Author Topic: Moonlity Sky: The Graphical Armageddon Client  (Read 1033 times)

RiftTalon

Moonlity Sky: The Graphical Armageddon Client
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
Moonlit Sky v2.1

Hello, good folks! First, I'm going to give you a little backstory on what this is about. Armageddon is an amazing game with an awesome community. However, it is very difficult to get your feet in the door for a new player. That became very evident when I started trying to invite my friends to the game.

I'd get constant complaints about how clunky the game is, or how it's missing quality-of-life features. And ultimately, none of them wanted to play because unless I was holding their hand, they couldn't get anything done without weeks of trial and error or reading documentation. The game's just too oldschool for some people. Most people don't want to devote time to memorizing areas or making spreadsheet maps. Or they find that typing `i` every time you want to know what's in your inventory can get annoying after a time.

There's a lot of things that could be more streamlined for our new arrivals.  So I took it upon myself to create a collection of plugins designed specifically to give players a tangible interface and ease-of-use features. This client includes vital bars, a minimap, new canned emotes, combat utilities, and tons of other useful stuff for new players and veterans alike.

Installation Guide

This section is all about setting up the client so that you can start playing Armageddon. Moonlit Sky is built off of a client called MUSHclient. It has been modified specifically for the purpose of making Armageddon more accessible to newer players, and providing quality-of-life improvements, as well as an immersive interface.

So let’s get started! The first thing you need to do is download the Moonlit Sky MUSHclient. It can be found at the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k33FkZEqz85WCALN5YMdzNHl23XW9QeL/view?usp=sharing.

After the download has completed, you need to extract the .zip file to the Program Files (x86) folder on your computer. It can be found under C:\Program Files (x86). Note that you may instead extract it to wherever you like, but it is not recommended and can add extra steps to the setup process.

Once extracted, you can open the MUSHclient folder, and double-click on MUSHclient.exe to run the client. I recommend also creating a shortcut of the executable file on your desktop for easier access.

If your client says that a file is read-only or needs write permission, try running it as an administrator.

Once you get to the game's menu, you will want toggle on ANSI/VT100 for colors, bolds, and italics. Then when you get in-game, use the armasetup command to set everything up.

If the output stretches off of your screen, cutting off the text, then press Alt+Enter and under Appearance>Output, change the font size to be smaller. If you'd like to use the font that I recommend, it's 'Inconsolata' and can be installed from within the MUSHclient folder.

Setup for Other Locations

If you decided to extract the client to somewhere other than Program Files (x86), there are extra setup steps involved.

After extraction and opening the MUSHclient.exe file, a pop-up will appear telling you that the world file was not found. This is a simple fix: just choose the option to find a new location, and you should immediately see an Armageddon.mcl file, which is what you need to select.

Now you should attempt to close the client. Another pop-up will appear asking you to find a save state folder. Select the folder titled state.

For discussion regarding the client, you can check out our Discord server at: https://discord.gg/hXdMqmW.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:48:21 PM by RiftTalon »

Brytta Léofa

Re: Moonlity Sky: The Graphical Armageddon Client
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Dude, thanks so much for doing this! Back when I first started playing I spent...countless hours trying to get some minimal automapping to work. I can well imagine how much time you've put into this.

Q: How can I know that this is safe to run, i.e. doesn't root my machine or send you my Armageddon username and password?
then the father hen will call his chickens home

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »
This is amazing.

Brytta stop being paranoid. If someone stole your account it would be an easy retrieval and developing a system that helps people would be a really complicated way to go about performing a social hack. There would be far easier methods.

That said, probably getting staff approval for something that includes a mini-map might be the best idea.

Edit: Wait this thing auto-maps? I thought it just had a map in it. If it just automaps that's amazing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:30:05 PM by RogueGunslinger »

lostinspace

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
I looked through and didn't see anything malicious. I will say however that some commands can clobber your current settings. ArmaSetup is what sets up the infobar, but it also messes with your prompt, color settings, and brief settings.

So I recommend copying those down in case you want to go back.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Inks

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Good job.
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
Brytta stop being paranoid.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

When I get home I'll checksum the mushclient.exe. Nothing personal--I'm concerned about airport USB chargers too.

Feco

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:41:52 PM »
Holy fucking shit.

Nice.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Krath

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
Wow! Very Nice!

I just need to figure out how to adjust each box's location and size now...Any help?
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
So I'm trying to validate your MUSHclient.exe and just not having much luck. It's version 5.06, which I finally found here: https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/releases ("latest_commit"). That .exe and yours are the same size but I'm getting different checksums for them (using "cksum $filename" on Ubuntu-on-Windows).

Allay my fears, man! Where's your MUSHclient.exe install from?

MapleNut

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »
Makes everything so much easier for me. No more getting lost in text or having to check inv every few mins. Name system is amazing, too.

RiftTalon

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »
So I'm trying to validate your MUSHclient.exe and just not having much luck. It's version 5.06, which I finally found here: https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/releases ("latest_commit"). That .exe and yours are the same size but I'm getting different checksums for them (using "cksum $filename" on Ubuntu-on-Windows).

That's the same place I downloaded the client from. Not 100% sure how checksums work or anything, so I can't really help you there. But all the code is open-source so feel free to look for any vulnerabilities if you feel the need.

RiftTalon

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
Also, thank you everybody for your feedback and support!

Akaramu

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
Omg I WOULDN'T GET HOPELESSLY LOST IN THE WILDERNESS ANYMORE

Tried to get automappers to work so many times with so many MUD clients. Never succeeded.

Lizzie

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 11:50:21 PM »

Not sure if I'm answering your actual question - but MUSHclient is an odd duck. It downloads as a compressed folder. When you decompress it, you need to load the subdirectory folder to your desktop. From there you can open the desktop icon and select mushclient.exe from the subdirectory. I don't know if that's how you do it on a *ux OS but that's how you have to do it on Windows.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »
Would this work on Mac OSX?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Lizzie

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 12:16:45 AM »
Would this work on Mac OSX?

Theoretically it would, but you can only use MUSHclient on Mac if you run it under WINE.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Classclown

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 05:46:31 PM »
There are sounds and a character builder.
 :o :D

Feco

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »

Not sure if I'm answering your actual question - but MUSHclient is an odd duck. It downloads as a compressed folder. When you decompress it, you need to load the subdirectory folder to your desktop. From there you can open the desktop icon and select mushclient.exe from the subdirectory. I don't know if that's how you do it on a *ux OS but that's how you have to do it on Windows.

They're saying that the MUSHclient executable is different than the "stock" version, so to speak.  This can indicate it's been tampered with in order to do things it otherwise shouldn't.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Miradus

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »
Omg I WOULDN'T GET HOPELESSLY LOST IN THE WILDERNESS ANYMORE

Tried to get automappers to work so many times with so many MUD clients. Never succeeded.

That's my only concern. Everything else looks great.

You're not going to be any happier knowing that the far western edge of the map is due west 63 rooms from the bar.

If you think the world feels small now ... wait until you've mapped it all out. I still find surprises hidden in little cul-de-sacs I've never explored before (fuck deathtrap rooms) but it's gotten pretty rare now.

RiftTalon

Moonlity Sky v2.1
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »
New update has been released. Fixes a lot of bugs and inconsistencies. Adds compatibility for Red Storm and the Tablelands to the mapper. A few new commands were added as well.

Heade

Re: Moonlity Sky v2.1
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
New update has been released. Fixes a lot of bugs and inconsistencies. Adds compatibility for Red Storm and the Tablelands to the mapper. A few new commands were added as well.

Nice. Is the mapper compatible with the areas around Luir's/Northlands?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

RiftTalon

Re: Moonlity Sky v2.1
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 01:56:44 AM »
Nice. Is the mapper compatible with the areas around Luir's/Northlands?

Not yet. Working on Red Desert/Luir's next.

MapleNut

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 01:57:13 AM »
Thank you for adding the keepalive as a default. Also, did you fix the glitch when two names are being used at the same time it doubles? And that combat glitch too?

RiftTalon

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 01:58:34 AM »
Thank you for adding the keepalive as a default. Also, did you fix the glitch when two names are being used at the same time it doubles? And that combat glitch too?

Yep, all fixed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:22:41 PM by RiftTalon »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
How does the map function work? Do I need to enable something? I'm a mudlet baby.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.