Moonlity Sky v3.0: The Graphical Armageddon Client

Started by RiftTalon, October 25, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

October 25, 2018, 04:25:03 PM Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:21:22 PM by RiftTalon

Moonlit Sky v3.0 + MUSHclient v5.06

The Moonlit Sky MUSHclient package was designed as a plugin suite for the multi-user dungeon game Armageddon. It is the most powerful graphical client available for the game, offering a minimap with fog of war, an inventory panel, and vital bars. Along with hundreds of highlights, command aliases, and other utilities.

Installation
There are a few necessary steps before you can hop right into the game. Read on!

• Download the client .zip file from the Github releases section. (https://github.com/JamesRBDev/moonlit-sky/releases)
  • Extract the contents into your Documents folder.
  • Once extracted, double-click the Armageddon.exe file to run the client. You can also create a shortcut of it for easier access. If the client says that a file is read-only or needs write permission, try running it as an administrator.
  • Under File, click Open World and select Armageddon.mcl to start up the world. This will connect you to Armageddon.
  • Once you get to the game's menu, you will want toggle on ANSI/VT100 for colors, bolds, and italics. Then when you get in-game, use the armasetup command to get things started.
  • If the output stretches off of your screen, cutting off the text, then press ALT+ENTER and under Appearance>Output, change the font size to be smaller. If you'd like to use the font that I recommend, it's 'Inconsolata' and can be installed from within the client's folder.
  • The first time you exit the client, it will ask you for a save state folder. Simply select the folder titled state from the list.

For discussion regarding the client, feel free to join our public Discord server at: https://discord.gg/hXdMqmW

Dude, thanks so much for doing this! Back when I first started playing I spent...countless hours trying to get some minimal automapping to work. I can well imagine how much time you've put into this.

Q: How can I know that this is safe to run, i.e. doesn't root my machine or send you my Armageddon username and password?
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

October 25, 2018, 06:24:01 PM #2 Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:30:05 PM by RogueGunslinger
This is amazing.

Brytta stop being paranoid. If someone stole your account it would be an easy retrieval and developing a system that helps people would be a really complicated way to go about performing a social hack. There would be far easier methods.

That said, probably getting staff approval for something that includes a mini-map might be the best idea.

Edit: Wait this thing auto-maps? I thought it just had a map in it. If it just automaps that's amazing.

I looked through and didn't see anything malicious. I will say however that some commands can clobber your current settings. ArmaSetup is what sets up the infobar, but it also messes with your prompt, color settings, and brief settings.

So I recommend copying those down in case you want to go back.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 25, 2018, 06:24:01 PM
Brytta stop being paranoid.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

When I get home I'll checksum the mushclient.exe. Nothing personal--I'm concerned about airport USB chargers too.

Holy fucking shit.

Nice.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Wow! Very Nice!

I just need to figure out how to adjust each box's location and size now...Any help?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

So I'm trying to validate your MUSHclient.exe and just not having much luck. It's version 5.06, which I finally found here: https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/releases ("latest_commit"). That .exe and yours are the same size but I'm getting different checksums for them (using "cksum $filename" on Ubuntu-on-Windows).

Allay my fears, man! Where's your MUSHclient.exe install from?

Makes everything so much easier for me. No more getting lost in text or having to check inv every few mins. Name system is amazing, too.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on October 25, 2018, 09:41:17 PM
So I'm trying to validate your MUSHclient.exe and just not having much luck. It's version 5.06, which I finally found here: https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/releases ("latest_commit"). That .exe and yours are the same size but I'm getting different checksums for them (using "cksum $filename" on Ubuntu-on-Windows).

That's the same place I downloaded the client from. Not 100% sure how checksums work or anything, so I can't really help you there. But all the code is open-source so feel free to look for any vulnerabilities if you feel the need.

Also, thank you everybody for your feedback and support!

Omg I WOULDN'T GET HOPELESSLY LOST IN THE WILDERNESS ANYMORE

Tried to get automappers to work so many times with so many MUD clients. Never succeeded.

Not sure if I'm answering your actual question - but MUSHclient is an odd duck. It downloads as a compressed folder. When you decompress it, you need to load the subdirectory folder to your desktop. From there you can open the desktop icon and select mushclient.exe from the subdirectory. I don't know if that's how you do it on a *ux OS but that's how you have to do it on Windows.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Would this work on Mac OSX?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on October 27, 2018, 12:09:53 AM
Would this work on Mac OSX?

Theoretically it would, but you can only use MUSHclient on Mac if you run it under WINE.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2018, 11:50:21 PM

Not sure if I'm answering your actual question - but MUSHclient is an odd duck. It downloads as a compressed folder. When you decompress it, you need to load the subdirectory folder to your desktop. From there you can open the desktop icon and select mushclient.exe from the subdirectory. I don't know if that's how you do it on a *ux OS but that's how you have to do it on Windows.

They're saying that the MUSHclient executable is different than the "stock" version, so to speak.  This can indicate it's been tampered with in order to do things it otherwise shouldn't.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Akaramu on October 26, 2018, 04:20:40 PM
Omg I WOULDN'T GET HOPELESSLY LOST IN THE WILDERNESS ANYMORE

Tried to get automappers to work so many times with so many MUD clients. Never succeeded.

That's my only concern. Everything else looks great.

You're not going to be any happier knowing that the far western edge of the map is due west 63 rooms from the bar.

If you think the world feels small now ... wait until you've mapped it all out. I still find surprises hidden in little cul-de-sacs I've never explored before (fuck deathtrap rooms) but it's gotten pretty rare now.

New update has been released. Fixes a lot of bugs and inconsistencies. Adds compatibility for Red Storm and the Tablelands to the mapper. A few new commands were added as well.

Quote from: RiftTalon on November 10, 2018, 09:40:03 PM
New update has been released. Fixes a lot of bugs and inconsistencies. Adds compatibility for Red Storm and the Tablelands to the mapper. A few new commands were added as well.

Nice. Is the mapper compatible with the areas around Luir's/Northlands?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on November 10, 2018, 09:45:29 PM
Nice. Is the mapper compatible with the areas around Luir's/Northlands?

Not yet. Working on Red Desert/Luir's next.

Thank you for adding the keepalive as a default. Also, did you fix the glitch when two names are being used at the same time it doubles? And that combat glitch too?

November 11, 2018, 01:58:34 AM #23 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:22:41 PM by RiftTalon
Quote from: MapleNut on November 11, 2018, 01:57:13 AM
Thank you for adding the keepalive as a default. Also, did you fix the glitch when two names are being used at the same time it doubles? And that combat glitch too?

Yep, all fixed.

How does the map function work? Do I need to enable something? I'm a mudlet baby.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.