I'm baaaaack...

Started by Intrepid, October 20, 2018, 09:29:55 PM

Quote from: Shalooonsh on October 25, 2018, 01:02:45 PM
I should start giving cash rewards to players who are able to not typo my name...

Shalooonsh

PayPal okay

Thx

<3
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

That extra O and I are mortal enemies though!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Shalooonsh on October 25, 2018, 01:02:45 PM
I should start giving cash rewards to players who are able to not typo my name...

I do know how to spell it correctly but when it comes to actually doing so a compulsion overtakes me to put an extra O or two or three in there.

Shalooooonsh

No cash reward for me!
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Thank you all for the welcome-backs and character ideas!  I will be drafting a character app tonight.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

October 26, 2018, 12:22:11 AM #29 Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:35:42 AM by Intrepid
Quote from: Shalooonsh on October 24, 2018, 02:13:35 PM
Glad to have you back!  Too bad about the lack of interest in tribal elves.  You're missing out!

Hey, long time no see, Shalooonsh!

Yeah, I am chomping at the bit to play a desert elf.  I've simply never liked the Sun Runners.  The Soh Lanah Kah are ok.  To me, it's a case of great concept with not-so great execution.  I'd much rather play an aboriginal Akei'Ta Var or a sleazy Red Fang.

I love the Soh. There's a lot of ways to cut that apple and you might be the change the clan needs, in your eyes. Lots of opportunity for leadership and initiative....

Harmless begins to worry slightly about another experienced vet returning to terrorize the sands as a Soh...
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on October 26, 2018, 09:34:00 AM
I love the Soh. There's a lot of ways to cut that apple and you might be the change the clan needs, in your eyes. Lots of opportunity for leadership and initiative....

Harmless begins to worry slightly about another experienced vet returning to terrorize the sands as a Soh...

So...I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't have a problem with anyone likes the Soh Lanah Kah.  You do you.  And if I felt that the issues I had were fixable, I might be down to play one.  The problem is, my problems with the SLK are by design.  I fully recognize and appreciate that a lot of people had fun with this tribe, and I don't think closing them would be productive if this tribe is actively seeing action right now.  With that said...

...I have a few problems with the Soh from a design perspective:

1) I like the idea of totemic warriors.  I love them, in fact.  What I hate is when a totemic tribe picks only one totem, and it turns out to be the retarded, burrowing ogres of Dark Sun.  You should reach for the stars when trying to find a creature that personifies might and power.  I'm sorry, but I played and ran Dark Sun.  And I have encountered Anakore in Armageddon as well; I just wasn't impressed in either scenario.

What I would have done instead, in the making of this tribe, was to choose four mythical creatures that the Soh hunted into extinction and claimed to have absorbed their essences.  Creatures like a phoenix, a sphinx, something mighty that would give people pause.  I'm just not impressed by Anakore.

2) Elves are opportunists.  They're not human nobles.  They should not be turning up their nose at other pc's that have a magickal edge.  Every elven tribesman is a bulwark against all of the nastiness of the world.  You don't murder your own family when they can and want to help--no matter what tools they're using.  Elves aren't humans.  They aren't above hitting below the belt when it comes to anyone outside the tribe, and that means using any tool at your disposal.  Let the humans and dwarves bitch and moan that the mean elves aren't "playing fair" while you do anything from rob the poor bastards to wiping out potential competitors.  And do it with whatever unfair means you have. 

3) I just don't want to play in a tribe that is outside the rest of the gameworld.  Tribes should have territories in the thick of things, or they should move around in areas where they can encounter others.  Vrun Driath has plenty of hideyholes where the elves can return home after a long day of hunting/wheeling/dealing/raiding.  I should not have to feel like I'm in my own game.  I've felt like this for a long time, long before there was talk here about consolidation.  I don't feel that the Elven Outpost should exist.  If tribes want to gather from other parts of the world to trade, I'd rather see it done in Luir's Outpost, in a section of the market for elves.  A similar place could be alotted in the bazaar in Allanak.  If they're not welcome in either area, an elven market just outside the gates works just fine.  Anything where you're dealing with people, basically.

So anyway...yeah.  This is what the tribe consists of, and I don't think it even can be changed at this point.  The thing is, I'm sure for a lot of folks that these are non-issues.  They'd have to be, since they've been in play for years.  I've played enough options in game that the only thing I fail at playing are dwarves.  But that's a post for another time.