What is a "special snowflake", exactly?

Started by oggotale, November 08, 2018, 07:39:13 PM

I don't really know, exactly.

Seems to be some contrasting views as to what it means.

It refers to people that don't play by docs? or is it used to refer to people whose characters have dramatic/filmy/unusual traits? or both?

Depends on context.  When used of players, it generally means people who think the docs/rules don't apply to them.

When used of characters, it generally means characters that have been written (or skilled up, or portrayed) to stand out in some fashion.

Practice 1 is generally detrimental.  Practice 2 can run a gamut from caricatured/campy to vibrant/interesting.  The application of the pejorative is frequently based in personal perception.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I don't think that's a word in game ever to be used, so it's a player community thing.   It should never be used in game, because it doesn't snow in Zalanthas.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I dont think you can say it doesnt snow in Zalanthas because we do not know what is outside the Known.

That said: A special snowflake is a character that goes against the norm. In my mind that Byn Sarge F-me beautiful character? Special snowflake because they are not heavily scarred from doing their work. Any character who acts contrary to the documentation: Docs say elves dont ride, oh but my elf does because he is special. Any character that in any way, shape or form needs even a little bit of explaination that can be summarized by: he is a little special.

That is not all to say that you cannot play a unique character. Just stay within the confines of the documentation that says you should hate elves and that Tektolnes is all powerful so far as you know.

A "special snowflake" is a derogatory term on the GDB used to describe the attitude a Player has towards their particular character that would put them into a position of elevated importance to the game world and other Player Characters, as determined by the biased views of everyone other than said Player.

Generally used as a means to throw shade at someone for becoming upset when things don't go as planned for the story or goals that they may have for their PC, to include but are not limited to: Death, enslavement, not getting a position in a Clan they wanted, generally having anything bad done to their PC, not being the point of attention of every and any plot or being critiqued on their role-play.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I find it hilarious that everyone has their own definition.

I always associated the term with strongsuit who plays against the documents. For me it only becomes derogatory when said snowflake gets upset that the world was brutal to their snowflake character for going against the socially acceptable norm on Zalanthas.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: oggotale on November 08, 2018, 07:39:13 PM
I don't really know, exactly.

Seems to be some contrasting views as to what it means.

It refers to people that don't play by docs? or is it used to refer to people whose characters have dramatic/filmy/unusual traits? or both?

You seem to be asking what it means, in terms of the game. Also because its under Arm - General Discussion.

In terms of Armageddon, a "special snowflake" is a player-run character who does not follow the general documentation that the average character would. For example: An elf who is quick to trust, or a Dwarf whose Focus is constantly shifting (bear with me on these), or someone who believes in the worship of a god that isn't Muk Utep/Tektolnes. Something that, certainly, COULD exist in the game world, but it is very against the norm. The character is not average, and may not be expected to live long with their beliefs.

For a personal example: A Hardcore-Tuluki fanboy PC who wanted to serve in their City Militia, but through no fault of his own gets connected with spooky magick stuff, so he is banished until the head of the creature is brought back. Character has no access to magick, it was all happenstance, and as a result of the banishment from friends and family has developed a sort of psychotic break, or separate personality. This is not the norm, and a "psychotic break" in a character isn't the norm, nor is "talking like a different person or adopting suddenly different mannerisms". The gameworld might react and assume you're being mind-bent, or you ARE a magicker or worse.

That character was a special snowflake. There was no documentation for it, it wasn't really a 'supported' character archetype. I had no belief that staff would, should, or could be capable of supporting whatever plots he would get into. It was not specifically AGAINST documentation, but it was a very special case that documentation may/may not support.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It's a snarl term. It's just an easy way to throw someone into a box and not feel the need to consider their opinion.

Other common snarls you might see: twink, troll, carebear, SJW or redneck.

Mary sue and neck beard are my personal favs
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Griefer is a my preferred character aspersion. Also accusations of "power trips" at high power PCs. Of course I'm mad with power. Being mad as a half-elf just means people walk away when I rant.

November 09, 2018, 04:34:09 PM #11 Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:38:45 PM by Bogre
Quote from: Pale Horse on November 08, 2018, 10:44:33 PM
A "special snowflake" is a derogatory term on the GDB used to describe the attitude a Player has towards their particular character that would put them into a position of elevated importance to the game world and other Player Characters, as determined by the biased views of everyone other than said Player.

Generally used as a means to throw shade at someone for becoming upset when things don't go as planned for the story or goals that they may have for their PC, to include but are not limited to: Death, enslavement, not getting a position in a Clan they wanted, generally having anything bad done to their PC, not being the point of attention of every and any plot or being critiqued on their role-play.

It's this. Characters can be unique and special with a view towards realism: your Byn Sergeant can be beautiful, maybe they're /just/ that good, or lucky, or pay a Viv to patch them up. It's okay to play someone unique as long as you roll ICly if you land in the shit. Special snowflake is just continuing to play the character without bending to IC events, and doing what they're gonna do despite docs.

It's really when players/characters cease thinking that realistic actions have consequences, or that they need to 'win' in every circumstance. They refuse to play the cards they're dealt.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQDsLkfNWc8

Pretty Much This.. and sometimes.. Moar
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.