout/krathi-guile...you get 1 karma point back at 20 days for the d-elf race point, you get another point back at 50 days for the 1st 'gicker point, and you get the last point back at 80 days for the second 'gicker point.

E.g. if you have 2 karma and you spend it on a d-elf warrior/grebber...you get 1 karma point back at 15 days for the grebber extended sub, and you get the second point back at 35 days for the d-elf race point.

E.g. if you have 2 karma and you spend it on a human infiltrator/outdoorsman...you get 1 karma point back at 15 days, and the second point back at 30 days.

E.g. if you have 3 karma and you spend it on a human fighter/linguist with 3 skill bumps...you get 1 karma point back at 10 days, another at 20, and another at 30.

Standing rule would be you get the points back in the minimum-time-order.  So you regen skill bump points first, then extended sub points, then race points, then magick points.

Personally, the only reason I haven't waited for karma regen is because I've only played 3 of the new classes (and really 1 of them doesn't count because it was a 1-day death due to me being a fucking idiot).  And honestly, to really delve the top-tier combat limits of a class, you have to survive quite a long time...so we're looking at at least 18 months or so and 3 long-term PCs just to get a general sense of where the top tier is and what the learning curve is for row 1, 2, and 3 classes.

After that, though...waiting isn't that hard.