ArmageddonMUD with Color

Started by Boogerbear, November 08, 2018, 09:00:27 AM

So, I'm not sure when the color effects were put into the game, but I just turned them on a few days ago.

I gotta say... it's... different after playing something for so long in black in grey but suddenly having color.

How many of you guys use color?  Any traditionalists who stick with just black and grey?

What are some of the best parts of using color?  It seems like there might be advantages to it, like brew ingredients being color-coded, thus easier?

I haven't had combat or traveled much using color, but, so far, I think it's a neat change.
Bear with me

When I was playing, I used the color. Generally, the defaults worked well for me, I changed a couple things like Psionics to be more readable with a black background.

The coloring is subtle, and helpful. When I look into a room, I can more easily parse if there are mobiles in the room, or not.

The one caveat to it, is that the coloring made me more aware of what is PHYSICALLY, REALLY there  in the room. I started to forget that because there is no colored line in the room, there may be vNPCs there.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I color room titles through the change color feature, and have various clientside highlights for color names and important combat lines because change color isn't specific enough for me. I would not be able to play without any color at all.

I use color because without it, I'd find it impossible to skim for important pieces of text, and color breaks it down into easily digestible parts. Especially with even just basic room title highlights while moving around.

I use the default colors. It helps a lot with spotting certain things, like psis, and when you get hit. It seems to break room titles in tintin, unfortunately, so I am using windows + mushclient now.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

The Real elite players that use color, and want armageddon Hard mode play Black background, Black font.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I couldn't play without color. Even before it was added I had a number of client side colors applied to lines. Get more than five PCs in a room emoting or god forbid in combat and important things are easy to miss. Things your character would notice.

I highlight the words you, your and yours for example so I can easily tell if I'm being addressed.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

I've never played with color, with the exception of highlightting specific keywords using my client:

arrived, north, east, south, west, up, down, primary hand, secondary hand, both hands, attacks, over the edge

I think that's the extent of words I have set up to display in color, and that's just so I can easily pick out what is happening when I need to know something quickly, or as a warning to stop from randomly being killed by something stupid. These allow me to quickly know what direction someone came from/is going, if they're armed, if I'm about to go over a cliff, if something attacks me, etc.

I might try turning color on to see how it is, though.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I still play with black and grey.

Only problem is that now the combat highlighting, while present, is not really that noticeable.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

VT100 mode seems to work pretty well for me.

8)

I use blue for the room exit text, light grey for the room name background and dark grey for the room name text.

Been doing that since the color scheme came out.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded