I'm baaaaack...

Started by Intrepid, October 20, 2018, 09:29:55 PM

So, yeah.  I thought I'd give Arm a try again.  It seems like a lot has changed from years ago.  I'm touched you guys didn't erase my login--thank you for that, btw.  So, I'm looking to make a character and was wondering if some of the following roles were available:

• Akei'Ta Var.
  • Red Fangs.
  • Lone desert elf.
  • Northlands human/half-elf ranger-type.
  • City-elf in a rinther family.
  • Fale Noble.

What I don't really want to play, just to make sure this does not end up in the list:

• A shitcloak.  Or anyone else with an fecal fetish...
  • Atrium.
  • Sun Runner/Soh Lanah Kah.
  • Pet of a noble/templar.
  • Gemmed.

If you have a more off the wall idea, I'd be willing to hear it.  I tend to play a lot on my own due to some weird work schedules and school, but I'm fairly consistent.  I've been reading the forums and realize that Tuluk has been closed, and the class system has been changed.  I'm still getting to know all of that and would appreciate any advice regarding that gameplay as well.

Also:  Haiiiiiiiiii, folks.  It's good to see you again.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

ATV - nope
Red Fangs - nope
Lone d-elf - nope
Northlands human/half-elf type - sure, if you don't mind playing in a hick-town
City-elf in a rinther family - Send out a family role-call and watch all your family members get systematically murdered, along with a half-dozen other city-elves suspected of being part of your role-call!
Fale noble - Not until the Staff put out a role-call

Only d-elf tribes open are SLK and Sun Runners.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 20, 2018, 09:36:06 PM
City-elf in a rinther family - Send out a family role-call and watch all your family members get systematically murdered, along with a half-dozen other city-elves suspected of being part of your role-call!

Now that was amazingly specific.  And really sad.  I guess it wouldn't be Arm if someone didn't murder you for existing.

On a more serious note, I should hasten to add that my provided list was not exclusive; just roles I know I've enjoyed in the past.  I'm open to ideas that aren't on either list I provided.

Play the North. Be the Conflict the South Deserves™
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on October 20, 2018, 09:56:37 PM
Play the North. Be the Conflict the South Deserves™

The conflict the South deserves...hmm...oh!  You mean the Conclave!?

They're probably not open as a clan, are they?

Random wanderer based out of Luir's is doable. Or out of Red Storm.

There are plots you can get involved in, OR avoid, however suits your fancy at the present time.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

That is a great idea, actually.  I loved Red Storm.  I liked Luirs too, but I'm primarily familiar with the Vrun Driath (Southlands, in case that term is no longer common parlance) region.

I'll table that as a possibility.  Any other ideas, guys?

If you have the karma, dorf scout/Ruk-empowerment murdermachine.

Welcome back!

Most of those big ones from the past are actually closed or demolished and extinct. The conclave was actually retconned and removed from the game completely.

Nobility come and go and you never know when another role call may come up. In the meantime, there are a lot of different options open. Perhaps play a highwayman or raider? The northie breed out of Morin's village works and could be fun. Lots of stuff poppin' in most all parts of the known right now for you to get involved in.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Quote from: lairos on October 20, 2018, 11:01:04 PMThe conclave was actually retconned and removed from the game completely.

Or that's what they want you to believe...

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 20, 2018, 11:10:40 PM
Quote from: lairos on October 20, 2018, 11:01:04 PMThe conclave was actually retconned and removed from the game completely.

Or that's what they want you to believe...

Well they make believing it very easy when the fortress is gone and there is no hint to it. Yes, I am sure we could make up explanations for it, but there isn't a single anything pointing to it or discussing it and hasn't been for years.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Also don't forget to join the armageddon Discord server, always someone on there to talk to and figure out some of the newer game changes that have been implimented. Feel free to send me a DM if you'd like!
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Synthesis on October 20, 2018, 10:33:34 PM

Oh, I like you.  You're funny.  But, in all seriousness?  I won't take all of the hate at a fraction of the power. :P

And also--the Conclave will never die.  Those of us remember it will forever hold Armageddon to that standard.   8)

Quote from: Intrepid on October 20, 2018, 11:44:53 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on October 20, 2018, 10:33:34 PM

Oh, I like you.  You're funny.  But, in all seriousness?  I won't take all of the hate at a fraction of the power. :P

Ehhhh...that's a pretty solid build for an outdoorsy faceroller.  The only thing you'd have "a fraction of the power" of is a sorc, and uh...okay.  That goes without saying.  However, a sorc isn't typically the "getting back into the game" kind of role, I'd imagine.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 21, 2018, 01:18:28 AM
Ehhhh...that's a pretty solid build for an outdoorsy faceroller.  The only thing you'd have "a fraction of the power" of is a sorc, and uh...okay.  That goes without saying.  However, a sorc isn't typically the "getting back into the game" kind of role, I'd imagine.

Nah.  Definitely a few spells I'd be missing that are wilderness friendly.  I'm just not feeling any kind of mage at this point with the new system.  If the full mages were back in play, I'd make one in a heartbeat, though.

To clarify, I'm not meaning to diss the new system.  If you like specialized elementalist subclasses, I'm sincerely glad to hear it.  It just isn't my cup of tea.  I miss how the old system made you play in a different way.  I'd much rather full mage subclasses paired with a main class, and that is just not going to change.  Any choice I make in character creation for "a" type of lesser mage is just going to seem like I made the wrong choice.  And even when I was a full mage, I was glass cannon.  I do not expect for any experience with this lesser mage system to be any better, so I would rather spend my time on a playstyle that suits me.

Good to see you back...I seem to remember you...but who knows, I am old and might be somebody else.
Not all of us like the elementalist subclasses either...Still, I have not tried one yet. But to be fair, combined with a solid main class, they do see to be pretty darn brutal.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on October 21, 2018, 04:05:17 AM
Good to see you back...I seem to remember you...but who knows, I am old and might be somebody else.
Not all of us like the elementalist subclasses either...Still, I have not tried one yet. But to be fair, combined with a solid main class, they do see to be pretty darn brutal.

Hey, X!

Yep, you're probably remembering me right.  It's been several years.  Good to see you too!  I think I'll try something more mundane as a first character.  One nice thing about Arm is that the entry classes kick some serious ass.  And it looks like there is more info on what each class is like, so I have a better idea of what I'm making.

Old timers coming back! Welcome!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Glad to have you back!  Too bad about the lack of interest in tribal elves.  You're missing out!
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Luirs has a totally different dynamic, involving Kurac, Kadius and Salarr.  And something new called the Garrison.

May not be your cup of kumiss, but it wasn't excluded in your list!

Quote from: Brokkr on October 24, 2018, 02:54:56 PM
Luirs has a totally different dynamic, involving Kurac, Kadius and Salarr.  And something new called the Garrison.

May not be your cup of kumiss, but it wasn't excluded in your list!

Yasss. Do Luir's. I really like the changes and new communal areas there. The inner yard has been opened up, come check it.
Quote from: Namino on October 11, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
"This is a mugging. Now etwo your weapon and nosave combat."

The mugger brandishes his wooden sword in one hand.

Shaloonsh, She did not say she is not interested in tribal elves but the currently open tribes...quite a different thing.

I love tribal elves myself...But I cannot force myself to play SR or SLK either. I wish the desert elf tribes rotated now and again myself, Hell, I'd even play ATV. You guys ever put any thought into that? Oh, tribe X has no active players...close, roll a die and open another tribe.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on October 24, 2018, 07:05:43 PM
Shaloonsh, She did not say she is not interested in tribal elves but the currently open tribes...quite a different thing.

I love tribal elves myself...But I cannot force myself to play SR or SLK either. I wish the desert elf tribes rotated now and again myself, Hell, I'd even play ATV. You guys ever put any thought into that? Oh, tribe X has no active players...close, roll a die and open another tribe.

+1
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I should start giving cash rewards to players who are able to not typo my name...
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill