Crucifixion

Started by MeTekillot, October 23, 2018, 06:57:30 AM

Quote from: Inks on October 24, 2018, 12:28:04 AM
I like the idea of public displays for thieves rather than boring jail cell. Cruxifiction seems okay, but I would get bored soon enough unless there was a way to be rescued, so would want a quit die option, for sure.

Definitely a way to be rescued, if someone comes along and lets you down if 'cage code' is implemented on it. Like the slave/beast cages of old, people would trap themselves inside by accident and need to ask to be let out. Comedy gold, in certain situations.

You don't need crosses to crucify someone.  The most important part of this method is just to have a small, sloping platform to place the feet and a three coils of hemp rope: One for each wrist, the third for the feet.

The exhaustion and asphyxiation stems from the fact that you're having to alternate supports between the shooting pain in your legs from the diagonally down sloping foot support and the constriction of your lungs from being hung by ropes on your arms.  Sooner or later, the pain in your legs gets too much and you can't prop yourself up anymore, slowly choking to death.  This would usually go on for a day to a day and a half.

The draw to using this method was basically a fatal version of a pillory.  The crowd could jeer and toss rotten fruit at the victim over a long period of time.  And it gave the public a slow, torturous death to watch and remember what happens to those who would offend the state.

Lastly, when that victim finally passes on, they eliminate.  As in, they empty their bowels and bladder as the body shuts down.

So yeah, that's the long and short of it, if you'll pardon the pun.  With time sped up, it might be a way to give something rare in Arm: A dramatic death that allows some emotes and speech.

Lastly, to address religious concerns: Christ's crucifixion was unique, involving scourging on the way to Gologtha, as well as a crown of thorns and iron nails.  It's iconic, literally speaking, but this execution method existed centuries prior.  There's no need to attach sacrilege to what was basically a way of executing non-Roman citizens.  Incidentally, Roman citizens were executed by simple beheading.  Quick, clean, and merciful.  You might say that most arena matches would have a similar view by the populace...

...except sometimes the criminal wins. ;)
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: Intrepid on October 24, 2018, 03:38:36 AM
You don't need crosses to crucify someone.  The most important part of this method is just to have a small, sloping platform to place the feet and a three coils of hemp rope: One for each wrist, the third for the feet.

The exhaustion and asphyxiation stems from the fact that you're having to alternate supports between the shooting pain in your legs from the diagonally down sloping foot support and the constriction of your lungs from being hung by ropes on your arms.  Sooner or later, the pain in your legs gets too much and you can't prop yourself up anymore, slowly choking to death.  This would usually go on for a day to a day and a half.

The draw to using this method was basically a fatal version of a pillory.  The crowd could jeer and toss rotten fruit at the victim over a long period of time.  And it gave the public a slow, torturous death to watch and remember what happens to those who would offend the state.

Lastly, when that victim finally passes on, they eliminate.  As in, they empty their bowels and bladder as the body shuts down.

So yeah, that's the long and short of it, if you'll pardon the pun.  With time sped up, it might be a way to give something rare in Arm: A dramatic death that allows some emotes and speech.

Lastly, to address religious concerns: Christ's crucifixion was unique, involving scourging on the way to Gologtha, as well as a crown of thorns and iron nails.  It's iconic, literally speaking, but this execution method existed centuries prior.  There's no need to attach sacrilege to what was basically a way of executing non-Roman citizens.  Incidentally, Roman citizens were executed by simple beheading.  Quick, clean, and merciful.  You might say that most arena matches would have a similar view by the populace...

...except sometimes the criminal wins. ;)

This I could get down with. Crucifying on a cross, much less so. This seems hella more zalanthan to me.
Quote from: Namino on October 11, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
"This is a mugging. Now etwo your weapon and nosave combat."

The mugger brandishes his wooden sword in one hand.

Crucifixion prior to crucifixion was public empalement. Certain countries got so good at missing vital organs and avoiding major bloodlines that a parson could survive for two whole days with a massive wooden spike driven through their back.

Honestly, both options seem brutal enough for Allanak. I imagine a LOT of spindly elf corpses displayed openly.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I prefer the nursery for drawn out deaths.  tossed in a pit to be eaten alive by carnivorous insects sounds much more Zalanthan then somebody asphyxiating on a cross.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on October 24, 2018, 01:01:28 PM
I prefer the nursery for drawn out deaths.  tossed in a pit to be eaten alive by carnivorous insects sounds much more Zalanthan then somebody asphyxiating on a cross.

QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Crucifixion would honestly take me out of it a bit. I mean, it could make sense. There are jade crosses on the Allanaki emblem. It's just a little too rooted in our own history and timeline to not be a bit jarring.

I suppose that might be why hangings/gallows haven't really made their way into the game, as well, RL sensitivities. I'd personally be all for them. I think Staff is willing to play ball in this respect, at least in my last conversations with them about it -- It's just a matter of getting a PC in a position of authority to make it happen.

There are Gibbets up North, and that also seemed more Zalanthan to me than crucifixion.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Stocks might be an interesting idea for punishments in Allanak. Lock someone up to let them suffer starvation and heat out in the open, but not die. Other characters may have a choice to offer food/water, despite it being illegal, or throw rocks and stones at the person, which is always always fun.

I personally do not think crucifixion is a viable option for Allanak. But not due to it's IRL connotations. If nothing else, if crucifixion ever would get done in the game, it would be due to IRL history, not due to it being a viable, logical, or effective method of execution.

Quote from: Dar on October 24, 2018, 05:03:44 PM
Stocks might be an interesting idea for punishments in Allanak. Lock someone up to let them suffer starvation and heat out in the open, but not die. Other characters may have a choice to offer food/water, despite it being illegal, or throw rocks and stones at the person, which is always always fun.

I personally do not think crucifixion is a viable option for Allanak. But not due to it's IRL connotations. If nothing else, if crucifixion ever would get done in the game, it would be due to IRL history, not due to it being a viable, logical, or effective method of execution.

RL connotations and history are explicitly why I oppose hanging people on a cross IG. The other suggestion of a creative way to tie them up that suffocates them while providing a show, though, and does not involve a cross, I can totally get behind.
Quote from: Namino on October 11, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
"This is a mugging. Now etwo your weapon and nosave combat."

The mugger brandishes his wooden sword in one hand.

Quote from: Intrepid on October 24, 2018, 03:38:36 AM
There's no need to attach sacrilege to what was basically a way of executing non-Roman citizens.

It's not a matter of "need", really.  I'm just stating how that would feel, to me.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Feco on October 23, 2018, 06:44:55 PM
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE!

Make PCs who want to make this a thing.  Make it a thing!
My noble wrote a book on the various methods of torture present in the game after observing each one. Crucifixion is one of them.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Am I the only character who has ever died on the Cuddler? Cause reading this thread makes me feel the Cuddler doesn't get used enough.

"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson